Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » "Technical Difficulties" lead to cancelled shows (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: "Technical Difficulties" lead to cancelled shows
Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2012 11:35 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Last Monday afternoon I went to a local 14 plex to see a show and noticed a posting in the window stating that "Due to technical difficulties, the following movies and showtimes have been cancelled:" the three movies were SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN, THE AVENGERS, and ABRAHAM LINCOLN, VAMPIRE HUNTER. Strangely, the showtime for each was the last one of the evening, in the 9:45-10:30 pm range. None of the showings between that afternoon and the last showing were being cancelled. (Need I mention that there was a midnight showing of SPIDERMAN that night?) This same theatre last year seemed to have a screen down for "technical/projection" problems every Friday /Saturday night on one screen, again, only on the prime show range (7-8pm). Since this is the one complex that had consistently excellent projection and sound, its hard to believe it was operator incompetance. If what I think was taking place (doubling up on a popular new movie), I have to wonder since this is probably the biggest chain in the country if it is routine practice. Pity the poor person who bought advanced tickets (and yes they were still available on line) and showed up if this is being deliberate.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-06-2012 11:40 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely you know what is going on. They are "interlocking" whatever the big movie is to make more seats.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-06-2012 11:52 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I'm cynical, but on a Monday night I'd be surprised they were interlocking. I think there's a chance someone wanted to get out early and preempted anyone trying to purchase tickets...

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2012 12:43 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, all the other auditoriums were running late in the evening and SPIDERMAN was showing in a number of screens starting at 12:01am.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-07-2012 02:27 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, then the interlocking seems like the most likely answer.

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2012 10:52 AM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How does interlocking work for digital prints? Does each auditorium have to have it's own individual key? Is there a central server that can send the same ingested DCP material to as many screens as programmed. Or is each screen seen as its own individual entity?

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2012 10:54 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A previous employer liked to make last minute changes to the show schedule to squeeze in extra showings of popular titles (I suspect that with digital this will happen even more).

From a customer service perspective cancelling shows is not a good move (especially if there are prebooked tickets).

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2012 11:05 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They probably cancelled those showings because they expected very few to be in attendance. AVENGERS & SNOW WHITE have been playing a awhile and I saw ABRAHAM LINCOLN during the first week of the run and I was the only one there. There would most likely have been very very few tickets sold.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2012 11:27 AM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goodrich does this at the Capital 8 in Jefferson City, MO often when there is a big film on a Friday night. They will cancel a 7ish showing of something and add another show of the big title. They have done it for the last Twilight (cancelling a prime time Immortals show on its 2nd Friday of release), Hunger Games, & The Avengers.

The changes will only be seen on their website and at the box office. BUT after the time has past by (say 8pm for a 7pm show) the changes will go back to the original published times.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-07-2012 06:25 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Paul Linfesty
How does interlocking work for digital prints? Does each auditorium have to have it's own individual key? Is there a central server that can send the same ingested DCP material to as many screens as programmed. Or is each screen seen as its own individual entity?
1) They don't have per-auditorium keys. It's just one key for a given movie (and it expires after a period of time specified in the key itself).
2) Lots of places have centralized library servers for ingesting to individual houses, but that's not necessary for an "interlock."
3) In terms of an "interlock" it's usually where each screen is its own separate entity that has the content loaded and is scheduled to play it.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-07-2012 08:14 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chris Slycord
1) They don't have per-auditorium keys. It's just one key for a given movie (and it expires after a period of time specified in the key itself).
Yes they do.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-07-2012 08:23 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I stand corrected. I presume most of the time they just send out one key that'll run on any house in a given location.

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-07-2012 10:48 PM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll get a key for every screen, even if you're only booked for one screen, that way you can put the movie wherever you have too. So if you have 12 screens, you'll get 12 keys per movie, one for each screen.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-08-2012 01:40 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Each key is unique due to the number of servers on location and each server's SN is listed within each key.

Just another form of a checksum to keep things in a normal operation.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-08-2012 03:56 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The key has nothing to do with how many servers are at a location. Each key is valid for one server, and one server period. It can be a single screen, or an 80 plex.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: