Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Higher ticket prices on weekends? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Higher ticket prices on weekends?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-30-2012 01:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed at the Billings Carmike cinemas that they charge 25¢ more on Friday and Saturday evenings than the rest of the week. Is that chain-wide and are other places doing this?

We have a "discount night" on Mondays where we lower the price by a dollar but our weekends and other weeknights are all the same price.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-30-2012 01:19 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to have a "discount night" on Thursdays, which is the last night of the movie. I called it "Sheep Night". Everyone got in for the Child admission price.

I stopped that a while back because I figured it was doing nothing other than costing me money. A lot of people who came on Thursdays were surprised when they got change back, so they obviously didn't know or care that it was "Sheep Night".

Now the admission price is the admission price, every day of the week.

I do get the odd person asking if there are any discount nights but it's not very often -- maybe one or two inquiries per year.

Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2012 02:15 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Sundance chain does this pretty heavily. Here is the chart from their flagship theatre in San Francisco's website . They charge these prices on top of their base ticket price depending on the time and day of the showing.

Show-------------M-Th----F-S-----Su
#1 - 12pm-------none----$1.00---$1.50
#2 - 2pm--------$1.00---$1.50---$2.00
#3 - 5pm--------$1.50---$2.00---$2.00
#4 - 7pm--------$2.00---$3.00---$2.00
#5 - 9pm--------$1.50---$3.00---$1.50

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 01-30-2012 02:31 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know some Regal and Cinemark theatres do this, but it seems like they have a 50¢ difference. I think the idea is to help boost their weekdays and take some pressure off the weekends. I have no idea if it does any good.

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-30-2012 04:19 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just noted yesterday at Regal Kansas City 18 that their showtimes pricing had a new level for mid-afternoon shows:

Adult Matinee: $7.50
Twilight $6.00
Evening: $9.50

I believe the Twilight shows were shows between like 4 and 6 or so. So going earlier means paying more.

This was a daily rate.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-30-2012 05:38 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In Montgomery Carmike charges 50¢ more on Fri and Sat.
Rave appears to do so also, but they hide their prices pretty well online.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-30-2012 05:54 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like a typical Carmike procedure.

No circuits in this area are bumping up prices for the weekends.

Jim Pennington
Film Handler

- posted 01-30-2012 05:58 PM      Profile for Jim Pennington   Email Jim Pennington   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dubois, PA Carmike 5 Theater Pricing:

Matinee, Adult $7.25
Evening, Adult $9.25
Adult (Fri-Sat) $9.50
Child $6.25
Senior (65-older) $6.25
Additional 3D Surcharge $2.50
Child (Fri-Sat Ages 3-11) $6.75
Matinee (Fri-Sat) $7.50
Senior 65 (Friday-Saturday) $6.75
Super Bargain (4:00-5:30pm) $5.50

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-30-2012 06:04 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they soften the blow to the public with that "Super Bargain" pricing..

...funny how they just want to give more money to the film companies instead of just spreading the increase across the conc. stand items...

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-31-2012 06:57 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the cinemas over here charge more for evening and weekend (offering saver tickets at quiet times). Some offer a certain day at an even cheaper rate (usually Monday or Tuesday), Wednesday has a 2 for 1 offer sponsored by one of the mobile phone networks.

It is a simple form of yield management to encourage customers to visit at the quiet times.

Prices for a local art cinema
quote:
Tuesday - Friday from 5pm, Saturdays, Sundays, Bank Holidays
Adult £7.30 Member £5.30 Concession £5.80 Child £4.80

Tuesday - Friday before 5pm, Late Shows
Adult £6.30 Member £4.30 Concession £4.80 Child £4.80

Mondays (excludes Bank Holidays)
Adult £5.30 Member £3.20 Concession £4.80 Child £4.80

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2012 09:19 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe discount nights do nothing but take money out of your (exhibitor) pocket. Going to a movie is a 2-3 hour event by the time to take into account drive time and waiting for the movie to start. Very few people have that kind of flexibility in their weekly schedule.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 02-02-2012 10:32 PM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Frese
I believe discount nights do nothing but take money out of your (exhibitor) pocket. Going to a movie is a 2-3 hour event by the time to take into account drive time and waiting for the movie to start. Very few people have that kind of flexibility in their weekly schedule.
I agree. I know of few cases where people would work their schedule around a fifty-cent discount.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2012 10:43 PM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I totally got bonkers when I saw that AMC Mazza last week was charging $9 for it's first show of the day (before noon) of 'The Grey' - it's supposed to be $6 - so after getting more than peeved at the manager on the phone - he stated it was in the Cinema Club, my retort: 'so you're selling alcohol then?' 'uh, no' [pause] 'hold on for a sec' [longer pause] 'okay the pricing is now correct' 'thanks'

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2012 06:28 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Arclight Cinemas in Hollywood is notorious for this practice. On Mondays through Thursdays, their Adult pricing (or, as they call them, "Adult Non-Peak") is $13.75 for 2D and $17.25 for 3D. On Friday nights and all day Saturday and Sunday, Adult Peak prices are $16.00 for 2D and $19.50 for 3D. But, if you are an Arclight member, you save a buck per ticket if you buy your tickets online.

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2012 07:33 AM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Frese
Many people have standard 09:00 - 17:00 work days and would be able to go to evening shows any night of the week.

If they save half the cost of the ticket it may encourage them to go on one of the discount days, rather than on Friday/Saturday night.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: