Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What's the best vacuum cleaner for clean up? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What's the best vacuum cleaner for clean up?
Fred L West
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2012 08:12 AM      Profile for Fred L West   Email Fred L West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wondering what everyone is using for vacuum cleaners. We have wood floors under the seats and carpet on the walk way and lobby area. Have been using a home system from Sears and need something better but have not seen any on the market. Something more powerful and willing to pickup intact popcorn would be great.

|  IP: Logged

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2012 11:12 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you cannot install a central vacuum system, I recommend a backpack vacuum.

For over fifteen (15) years in my carpeted projection room I've used a Castex Portapac with HEPA filter bags. Had it serviced several times.

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2012 11:45 AM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're using two donated Electrolux cleaners. One is red and has a longer cord. (Sorry I can't give more details, but it was donated do I don't have any more information!) Anyway, they're both fantastic at picking up popcorn. The only downside is that the bags are expensive. I've only replaced them a couple of times, though, in the our first year, because I just cut the bottom of the bag open, empty it, and duct tape it back shut.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 04-02-2012 01:26 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Backpaks are the way to go.

Richard Orsak
Film Handler

- posted 04-02-2012 01:26 PM      Profile for Richard Orsak   Email Richard Orsak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Riccar 8900 Series are incredible commercial vacuums that clean up and away the best out there.

There are 2 models - the 8920 and the 8925. The only difference is being the 8925 has onboard tools, and you can turn off the brush roller when you do hard surface cleaning.

The parts are easily replacable, and you can even replace the individual roller brushes on the stainless roller.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 04-02-2012 03:47 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My theatre is pretty small (153 seats) so this may not be applicable to a larger place, but I just buy "whatever is on sale" at the local hardware store, use it until it dies, then throw it out and get another one. My current vacuum is about three or four years old; it's a Dirt Devil upright that cost me something in the neighbourhood of $120, as I recall. It's a "bagless" model so I save money on buying bags, too.

I have considered purchasing a good commercial vacuum but I can buy six or ten of these for the price of one commercial vacuum.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 01-18-2016 07:34 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 1386 days since the last post.

James Mays
Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2016 07:34 PM      Profile for James Mays     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just sharing my experience. I have a Bissell 86T3 Big Green.

I needed to clean the carpet in the house and I debated between buying this vs renting. In the end I purchased this because I figured in the long run I would use this often. The first time I used this, I was making multiple passes on the same spot and it was getting a lot of dirt out. I will say that the pass forward (push) seemed a lot more difficult than the pass back (pull). The carpet is now wonderfully clean and I do not regret this purchase.

Good thing I read some review sites before purchasing. I can still see this on top list of some review sites so if somebody is looking for the best brand, Bissell is the right choice.

Buck Wilson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-18-2016 07:58 PM      Profile for Buck Wilson   Email Buck Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe those are designed to only be pulled backward. You roll it forward, tip it down, then pull it back slowly.

Rex Oliver
Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2016 01:44 AM      Profile for Rex Oliver   Email Rex Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vacuum cleaner-I am a vacuum cleaner collector-So this is interesting to me.From the commercial cleaning equipment maker National Super Service-they claim their NSS M1 canister vacuum is a high choice among cinemas.They have one of their first models-that came from a movie theater in their lobby display case in Toledo Ohio-it slurped up popcorn and candy wrappers in the cinema for 50 yrs before they ere awarded a new M1 from NSS under a contest they held of the oldest M1 vacuum still in use.NSS will even gladly demo that old M1 if you want.No,I am not a salesguy for NSS just like their machines and have some in my collection.ProTeam is probably the best known backpack cleaner.I could see wheeled canisters as a problem in cleaning auditoriums-they would want to roll downhill!For the large areas of carpets-would suggest a wipepath metal Royal upright.This can clean a path to 18" wide.Another choice is a Powerflite widepath-they make two models-22" and 24".NSS also makes a Pacer series widepath upright.These machines can clean the large carpet areas-like a lobby faster and better than a backpack.The NSS M1 machine can be equipped to clean high up areas-like HVAC vents acoustic padding on walls and so on.

Steve Kraus
Film God

- posted 01-19-2016 03:24 PM      Profile for Steve Kraus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Came with the place but rarely used as the building supplies janitorial service on weeknights. But very handy after a weekend BD party popcorn explosion. Also: A small Shop-Vac, a hand-held Dirt Devil, and a Rug Doctor (the older larger rental model, with the upholstery tool).

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-19-2016 04:53 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Temple Theatre in Saginaw, Michigan used a similar appearing vacuum cleaner and it was called "The Pig".

The most interesting cleaners are the ones where the trash does not go through the impeller.

Several of the old theatres had built in cleaners that were powered by a fan similar to the blower on the pipe organ. Those were made by the Spencer Turbine Company. There were capped tubes that led to the cellar where the trash was collected in a large tank.

Rex Oliver
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2016 12:43 AM      Profile for Rex Oliver   Email Rex Oliver   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Pig" is the patented name that has been given to the NSS M1 by them.This machine could be considered a "hybrid" canister vacuum.Heavcy items like coins,nails,pebbles,nuts,bolts stay in the snout section of the machine.Lighter debris-such as popcorn,candy wrappers,dust go thru the robust suction fan and into the top mounted filter bag.However one of my "Pigs" cleaned up after a beasement remodel and was surprized what was in the bag-many conduit box slugs-bent over by the fan and a peice of 6" long Romex cable!The fan was undamaged.It blades are almost quarter in thick!Glad to see a "Pig" here-they are popular with the vacuum collectors.For the most part even at home the NSS Pig is my "go To" vacuum along with a MD Silentmaster central unit.Another is a Kirby Avalir.

James Wyrembelski
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2016 01:37 AM      Profile for James Wyrembelski   Email James Wyrembelski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I collected them too for a time.

I no longer do, but have a pile of old Kirbys stored in various spots. [Big Grin]

As far as for work. Can't beat an all metal type for the smaller locations. Used Royal metal uprights can be found on the cheap and they'll last forever.

Brian DeCiancio
Film Handler

- posted 01-20-2016 01:47 PM      Profile for Brian DeCiancio   Author's Homepage   Email Brian DeCiancio   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had good success with this:
http://www.thinkvacuums.com/commercial-vacuum/sanitaire/sc899.php

More metal than plastic. If you don't beat them up (like some cleaning services), they are a good machine as long as you aren't looking for HEPA filtration. They have a reuseable shake-out bag and strong pick-up.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: