Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Technicolor Film 3d

Author Topic: Technicolor Film 3d
Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2012 12:04 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Universal is not releasing The Lorax in the tech film 3d format. The overriding reason is that the director is not happy with the quality of the format. Wow, Real3d is anything better? To my eyes Real3d and Tech 3d are pretty equivalent. Only Dolby is better to my eyes.

Technicolor has agreed to allow lens users to alter their payment structure including offering a per film fee with no min. guarantee. I applaud Technicolor for those changes. This is the second time they have been willing to change their fee structure.

Approx. 300 lenses to active with approx. 180 in use for Journey 2.

I am very disappointed about the Lorax as we did very well with Despicable Me. Even upset my Disney rep in the process.

|  IP: Logged

Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2012 06:13 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what the specific reasoning is.
To my eyes the Tech3D looks just fine vs Real D.

Cameron Glendinning
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2012 06:30 PM      Profile for Cameron Glendinning   Email Cameron Glendinning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's pretty clear whats wrong with it, it just ain't digital [Frown]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 02-13-2012 06:31 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Simple -- studios want to discourage film in any way they can. Some of the ways are subtle -- print availablity shrinking; some are not -- "Sorry, we are just not releasing this film on film because we don't like the way it looks on film (oh irony of ironies).

Too bad Technicolor doesn't use its considerable clout to push Paramount to reverse that decision.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-13-2012 09:28 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
Too bad Technicolor doesn't use its considerable clout to push Paramount to reverse that decision.
This is actually Universal and the Despicable Me bunch. It is my understanding that Technicolor made pretty generous concessions to get the 3d prints made. The movie is expected to go 3500+ locations so the film print will be made in 2d. I can't imagine that it costs that much to make 3d prints.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-14-2012 02:59 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Universal is not releasing The Lorax in the tech film 3d format.
quote:
Even upset my Disney rep in the process.
quote:
Where does Warner fit into all of this?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 02-14-2012 08:32 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The cost of a Tech 3D print is similar if not identical to a 2D print. Louis

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-14-2012 10:43 AM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Where does Warner fit into all of this?
So far Warner is fully supporting the format and I have not heard of any wavering. Paramont says they are fully supportive but they did not release Hugo in the format. Scorcesee has been said to have issues with the format as well. But Paramount did release it in a somewhat limited run.

We shall see.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 02-20-2012 02:50 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty soon, Tech 3D will fall into the other extinct formats of: Beta, HD-DVD, LaserDisc, and the like.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-20-2012 10:25 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and film...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 02-20-2012 10:33 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film isn't going anywhere...even born-digital is being stored on it. Now film as a mainstream presentation medium...that is another story.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-20-2012 12:42 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well... that's what I meant.

But it's hard to be cheeky and precise at the same time [Wink]

Still, as it pertains to this topic -- theaters getting/not getting 3D film prints of mainstream releases -- film is indeed going the way of the LaserDisc.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: