Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » film companies have no idea what movie theatres DO (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: film companies have no idea what movie theatres DO
Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2012 10:32 AM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so frustrated and amused at the same time, and I don't even know if this is the right thread for this, but I felt like I wanted to pass this along so we all know what we're up against.

I open movies on Thursday, not Friday, and my keys generally unlock my movies on Tuesday or Wednesday. There is one company, though, that only gives me keys to unlock at 12:01am Thursday morning. I find this frustrating because if I do have a problem with a drive, I will have almost no choice but to cancel a show and wait for a new drive to arrive Friday.

This week I wanted to do my QC on Wednesday night because I do actually try to have a bit of a life sometimes and Thursday didn't look like it was going to work. And, as luck would have it, I'm showing a film from the Thursday morning key company. So, I called Technicolor and asked if it was even possible to get a new key, one that would open even 8 hours earlier. I've had to ask for different versions or 7.1 instead of 5.1, but never more time. Anyway, they called me a couple hours later, said it was no problem, and sent me new keys.

Three hours after that, I get a phone call from the film company's sales rep ripping me a new one. "YOU ARE NOT allowed to do that!" she says. (Well, how the hell would I know?) I tried to explain why I even asked, and she yelled at me that she had been in a meeting and someone else approved that and she never would have and did I know that it had to go through FOUR people to get approved? (So, um, if this is forbidden, wouldn't one of those four have said no?) (And, really, four levels of authority? I think we might have a bloated middle management here.) But, I can handle histrionic women. It's not me, it's them. So, this company WILL NOT ALLOW me to have more time. Got it. But this is the part that really made me think for the rest of the day. And this is as near to verbatim as I can remember:

Me: Well, I won't have time to do any quality control tomorrow, so I just wanted a few more hours. I swear, I didn't know that wasn't okay.
Her: If you want to do quality control, we can send you trailers. You open the movie tomorrow, and if you play the movie today, I will have to charge you for another day!
Me: Well, I check the volume levels and framing and everything for each movie, and I need to make sure the movie, like, plays, and I really like to do quality control BEFORE the day of the movie, so if there is a problem I can get a new drive.
Her (slowly and condescendingly): If you need to test something, we can send you trailers.
Me: Look, I know my projector works. I know my server works. What I don't know is if that movie on that drive works.
Her: Well, of course it works. Those are brand new drives. That movie just came out 2 weeks ago.
Me: (pause) You know they reuse all those drives, right? I don't think I've ever gotten a brand new drive.
Her: (pause) Well, you cannot do that.
Me: Okay. I won't.

Okay, so she doesn't understand her own billing system (I don't get charged per day but PER TICKET SOLD) and SHE DIDN'T KNOW HOW THE WHOLE MOVIE DELIVERY WORKS!!! How is she supposed to sell me something if she doesn't know how it works?

I'm still pissed about this.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-11-2012 11:55 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As well you should be.

And yes, the suits don't have a clue. It's a pity you (we?) aren't in a position to tell someone like that to f**k off and just cancel the damn movie.

I don't know how booking and keys work with DCP's, but is it possible for you to submit in writing for every film you book that you demand the key open the film at least 36 hours before the first show? It really is time that the smaller theatres got their voices heard on this whole system that's been forced upon them.

Though really, getting a life of your own? Be serious [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-11-2012 01:03 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know the studio suits don't really care about us and THAT frustrates me to no end. I have a retail day job, and we give the same good service to the one-time customer as we do to our steady big customers. It's just not good business to do otherwise.

What's weird is that they won't give you a QC day if you open on a Thursday. Hell, the hard drives come with a note ASKING you to QC the film, so how can you do it and be expected to fix a problem with no extra day? It makes no sense at all.

Maybe you should just book your movies with that company to open on Wednesday, turn in zero grosses for that day, and if you get a phone call asking WTF, explain that is your QC day since they won't give you one any other way.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2012 03:24 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Let me ask you this, Melanie... when was the last time you had a problem with a digital file that required a new one be sent?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-11-2012 03:36 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edward--when was the last time you worked at a second-run theatre, repertory house, film festival, historic theatre, nontheatrical venue, screening room, or any type of motion-picture exhibition business other than a mainstream, first-run multiplex?

The first-run houses pull in the $$$, and problems with delivery (film, tape, DCP, etc.) are rare there. But there is a huge chunk of the exhibition industry that exists outside of that mold, where problems can and do occur with greater frequency, and where a single lost screening can result in permanent loss of customers.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 10-11-2012 05:20 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a bad copy of "The Thing" sent to me around the tail end of last year. It got to a certain point in the ingest and said "Exception". And that was it. By the time I got a new drive it was Saturday morning. So no show that Friday night.

I've had issues a few times with keys. "Bridesmaids" was one that I had to get new keys emailed to me, and I know there were a few this year as well but I can't remember the titles offhand.

The tech that was here a couple of weeks ago told me that someone also he deals with had a problem with "The Odd Life of Timothy Green" where the movie would play starting with reel two; the start of the movie wouldn't play at all. Some problem with the key for reel one. Apparently DCP's are still divided up into reels somehow and each one has a key or part of the key, which is something that I didn't know before.

So it's well worth the time to play your movie through and watch the whole thing before showing it to the public. At least that way you know what you've got. I have watched every minute of every movie that I've played here since I got the digital cinema before playing it for the public, and I plan to continue to do so.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-11-2012 07:21 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of about 150 movies we've played since the digital switch, I've had problems with exactly one: Red Tails, (dist. by Deluxe) which would play about 3 minutes and then jump back to the very beginning of the whole playlist.

I've never had a problem with a key yet.

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2012 09:21 PM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Edward, I haven't yet. But you know what? I'm proud of my theatre. I work hard to make sure everything is perfect. I'm not running an anonymous multi-plex in a big city. I'm running a theatre is very much the heart of of our downtown. I live in a very small town and this theatre was rebuilt through donations and volunteer labor, so people here town feel are proud that we have such a great theatre, and they are very personally connected to it. If anything goes wrong, I would hear about it, and I feel a responsibility to make sure it stays as perfect as it was the day we opened. And I still get people here who haven't been in since it reopened almost two years ago. If those people showed up and the movie was cancelled, they would never come back. I don't think it's asking too much to have time to make sure that doesn't happen.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-11-2012 10:02 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, your DCP should JUST WORK. You shouldn't have to pre-screen. BUT...

How many times have I been handed a DVD or a Blu-Ray to play that should have JUST WORKED but, instead froze up when it was played?

How many times have I been faced with computers to present PowerPoints to an audience which should have JUST WORKED but which crashed in the middle of a lecture with a house full of people?

How many times have I received 35mm prints that should have JUST PLAYED but which had bad soundtracks that didn't show up until Friday on opening weekend with a house packed full of people?

I can't tell you how many times I have been called into the office when a disc, fresh from the case and untouched by human hands until I put it into the player, froze up mid-show.

I can remember at least two times when computers crashed in the middle of an important lecture, after which I was questioned why this happened.

These things should NOT HAPPEN but they do. Blu-Ray players shouldn't just lock up but they do. Computers aren't supposed to crash but they do. Maybe it doesn't happen every day but it happens often enough that the prudent person should be on the lookout for it.

Now, we're talking about digital cinema technology that is largely untested as compared to film or even DVD/Blu-Ray players. Engineers and designers have gone to great lengths to be sure that these machines are as reliable as possible. Still, hard drives crash. Computers crash. Things go wrong and there is no way to prevent them from going wrong.

They're supposed to JUST WORK but, sometimes, they JUST DON'T WORK.

Now, people are trying to tell us that we can't test our equipment before we attempt to show it to a paying audience?

Ludicrous!

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2012 04:46 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
Edward--when was the last time you worked at a second-run theatre, repertory house, film festival, historic theatre, nontheatrical venue, screening room, or any type of motion-picture exhibition business other than a mainstream, first-run multiplex?
June 3, 2010.

quote: Melanie Loggins
I'm not running an anonymous multi-plex in a big city.
Neither am I.

quote: Melanie Loggins
But you know what? I'm proud of my theatre. I work hard to make sure everything is perfect...
Before you start jumping to conclusions about why I was asking or how I was going to respond...

It's not asking too much to have time to make sure problems don't happen with your presentation, but if there is going to be a problem, you'll probably know about the problem before you get to the QC. I can still count on one thumb the number of issues I've had with a bad DCP file (of the 150GBs of information for a major Thanksgiving release last year, somehow the last 1K of info didn't get uploaded), and I was able to get a replacement file uploaded to my LMS within ten minutes of discovering the issue, three days before the movie opened. Yeah, I QCed that one fully, but for the most part, I only QC now to verify all the lighting and masking cues were inserted in the right places and to check the first two or three minutes of the movie. Cause when you do run a multiplex, regardless of the size of the town, you sometimes don't have the time to QC five new features, like I have this weekend, even if the keys unlock several days in advance (as usually Disney movies do).

I have no doubts that every single person in our business who participates in these forums wants nothing less than the absolute best for their theatres and their patrons. I applaud your desire to make sure everything is perfect for your customers. I do as well, despite having returned to college this fall for the first time in twenty-five years. I trust my managers to be able to pick up the slack. Maybe one of those volunteers can be trained to do a QC, so you can enjoy other activities from time to time.

Just a thought. Take it or leave it. It's all good.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-12-2012 04:23 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melanie. try to ignore Edward's attitude and read the meaning of what he is trying to say. His condescending attitude is well known on here. I have learned to apply a filter to what he posts, because he does post some useful info now and then. [Wink]

Edward: Did you stop to think that not every theatre HAS an LMS to be able to do quick downloads to? A lot of places have stand-alone servers. Brad will easily vouch for the FACT that bad drives can and do pop up, (in fact there is a thread on here about that) and more often than in your corner of the world. It has happened several times to folks here on the Bel-Air circuit (home screening rooms) so it is not impossible or unlikely to happen to an independent theatre. If they don't care enough to send NEW drives out to the Bel-Air circuit, they sure as hell aren't going to bother to do it for smaller operations.

Back to the main point of this thread: A studio with a shitty attitude and a complete lack of understanding of how things work.

I like Mike's idea:

quote: Mike Blakesley
Maybe you should just book your movies with that company to open on Wednesday, turn in zero grosses for that day, and if you get a phone call asking WTF, explain that is your QC day since they won't give you one any other way.
Or, better yet, make the first show of your scheduled opening day be your QC show, report zero grosses on it and sell tickets anyway. [Big Grin] If they holler, tell them to go get [fu] [sex]

BTW, unlike your tech thread, this is one where you should at least name the studio/distrb invovled. [thumbsup]

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2012 09:08 AM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, Tony, I let him distract me from the point, since key issues are nothing new and not unique to my situation. The thing that amazed me was that this (WB) rep thought we got brand new hard drives for each movie. It sounds like a small detail, but it really told me how little they understand. If I'm going to buy a car, I would like to think that the person selling it to me has some idea of what it takes to put gas in that car. Sure, they're not selling me the gas, but it's an essential part of using the product they are selling me. If she thinks that... what else does she think?

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 10-13-2012 10:44 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the people at call centers like that are minimum wage flunkies with an average job span of about three months.

No wonder they don't know squat! Yet, they act like they have ultimate authority... Dipshits!

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2012 12:19 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
His condescending attitude is well known on here. I have learned to apply a filter to what he posts, because he does post some useful info now and then.
[Roll Eyes]

quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
Edward: Did you stop to think that not every theatre HAS an LMS to be able to do quick downloads to? A lot of places have stand-alone servers. Brad will easily vouch for the FACT that bad drives can and do pop up, (in fact there is a thread on here about that) and more often than in your corner of the world. It has happened several times to folks here on the Bel-Air circuit (home screening rooms) so it is not impossible or unlikely to happen to an independent theatre. If they don't care enough to send NEW drives out to the Bel-Air circuit, they sure as hell aren't going to bother to do it for smaller operations.
Thanks, Tony. Did you ever stop to think that a problem hard drive or problem file would still be a problem regardless of whether it's ingested on to an LMS or on to a stand-alone server?

Yes, I know I am very fortunate that my multiplex in a town of 52,500 now gets 90% of its content from Technicolor's Thingest system or Deluxe's Echostar system. I'm fortunate to have a centralized LMS to store all those files. And I'm fortunate to be able to get movie files now up to a week before the start of the playdates because of all these tools that not everyone has yet. But that matters only a little in this discussion. Regardless of whether I ingested Alex Cross yesterday or wouldn't have been able to do so until Tuesday, whatever system management software is being using on an LMS or individual cinema server would still show if the file ingested was corrupted and not ingested properly as soon as ingestion was completed and the list of content on said server refreshed.

In the end, we all want the same thing for Melanie: to be able to enjoy more free time and not be tied up with potential issues in her booth. Let's stay on topic and try to keep the ad hominem at bay, please.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-14-2012 09:43 AM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why open on Thursdays? I can see many headaches from that. Box office reporting, national Internet showtimes listings.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: