Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » UA Stonestown = $3.50 movies; ceiling repairs underway (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: UA Stonestown = $3.50 movies; ceiling repairs underway
Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-10-2012 05:21 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmm....UA Stonestown, which has been an art house since 2002, appears to be dropping that format in favor of second run.

Next week's schedule consists of "Battleship" and "Dark Shadows". Fandango shows a ticket price of $3.50 for ALL shows, maintee and nightime.

Is this a one week "special"? Or is this their new full time policy? I sure hope not. They are more important to the area as an art house.

Mike

|  IP: Logged

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2012 03:08 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Croaro
They are more important to the area as an art house.
Unless, of course, they aren't.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-12-2012 10:13 AM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Unless they aren't"

Not sure what you mean Ed. In this part of SF, the only choices for art house product was the Stonestown Twin or the Empire 3. The empire has not been a relieable source for these films for some time. Only in the last few weeks did they break the hollywood mold and play "Best Exotic" and "Moonrise Kingdom".

Stonestown ahd played the genre for 10 years so they must have had at least some success.

Mike

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 07-12-2012 01:32 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Honolulu is not in the same league when it comes to other cultural happenings such as a world class symphony orchestra or opera as San Francisco but we do have a steady variety of art movies. We have two venues that show them on a regular basis. They are the Doris Duke Theatre at the Honolulu Academy of Arts and Consolidated' Kahala 8.. Before it closed and demolished, the Varsity was also a art house.

In addition to our two art movie venues, Honolulu has hosted a very sucsessful film festival for many years.

-Claude

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2012 01:11 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's rather simple, Mike. There is only one reason why a company would go from following one business model for a theatre to following another business model.

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2012 08:20 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Edward Havens
There is only one reason why a company would go from following one business model for a theatre to following another business model.
And that reason is certainly not importance to the area. Their business was down 14% in a time when the industry is generally up. Sounds like it might be time for a change.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2012 09:31 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And let's face facts: The Stonestown Twin was not a great theatre back in the late 1980s, when I had the train its new GM because I was too young to become a GM with UATC at that time. It's even less a theatre twenty-two years later, with all the advances our industry has taken.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-13-2012 03:23 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark:

How do you know their business was down 14%? The last 6 month or so they have been playing all of the "big gun" titles.

Isn't it better to be an art house at full price making no money as opposed to a second run theatre making no money?

Mike

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2012 03:05 AM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike:

Rentrak is my source for the 14% down. The idea when changing formats is not to make no money. Film rental for a discount house is only 35% vs. say, 50%, as an art house. Per capita revenue in concession is roughly the same, as they both are traditionally low-spending crowds. My guess would be the pricing policy is due to the lack of second run screens in San Francisco proper. It's proximity to the university is also a plus for this pricing policy. There's a plethora of specialty product being screened in the city already between the Landmark houses, the Empire, Van Ness, Roxie, SF Film Society Cinema, San Francisco Centre, Kabuki, Metreon, Vogue, Balboa.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2012 09:21 AM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Spaeth
Rentrak is my source for the 14% down
Mike Spaeth, this is a big no-no stating publicly that you gotten information from their website. Big no-no as I should know as I got in trouble for doing it once.

It always amazes me how people with little to no knowledge of a business's finances knows how a business should be run.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2012 03:08 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see this location doing much better as a discount theatre, rather than trying to compete with the Landmark's over art house films. SF has no 2nd run discount theatres. This may prove to be a unique success for those who don't want to pay $14.95 or whatever the Cinemarks and AMC's are charging now a days. $3.50 for a movie sounds about right to me.

Also, the old Century Cinedomes at Newpark Mall in Newark, CA have gone 2nd run discount also, with a $2.00 - $2.50 admission price. I admit I've been a few times, and have enjoyed it. But on the other hand, I like the old funky theatres, so.....

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 08-03-2012 04:58 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I enjoy Stonestown but I too enjoy funky old theatres, especially those that were once popular. I'm not a big fan of Landmark's theatres but they're the ultimate choice for art films in San Francisco.

I was surprised to see that Stonestown went discount but it was clear to me that they weren't doing well with art.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-03-2012 05:52 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the Landamrk Embarcadero for sure but the Sundance Kabuki is overall more up to date. Hard to get into as it's always full.

Bruce McGee
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2012 07:34 AM      Profile for Bruce McGee   Email Bruce McGee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was wondering out loud about why my theatre didnt play any older titles occasionally, and was told by my tech that I'd better hope that the theatre never started doing this, as this usually is the beginning of the end for a location.

This was almost 8 years ago. I'm still playing first run!

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-04-2012 08:19 AM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Spaeth
The idea when changing formats is not to make no money.
Unfortunately, as that would seem to make the most sense I have seen where a company opens a new multi screen complex and either changes a succesful 6-12 screen location so art, sub run, or first run with terrible bookings in the hopes to drive the location into closing (not paying a large percentage to the land lord, be in a better position to renegotiate or get out of a lease etc...)

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: