Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » British theater deals with noisy moviegoers by hiring ninjas

Author Topic: British theater deals with noisy moviegoers by hiring ninjas
Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-13-2012 08:25 PM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AVClub has a great article about a British movie theatre that offers volunteers black Morphsuits to sneak up on people with phones/loud kids/whatever. I wonder if I could get some of these Nebraska farm boys to suit up for me if I promised a free movie?

|  IP: Logged

Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2012 10:50 AM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm copying it over in case that link dies someday in the distant future:

quote:
British theater deals with noisy moviegoers by hiring ninjas

by Sean O'Neal September 13, 2012

While one would presume that the persistent, fear-induced civility or constant consumption of toffee would be enough to keep an English person silent in movie theaters, there are apparently enough (probably working-class) disruptive sorts who attend London's Prince Charles Cinema that the theater has been forced to hire ninjas to deal with them. In conjunction with Morphsuits, an Edinburgh-based manufacturer of the sort of skintight "zentai" suits popularized here by It's Always Sunny In Philadephia, the cinema has begun outfitting volunteer "ninjas" with all-black body suits, who are then given free admission in exchange for policing their fellow moviegoers, popping up to punish noisy, inconsiderate people with a very "British ninja"-like right stern talking-to.

Here's an account from one recent ninja target, Abdul Stagg, who answered his cell phone during a movie and is terrible:

I normally hate noisy people in cinemas, but I got a call from my friend just as the movie started and thought I could get away with taking it. The last thing I expected was two completely blacked-out people suddenly appearing by our seats and give me and my mates a warning to shut up. It was actually pretty terrifying at first, but then I realised it was a bit of a laugh and a great way to make it clear what I was doing was having an impact on those around me. It certainly made me hang up and shut up for the rest of the film.

Ha, a bit of a laugh, indeed. You are terrible. Anyway, the program has proved so effective that already other British cinema chains are considering adopting it. But not American ones, because people carry guns here.

He's wrong at the end there though. A professional ninja would have no problems disarming a gunman! Maybe theatres should be hiring them for security too!

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2012 02:00 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant!

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2012 11:42 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yea try doing that to the "wrong" person at a Urban located theater and see what happens to these "Ninja". That person who was stabbed in the neck with a meat thermometer for shushing someone on a cell phone a couple of years back comes to mind...

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-16-2012 04:16 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked in the cinema I had arguments turn in to attacks, and the perpetrators have appeared to be the most normal suburban couples.

I go to the cinema in the article maybe 4-5 times a year and never have any problems. It's only the occasional twat who wants to shout out quotes from the 'cult' film you're watching at the screen that really bothers me. I'd wear a ninja suit, but volunteering for another exhibitor might not go down well in the office. I'm also too fat for a ninja suit...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: