Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Renting the theatre for Video Games?

Author Topic: Renting the theatre for Video Games?
James Waite
Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2013 06:35 PM      Profile for James Waite   Author's Homepage   Email James Waite   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run a single screen theatre on a campus. We don't run movies during the day so we are thinking of letting people use the theatre to play video games. We are thinking of renting the theatre to groups for a set rate or opening it up simialr to the way people see movies and they can bring their own games or play one we have that day.

Does anyone do this and has it worked? I've looked around and I'm not sure if I have to pay anyone to use the games and if I do whom it would be?

|  IP: Logged

Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2013 06:45 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would just make them bring their own consoles and games and charge $50 an hour. It might be fun to host tournaments though yourself with an entry fee and prizes going to the winners. Super Smash Bros. comes to mind...

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2013 06:33 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have done this at several locations.

If you simply do a private rental of the auditorium to a guest or guests, they can play whatever they want - as it is a private function. If you held a public tournament, you'd probably have to get permission. If it were me, I'd contact a local Gamestop and set up something with them for a public thing.

We have used/tested Playstation 3, Xbox, and Wii. I found that the Playstation 3 worked the best. Obviously, you would need wireless controllers. You would connect the system thru your digital projector and your audio system.

Playing a HD Video game on a large screen with Dolby 5.1 Sound is quite an experience.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-16-2013 12:08 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I played videogames on a movie theater screen before any of you. In fact I just released a Youtube video of us playing Mario Kart 64 4 player on a 45 foot screen in 1997. Please be jealous of me immediately.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2013 01:41 AM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you post the youtube link so we can get on right away being jealous of you [Smile]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-17-2013 12:44 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Game Sack - At about 14 minutes in.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: