Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Digital Answering Machine

Author Topic: Digital Answering Machine
Dean Craig
Film Handler

- posted 03-07-2012 11:59 AM      Profile for Dean Craig     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all I was wanting to know what do you all use for a digital answering machine, all I’m looking for is it to announce, don’t need it to take messages. We had a Smart DASA 300, but it died. Any suggestions…

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 03-07-2012 01:15 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have an answering machine on my "movie hotline" number but a few years ago I switched my telephone service from the telephone company to the cable company and they include voicemail with the service at no extra cost. So now I don't have any answering machines at all.

When I had one, it was one of the $24.95 specials from the local hardware store, usually a GE brand as I recall.

However: I do some computer consulting as a sideline and several years ago I set up a custom multi-line answering machine fax machine for a business that, among other things, sorts their incoming voice messages and faxes and archives and emails them to various departments as needed. I've always thought that something similar to this would be useful for my theatre too, where you could press 1 for what's playing, 2 for admission prices and so on. But since I have "free" voicemail it's not currently worthwhile to set up.

However, if you want to look at a solution like this there are two options, depending on how many features you want the system to have. If you just want the basic answering machine, look at mgetty/vgetty. If you want a more full-features setup, lookk at Asterisk.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 03-07-2012 04:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use Interalia DMU that are made I believe in calgary and they are expandable

Philip Jones
Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2012 09:47 AM      Profile for Philip Jones   Email Philip Jones   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're looking for something similar.

Ideally we want it to be able to have 3 options.

Press 1 for this week's showtimes
Press 2 for next week's showtimes
Press 3 to speak to someone personally.

Then if option 3 is pressed but no one is available to take the call it would go to a further message saying "No one is currently available to take your call, please try again later".

I'm in the UK, if anyone knows of any answerphone that does this it'd be great.

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-08-2012 10:22 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try the 'Retell' range of answering machines available from a considerable number of office equipment suppliers in the UK.

Google the name!

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 03-24-2012 02:39 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a managed VOIP system you could get this from your provider as a service.
We used auto-attendants chained together to get similar functionality.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 03-26-2012 09:28 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still have several Smart machines like yours. Louis

Michael Voiland
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-30-2012 09:43 PM      Profile for Michael Voiland   Email Michael Voiland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Grasshopper provides a virtual pbx all managed online.

Timothy Eiler
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-18-2012 07:17 AM      Profile for Timothy Eiler   Author's Homepage   Email Timothy Eiler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use a old windows 95 computer with a voice mail box software that has unlimited outgoing message time and has the capability of multiple mail boxes

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: