Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Odeon Leicester Square (London) to become a hotel (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Odeon Leicester Square (London) to become a hotel
Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-12-2012 01:54 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks to Paul Rayton for emailing me this link:

quote: Sydney Morning Herald
London's most famous cinema is on track to be transformed into a luxury hotel.

The Odeon Leicester Square cinema will become a Radisson Blu Edwardian hotel after being purchased by the privately-owned hotel group for an undisclosed sum. Work on the development is likely to commence early next year with planning permission now in place.

The hotel group says it will appoint a team of architects over the coming months and the site will be "treated with the utmost respect", to create something the city can be proud of. The Odeon Leicester Square is known for its glamorous movie premieres, with countless international movie stars having walked its red carpet.

It has been there since 1937 and various restoration projects have helped retain much of the building's original grandeur. Planning permission for the site allows for a 245-room hotel, 33 residential properties, a two-screen cinema and five restaurants on Leicester Square.

A director of the Edwardian Group, Robert Morley, says the hotel will be a landmark development for London and will be a "jewel in the crown" of the hotel group. The Radisson Edwardian group now has 14 hotels in London, after going on a £200 million ($303 million) spending spree in recent months.

I have to confess that I had no idea it had closed as a cinema (but there again not really surprising - I haven't lived in London since 1992 and it must have been at least two years since I've been in Leicester Square).

That's a real shame - AFAIK that was the last Oscar Deutsch picture palace that hadn't been twinned, tripled, knocked down or otherwise modified from its original dress circle/stalls auditorium. I wonder where future royal film shows will take place now?

|  IP: Logged

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-12-2012 02:07 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fear not - this is an error - it is the Odeon West End that is in question:

Odeon West End re-development

quote:
Odeon West End to undergo hotel redevelopment
Published: 31/01/2012 - www.businesstraveller.com

The Odeon West End on Leicester Square is to be redeveloped into a mixed use hotel, cinema, residential and restaurant complex, following its purchase by Jasminder Singh, chairman and CEO of the Edwardian Group.

The Odeon West End is situated on the south western corner of the square, and according to a press release by Radisson Edwardian Hotels, the property has planning permission for “a new 245 bedroom hotel, a two screen cinema, 33 residential properties and five restaurants on Leicester Square”.

No further details about the development have been released at this stage, but Radisson Edwardian said that “Mr Singh and his group are planning to make significant announcements about the purchase in the coming weeks”.

Leicester Square is currently undergoing a major facelift in time for the London 2012 Games, and last year Starwood opened its first W Hotels property in London on the north west corner of the square.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-12-2012 04:12 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ODEON - "Oscar Deutsch Entertains Our Nation" (for those who wonders on how the name came across..)

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-13-2012 06:03 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surprisingly neither of these buildings (Leicester Square or West End) seem to be on the historic protection register so there would be little to stop them being demolished/redeveloped.

The only listed structure in Leicester Square seems to be the statue of Shakespeare.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2012 12:57 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte I think Oscar Deutsch named us after the ampitheatre in Greece but it's nice to perpetuate the other story!!!

Mark, the lack of listed Cinemas in the West End may be because none of the actual auditoriums are original. To take Odeon West End as an example it was remodelled in the 60s and twinned in the 90s. My office is in the Cinema and almost nothing is left of the original auditorium. OLS was restored in the 90s after being altered in the 60s.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2012 02:54 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whilst internal alteration may prevent them getting the highest category of listing, I was surprised that they did not have any listing.

Based on some of the Scottish listed cinemas having a modified auditorium would give the cinema at least a grade C listing with grade B likely for important sites. One of the subdivided cinemas (which had some changes made to the auditorium in the 1959, subdivided 1983 and 1990) has recently been upgraded to grade A.

There are some buildings built post 1960 which have grade A listed status so interior alterations from this period may not have too big an impact on the listing status.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-14-2012 09:02 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe listing has just not come up as an issue, the Cinemas on the square are all pretty successful and the exteriors have been looked after.

Also thanks for the link, I'm pleased to see one of my Cinemas in Scotland is listed even if it is just the exterior!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-14-2012 10:14 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Mark, the lack of listed Cinemas in the West End may be because none of the actual auditoriums are original.
Has anything been done to the actual auditorium of the Odeon Leicester Square, apart from remodelling the proscenium/stage/screen area for widescreen, presumably at some point in the '50s?

I'd have thought that what is there now is close enough to what it was like in 1937 to justify a Grade 2 listing. Would I be right in thinking that it's probably the only full-sized circle/stalls Odeon auditorium still in use as a cinema? The one in Scarborough is AFAIK still intact, but it is now a live theatre venue (the Stephen Joseph Theatre).

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2012 03:51 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you want to believe wikipedia, and I have no reason to doubt the article, then OLS was remodeled to remove much of the original interior in 1967 and since the 80s has been gradually returned to pretty much its original state. The last major refurbishment was 1998.

Oxford Magdalen Street still operates with a stalls and circle and was recently refurbished, although it was previously an ABC. A few of the original Odeon circuit when tripled may not have used the front stalls for the downstairs screens so the auditorium when viewed from the circle is pretty much intact.

Scarborough looks like it has been modified for theatre use as they have two performance spaces.

Allan Young
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2012 07:24 AM      Profile for Allan Young   Email Allan Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A few of the original Odeon circuit when tripled may not have used the front stalls for the downstairs screens so the auditorium when viewed from the circle is pretty much intact.
The Richmond Odeon, although not originally an Odeon when built, is like this. It retains its original 1930 Spanish-style decoration and bloody gorgeous it is too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stagedoor/61349882/

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-17-2012 06:36 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The picture doesn't do this screen justice, it's a very nice place to watch a film, I usually go with my family here if they want to see something. The whole Cinema is looking pretty nice at the moment actually, the foyer retains a lot of original features and was recently refurbished. Most of the remaining Cinemas in the UK built to this level of decoration are now used for live music and theatre, Bingo or Churches.

Edit: It's a petty request but could the thread title get changed? I feel it's misleading.

Lionel Fouillen
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2012 01:04 AM      Profile for Lionel Fouillen   Email Lionel Fouillen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pictures of the theatre before they split it in 2 in the 1990's
Pictures of the new auditorium made from the former stalls
Pictures of the new auditorium made from the former circle
Pictures of the projection booths in 2008
Pictures of the projection booths in 2011

I was shocked too by the title. I saw a few films at the Odeon Leicester Square and West End, mainly in 70mm, when I was a child and a teenager on holiday at our English friends.

Converting the Odeon West End, formerly Leicester Square Theatre, formerly Olympic, formerly RKO, into a hotel is a project that has been around for a few years. It seems they'll do it now.

Had it been the Odeon Leicester Square, the disaster would be complete, now that they split the Odeon Marble Arch in 5 many years ago and destroyed much of the former art-deco foyer of the Odeon L.S. in the latest "refurbishment". That would have left us with the Empire as the only large-scale theatre in London.

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2012 07:14 AM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
could the thread title get changed? I feel it's misleading
Indeed, the clearly made-up "Leicester Square Odeon" reference that has appeared in many newspaper / media reports is obviously misleading and confusing; why not simply refer to the "Odeon West End"?

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2012 06:41 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lionel cheers for the link on the photos. If you look at photographs of OLS from the 30s, the 70s, the late 80s/early 90s and today it would suggest the original foyer was removed whenever the marquee was lowered (60s I guess) and not in the 1998 refurb. Both the Odeon and the Empire look great at the moment, apparently the work on the square will be finished tomorrow after what feels like forever, it will be nice to have premieres with space again!

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-18-2012 10:30 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried editing the thread title and adding the following text to my opening post below, but when I clicked save edit I got "Sorry - the time period for editing your post has expired". Brad or anyone else with moderator privileges: if you could apply the edit as and when time allows, I'd be grateful.

quote:
Note to readers who found this page through a Google search, added when I edited this post and the thread title on April 18, 2012: The news report I originally posted (see below - everything below this paragraph is unedited) stated incorrectly that it was the Odeon Leicester Square that is to be "turned into a hotel" (i.e. it is implied, knocked down and a hotel built on the site). At the time of writing there are two Odeon cinemas built on the blocks that form Leicester Square, a large open space in the city centre of London. Confusingly, one of them is called the Odeon Leicester Square and the other is named the Odeon West End (as in London's West End, the city's entertainment district). The Odeon Leicester Square is, as described in the Sydney Morning Herald article, one of Britain's most iconic and best-known cinemas. Built in 1937 on the site of an equally iconic music hall/vaudeville venue (the Alhambra), it was and still is the flagship venue of the Odeon chain, and is one of a tiny number of Britain's "super cinema" auditoria from the inter-war period that still exists in roughly its original form without having been divided into smaller, multiplex-style theatres. The Odeon West End is also much loved by staff and visitors, but is not the venue I originally feared was about to go when I started this thread. I guess it's not really surprising that a journalist on the other side of the world got confused!

Original post starts here:

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: