Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Cleaning up PUKE.

Author Topic: Cleaning up PUKE.
Connor Kirkwood
Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2012 04:13 AM      Profile for Connor Kirkwood   Email Connor Kirkwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apologies in advance if this has been covered elsewhere, but I searched all the relevant keywords, and didn't come up with anything like the comprehensive referendum that this very important topic deserves.

How do you deal with patrons blowing chunks in your theater?

In my experience, puke on uncarpeted flooring is pretty easy to deal with. When it occurs on carpet, my standard over the years has been to cover it liberally with coffee grounds (which both soaks up the excess moisture and helps cover the smell), let it sit for a few minutes, then sweep up the mess and shampoo the spot with carpet cleaner.

Tonight, I had someone hurl into one of our restroom sinks. Aside from this being the most egregious of party fouls, it makes for a very difficult clean-up. My only recourse was to spray some Lysol over it to help me deal with the smell, then wipe it out with paper towels. It was a long, arduous and demoralizing process. I'm just hoping that the portion that crept down the drain doesn't pose problems in the future.

I've had someone suggests some kind of cleaning solution, specifically for vomit, that somehow "breaks down the enzymes" and makes it easier to deal with. Not sure if that's an actual thing, but I welcome advice from all of you in the trenches. All methods of dealing with the inevitable customer regurgitations are welcome.

[puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke] [puke]

|  IP: Logged

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2012 11:42 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our theatre orders this stuff that's simply called Indoor/Outdoor Absorbent in a huge tub that, when one blows chunk, we liberally sprinkle over the offending stuff and let solidify for a few minutes, sweep up, and then depending on where the stuff liad, use either a multiuse stain remover (carpeting) or a foamy restroom cleaner (sink/countertop/tiling) to get the last of the goop from the bottom of the pile.

Ditto if someone doesn't quite defecate properly.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-23-2012 11:48 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Connor Kirkwood
How do you deal with patrons blowing chunks in your theater?
Show better movies. [Big Grin]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-23-2012 01:46 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know that at least in Colorado, your employer can't legally force you to clean up stuff like that unless they provide the proper HAZMAT suit and supplies. Most people don't know any better, though.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-23-2012 01:53 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and to be 18yrs and older to clean up accidental bodily fluids..for liability reasons.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 06-23-2012 02:16 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Connor Kirkwood
I've had someone suggests some kind of cleaning solution, specifically for vomit, that somehow "breaks down the enzymes" and makes it easier to deal with.
Not a politically correct solution, and certainly difficult to explain from a safety standpoint but pure lye will break down and "liquify" any organic material floating around a sink bowl and wash it down the drain, cleaning out the drain pipes in the process.

I wouldn't recommend it for the kiddies who normally work and clean up in a theater but a sentient adult should be able to manage it if he's careful.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-23-2012 08:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't see why people puke or poop in public places. I've managed to live 55+ years without doing either. What must those people's houses look like?!

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-23-2012 08:42 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the "I don't have to clean it up" syndrome.

A few years ago I had someone who would pee in the wastebasket in the ladies room. About once per week, and it went on for at least six months. It wasn't a kid either, as I had some shows with no kids in attendance at all where this occurred.

I never understood that. After all, when you're in the ladies room you're already there....

Susan Hoffmann
Film Handler

- posted 06-24-2012 11:15 PM      Profile for Susan Hoffmann   Author's Homepage   Email Susan Hoffmann   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've successfully used a product called Supersorb, which you can find online on sites such as instawares.com. You sprinkle it on and it allows you to sweep up the mess.

Regular clay kitty litter will work, too. Not the clumping kind, just old-fashioned clay litter. Same deal ... you sprinkle it on and it allows you to sweep everything up.

Not sure what to do on carpet as we've never had to deal with that one.

Sam King
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2013 08:46 PM      Profile for Sam King   Email Sam King   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked at Disneyland (yes, haha, move along), the custodial department had this aerosol spray that they would spray on the "Code V" and it would almost instantly all harden. They'd sweep it up, and basically that was it. When I moved on to my cinema days I attempted to research that spray as we used sawdust and boy was it an ordeal. I could never find the spray, perhaps its Disney proprietary, perhaps it's not for indoor use, but boy would it have been a huge improvement. 'Cloverfield' was especially bad to us, at least one Code V a day for the first few weeks.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2013 10:41 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Connor:

When I worked for WalMart we had a product that took care of that beautifully. I don't remember what it was called but you have a couple of WalMarts in your area. Stop by and ask to speak to the Day Maintenance associate and have him tell you what it is.

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2013 04:32 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
Check with any janitorial supply outlet and they’ll carry an absorbent powder or gel product. Despite there being a variety of brands, often marketed for specific liquid messes, all of these products are basically just a silicon dioxide base with deodorizing additives. The silica absorbs water, causing the mess to form in to a more manageable solid, and the additives cut the unpleasant smell. Cornstarch, baking soda, or cat litter can also be used for a similar effect.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2013 01:40 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used per packaged "kits" that can be ordered from janitorial supply houses that come with gloves, face mask, biohazard bag, and all the neccesary chemicals in single use portions. Makes it very easy to issue an usher or supervisor a kit at the start of a shift just in case they will have all the needed supplies on hand. These came in a sealed plastic bag that could be folded and stuck In a back pocket.

Alan Plester
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2013 03:16 PM      Profile for Alan Plester   Email Alan Plester   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We always use the clay cat litter. it absorbs really well, espscially on carpet, then vacuum up, also very good for oil stains from cars on the driveway.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 04-01-2013 03:57 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We buy Super Sorb by the case. Works very well.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: