Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » I'm looking for a used screen

Author Topic: I'm looking for a used screen
Paul Eckhardt
Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2012 06:11 PM      Profile for Paul Eckhardt   Email Paul Eckhardt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a friend who wants to have an oversized home theater, and wanted me to find out if he could get an old theater screen.

Would screens be usable after they're retired?

Would anybody happen to have any contacts who are dumping any screens in the upper midwest, or could a screen be shipped?

Thanks!!

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-07-2012 06:34 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most cinema screens are perforated, to allow the speakers to be behind it and let the sound through. So, you might have to be careful that if the seats are too close, you'll see the perfs...

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2012 09:37 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are some big cheap screens avaliable on ebay.
carls place

Paul Eckhardt
Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2012 11:56 AM      Profile for Paul Eckhardt   Email Paul Eckhardt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 22x9' screen might just work! Thanks guys!

Also, I just wanna give a shoutout to all y'all theater folks out there who present films with respect and showmanship. I really appreciate a good screening.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-09-2012 12:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few that I've got due to the silver screen changeouts. PM me if interested. I also sent you a PM - look in your profile for the msg. thx.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2012 07:14 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Theatre perf'd screens tend to have holes that are to big for home use, giving you that "screen door" effect.

There are home theatre screens that have micro-perfs designed specifically for home theatre use where you want the front speakers behind the screen, and to eliminate the "moire" effect caused by the larger holes.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 07-09-2012 07:33 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, be aware that the screens in Cameron's link are NOT perforated (even though they appear to be, they are not, they are textured.) So the speakers cannot go behind one of those screens. That said, they look to be very nicely made and would be great for outdoor uses as they show on the site.

I just picked up a Stewart microperf (about 16'6" x 7') that was removed from a home screening room. It is in great shape despite being over 12 years old. It is safely rolled up in the replacement screen's shipping tube awaiting my own screening room to be built. [Smile]

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-09-2012 07:58 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, these woven screens do let sound thru very nicely.

It's a whole different way to do it. Not that I'm endorsing it overall.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-10-2012 09:41 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having tested this woven material -- "acoustically transparent" as it's called -- I agree with you, Sam; it does what it's designed to do quite nicely. It let's you put your speakers behind the screen AND it does eliminate moiré problems -- a great advantage. I am thrilled that it will allow three IDENTICAL speaker systems to be used rather than two normal sized and then those compromise under-the-screen center channels that most people are forced to use in most home setups if they decide to with a non-perf screen because of viewing distance or moiré distortion.

We found the alteration of sound in frequency response and amplitude is not really zero, but the slight changes are very round (no serious dips or spikes) and they can easily be corrected with EQ -- just voicing the room and you've corrected anything the screen added.

The one thing I did observe, but didn't test, is that the material seemed not to be absolutely pure white -- it has just the slightest hint of warmth -- yellowish tint, but again, that was solely by eye, not tested. And if my eyes were correct, it was nothing any different than you might find between one projector bulb and the next. It did nothing at all to compromise real life viewing when we put a picture on it. In fact, the projector we were using at the time had at least four pre-programmed color "settings" that changed hue much more drastically than anything this screen would do, and yet the Sharp projector instructions seems to encourage the end user to choose the color settings that "best suited" their taste. So much for worrying about what slight tint the screen material will do to any sort of white balance reference.

I am going to use this stuff in the home theatre I am installing and expect it will be a very positive change from the "speaker under the screen" syndrome.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: