Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Advertising 35mm! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Advertising 35mm!
Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2012 12:42 AM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got an email today from CinemaSF, which runs the Balboa and Vogue theatres in San Francisco, advertising that they will be the only theatre in San Francisco running the Batman Marathon in 35mm!

Here is an excerpt from the email:

"We have a very exciting Dark Knight announcement: Due to the amazing persistence of Jan Klingelhofer (our booker extraordinaire), we will not only be showing BATMAN BEGINS, THE DARK KNIGHT, and THE DARK KNIGHT RISES all in a row on Thursday, July 19 at the Balboa, but we will have them exclusively in 35mm!!! We will be the only venue in the city to screen the marathon in 35mm. Wooo Hooo!"

They will actually probably be the only theatre in San Francisco running The Dark Knight Rises in 35mm when all is said and done. I'm pretty sure all other venues, including the Presidio and 4 Star, with the exception of a few Landmarks, have gone digital.

Will theatres advertising that they are showing movies using 35mm film be attractive for niche movie goers? Will it bring more patrons to the theatre who might be a bit nostalgic in their movie going experience? Is it something worth advertising?

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-23-2012 09:26 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Eric Hooper
I'm pretty sure all other venues, including the Presidio and 4 Star, with the exception of a few Landmarks, have gone digital.
FYI: The Presidio & Marina theaters,'went digital' this weekend.
The 4-Star (which just turned 100 yrs old) is still film.

As for your basic question- - knowing a venue was projecting
35mm would attract my business, especially if it were a
'classic' old film. But that's just "me", and my preference.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-23-2012 11:31 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Yawn*

It wouldn't attract me, since I suspect that all of these 35mm prints were derived from digital intermediates, in which case the DCP is closer to the original source material -- and an exact copy of it -- and not subject to accumulation of dust, scratches and mechanical artifacts inherent in film projection.

(And should I also mention high-speed printing?)

(And isn't it logical to assume that these are likely used prints?)

The way I see it, when you strike a film print from a DI you don't really gain anything except the analog defects which a good projectionist tries his/her best to mitigate. The film-huggers may find those defects to have a certain kind of "charm" but they are simply miscalibrated poseurs.

Real film lovers -- who have seen film at its best -- hate seeing dirt, scratches and splices in a print. And ideally there would never be any jump/weave but that's a practical impossibility with 35mm. So a certain amount is TOLERATED, which is very different from "being in love with it."

And, no -- I don't care if the movie was "shot on film."

And, no -- not even if it was shot in 70mm or IMAX.

Shooting on film is great and all -- but the fact is that a lot of that detail gets "thrown away" when the DI is mastered and, hence, doesn't make it to the final film print. If the DI is 4K then so is the print. Might as well see it "clean" in 4K digital.

At this point, I'd only make a special effort to see a 35mm print if it was struck from an actual cut negative.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-24-2012 01:10 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
What Manny said. Also Manny you didn't ask the question, just how good is the film presentation at this particular theater?

Many people are turned off by BAD digital (you know, Sony projectors, underlit screens, poor boresight/Scheimflug, 3D box in the projection path, etc). As a result many people think ALL digital is bad, which is absolutely not true. It is just as easy to do digital wrong as it is to do film wrong. The only difference is that it is up to the salesman and corporate suits trying to shave a few pennies off of the equipment spec, and ultimately the skill, dedication and time permitted to the installation tech as to how good even a properly spec'd system will look. As you know, many "techs" are nothing more than non-techs being sent in with bare minimal training who are instructed to drop the projector on the pedestal, aim, zoom, focus, maybe shoot colors and run. There IS more to it than that...if you want digital to look good, just like how there is more to it than that if you want film to look good.

Few people seem to get this.

Getting back to the topic, I can see how if there is a customer base that has been subjected to bad digital experiences how they would flock to this film theater, even if they weren't the best at presentation, so for that the marketing department has done a very good job. Will it actually be better? Highly doubtful. Just re-read Manny's post above.

In regards to seeing the movie in 15/70 IMAX or digital LIEMAX, wow what a freakin' joke. Its sad to know this will probably be the last IMAX film ever. Past that, the IMAX company has essentially turned themselves into a joke, pulling the next "THX". It will work for a little while, then people will realize the "IMAX" name means about as much as "THX" does now...nothing.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-24-2012 06:00 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, if they switch to a 4K DI...the film presentations that suffered from 2K DIs get an immediate boost. 2K Digital cinemas...about 80-90% out there will see no benefit...the film theatres SHOULD look better than the 2K Digitals...the problem of late with film resolution has been the digital part dumbing it down. With more 4Ks happening...this should improve.

Manny Knowles

- posted 06-24-2012 06:19 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Steve Guttag
Of course, if they switch to a 4K DI...<snip>the film theatres SHOULD look better than the 2K Digitals
Only in theory.

In actuality, the film presentations will probably have dust, dirt, scratches and -- if they are plattered -- they will certainly have visible splices too -- all of this on the first day.

How do I know this? Remember when Dolby was doing those inspections way back around 2004? That's how I know. Crap showings already on opening day. Even in Los Angeles, where you'd think they'd know better.

And we all know -- image quality only goes downhill from there with each and every showing.

Digital, on the other hand can look as good on the final day as it did on the first day. And won't have jump/weave -- unless you have a Barco without the lens vibration kit [Frown]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-24-2012 07:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
*Yawn* I suspect that all of these 35mm prints were derived from digital intermediates, in which case the DCP is closer to the original source material -- and an exact copy of it. *Yawn*
*Yawns even more pretentiously than Manny (which is quite difficult)*

You might want to reword that. The original source material is film and DCP would not be an exact copy of it.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 06-24-2012 07:11 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I had something that no one else in my market had, I would be advertising it, too. Doesn't matter if it's film, DLP, 3D, 2D, etc. Whether or not the thing being advertised is actually "better" is immaterial. The goal is to find the people who want whatever it is that is being sold and get them to spend their money at your business.

Manny Knowles

- posted 06-24-2012 07:20 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I get that, Scott. Go ahead and market whatever you got.

I was answering the question of "would you go?" And my answer is, "probably not."

Clarification for Joe -- The DCP is an exact copy of the parent of the DI -- even if the project originated on film, a film print struck from a DI is not the closest thing to the original. The DCP is.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-24-2012 09:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
In actuality, the film presentations will probably have dust, dirt, scratches and -- if they are plattered -- they will certainly have visible splices too -- all of this on the first day.
Ummm, excuse me??? Visible splices? Not in MY theaters they didn't! I always used 8 perf splicing tape or usually ultrasonic splices. If you want to get into a platter argument, there was also no loss of frames (better than manual changeovers), no focus drift at the reel changes (as the lens heats up from changeovers), no sloppy Kinoton-type dousers (from changeovers), no color temperature difference (from changeovers), no light uniformity difference (from changeovers), etc. But for the sake of Steve, let's not go there. We don't want him to get too fired up. [Razz]

And we all know -- image quality only goes downhill from there with each and every showing.
Ummm, excuse me again??? Only at the crappy theaters Mr. Manny! At the GOOD theaters each show got BETTER, and yes there were quite a lot of theaters that would run FilmGuard religiously on every single show. That was the ONLY way to obtain an absolutely flawlessly clean presentation with film.

How do I know this? Remember when Dolby was doing those inspections way back around 2004? That's how I know. Crap showings already on opening day. Even in Los Angeles, where you'd think they'd know better.
Finally an accurate statement from your post. Crap theaters = crap showings. Sadly this was the norm, and as a field guy for TAP I never saw a single "opening day" show that was as good as the first OR last show at the theaters I projected at.

Not attitude, fact. Some people on this thread like Joe (who could also honestly boast that and not be exaggerating) can vouch for those statements.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 06-24-2012 09:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clarification for Joe -- The DCP is an exact copy of the parent of the DI -- even if the project originated on film, a film print struck from a DI is not the closest thing to the original. The DCP is.
I know what you were saying it was just poorly worded. Kind of like if I said "Both of my girlfriend's parents have health issues". Do I mean both both parents or do I have two girlfriends? I suppose the apostrophe could give it away but what if I said it out loud? [Smile]

Manny Knowles

- posted 06-24-2012 09:46 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad -- what percentage of theaters -- platter or changeover -- do you think were really doing a great job with film?

Joe -- it was a clarification worth making.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-24-2012 11:03 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Brad -- what percentage of theaters -- platter or changeover -- do you think were really doing a great job with film?
Then, probably about 1%.
Now, less than that.

Most theaters that put enough money into their presentations with quality equipment, supplies and professional operators have since thrown money into digital. I would say in the US the odds of there being 5 great film theaters currently projecting film that truly know how to handle film and put on a great show would be generous. The bigger problem is those theaters that do take truly proper care of the films are at the mercy of the previous schmuck who handled the print (assuming some sort of revival house like the AFI). In the case of first run, how many theaters could there really be left with enough money to do film right that hasn't converted to digital? Who cares anyway with the godawful 35mm prints being made?

It's just the reality of it all. I never said I liked it. My fondest memories was running 70mm at GCC Northpark. Not just running 70mm...but there, where everything was spectacular.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-24-2012 11:05 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Manny...sorry you throw out a lot of information in a 2K image...while you can harp on films failings...but you seem to dismiss low-res digitals too. Film's biggest problem of late, aside from crappy exhibitors...has been the 2K DI...a digital artifact. Then again, as has been noted else where...those that were crappy at film presentations...they are now crappy at digital too!

Manny Knowles

- posted 06-25-2012 01:13 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think we're at a transition point where digital is not yet as good as it's going to eventually get.

We are comparing imperfect apples to imperfect apples.

Even at 2K I personally prefer the "average imperfect" digital presentation to the "average imperfect" film presentation. To my taste -- speaking practically -- digital brings more than it takes away.

I have yet to see a digital show that was messed up as badly as MANY of the film shows I've seen over the years. Then again, I have seen way more film shows than digital.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: