Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Dead Body Found in Cinemark Bathroom! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Dead Body Found in Cinemark Bathroom!
Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2012 12:05 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If my theatre can boast of anything, it is our lack of decomposing bodies in our bathroom. The Cinemark in town can't make the same claim.

The Denver Channel

quote:
Missing Man's Body Found In Theater Restroom After 5 Days

Family, Police Were Searching For Missing Man, Who Died Of Heart Attack

Alan Gathright, 7NEWS Content Producer

FORT COLLINS, Colo. -- The decomposing body of a missing Loveland man was found in a locked restroom at a movie theater in Fort Collins after five days.

The body of George DeGrazio, 66, who had died of a heart attack, somehow went unnoticed for days, slumped in the locked family restroom room at the Cinemark Fort Collins 16, at 4721 S. Timberline Drive, authorities said.

Theater employees noticing a bad odor made the gruesome discovery Saturday afternoon after forcing their way into the restroom.

"The theater employees noticed the smell and they reported it to the managers. And the managers eventually broke the lock and found him," Larimer County Deputy Coroner James MacNaughton told 7NEWS on Sunday.

Family members want to know why employees didn't check the theater top-to-bottom after police searched the area, asking businesses if they'd seen the missing man.

DeGrazio's family had reported him missing on Jan. 9. Fort Collins police found the man's red Nissan Xterra parked in the Cinemark parking lot early Wednesday morning. Police searched the area, but could not find the man.

"If I had the police department saying somebody disappeared in this area and we're trying to locate him, I would be searching every nook and cranny of my establishment," said Dylan DeGrazio, the dead man's son.

"But that didn't happen."

Dylan DeGrazio said he wasn't upset about how his father died. A Sunday autopsy showed he died from natural causes, a heart attack caused by severe coronary artery disease, the coroner said.

But the son is disturbed by how his father's body was found after decomposing in a public restroom for days.

"I picture him just sitting there in this, like, slumped over, eyes open position," Dylan DeGrazio told 7NEWS reporter Amanda Kost on Sunday night.

"That's just the sheer reality of it. For somebody who didn't know George, that is just a corpse rotting in a bathroom, and that disgusts me. That disgusts me," he said.

7NEWS called the theater and were referred to Cinemark's corporate offices. We did not receive a comment from Cinemark on Sunday night.

Dylan DeGrazio said he's hoping his family can find closure, now that his father's body has been found.

"We know where he was, we know what happened and now we can begin to move forward a little bit," he said.

He said the family is trying to focus on how his father lived, rather than how he was found.

"I have faith that he’s in a better place. I know he’s in a better place. We’ll still always have good memories of him, the good ones," he said.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-16-2012 01:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They didn't even go in to clean that restroom for FIVE DAYS!!?

Wow, Joe is right: the theatres in Denver really do suck!

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-16-2012 01:23 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm amazed that nobody checks them after closing time. Even if they aren't planning to do any cleaning, who's to say that a bum or a burglar hasn't moved in and is waiting for the lights to go off to rob or trash the place.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-16-2012 01:39 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the theatres in Denver really do suck!

More like the managers in Denver really do suck - not doing building walkthroughs..

..another "black eye" for a big box circuit.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2012 01:42 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just don't see the logic in this. Who doesn't check a bathroom for 5 days?! Even the overnight custodial staff missed it?

I guess they aren't going to get a good audit score this year...

AJG

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 01-16-2012 02:27 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What kind of bathroom was this? With them talking about a locked door and all, I have to wonder if it wasn't some kind of private, single toilet bathroom typically meant only for use by employees.

I would be really shocked if the man had died in a regular theater bathroom with multiple toilet stalls. If the guy had been decomposing in a regular stall for 5 days that would be a black eye to both the theater staff and visiting customers not noticing it for that long.

He had to be in one of those small, single occupant bathrooms. Still, it's pretty bad for even one of those things not to be checked for days until someone noticed the smell.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-16-2012 02:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It says "family bathroom" in the article. So I think it was one of those single-user unisex bathrooms meant for changing a baby -- also maybe handicap accessible.

Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2012 02:39 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you watch the video on the webpage it shows the "hidden camera" shots the news crew took from inside the theatre, and it is a single occupancy "family" bathroom. I also like how nobody had a key and they had to break the lock.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-16-2012 02:49 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of raises "self service" to a whole new level doesn't it? Louis

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 01-16-2012 04:51 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to go to that Cinemark fairly regularly, and their presentations were equally ignorant. General maintenance was also bad. Really poorly run place.

Haven't been there since they converted to digital, though.

Joshua Waaland
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2012 06:19 PM      Profile for Joshua Waaland   Email Joshua Waaland   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling that the manager of that Cinemark has some "splainin to do". One for not having a key to the door, two for not cleaning the bathroom for five days, and three for not doing a walk through of the theater every night to make sure it is secure. [Eek!]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-16-2012 07:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only thing I can think of are the handicapped bathrooms we had at Mann's Kipling Place 6 (now owned by Elvis). They were single bathrooms that would lock from the inside. The theater was built by General Cinema. Still, these things were checked at closing every single day AND they were cleaned/restocked by the janitorial staff.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 01-16-2012 09:34 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mega lawsuit gonna happen with this one against CineMark - total neglience...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-16-2012 10:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the newspaper seems to have left out part of the quote... after this:
quote:
"I have faith that he’s in a better place. I know he’s in a better place. We’ll still always have good memories of him, the good ones,"
...the guy probably said, "Plus, we are going to be SUPER rich and that'll make us feel a lot better."

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-17-2012 12:45 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plus he got to occupy "his seat" a lot longer thsn anyone else ever did at a cinema. Louias

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: