Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Aisle covering -- carpet or something else?

Author Topic: Aisle covering -- carpet or something else?
Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 01-03-2012 04:38 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since the carpet that covers the aisle in my auditorium is starting to wear out, it's time to get it replaced.

It's a high-quality commercial carpet called, I believe, closed-loop nylon. It has lasted almost 20 years and it would actually go a few more years except that a wood sliver (or something) in the middle of the entrance ramp has come loose and there's no way to fix it without ripping the carpet off of the floor and leaving it the way that it is will wear a hole in that spot before too much longer.

Of course, everything bad that could possibly happen to a carpet has happened to that one over the years. I have my own carpet steam cleaning machine that I use to clean the auditorium aisle every few months when it looks like it needs it.

My question, before I just go and order another one of the same (or as close to it as I can get now) is if there may be something better (longer lasting? easier to clean?) than a regular commercial carpet for that application. Do any of you have anything other than a commercial carpet in your aisle?

|  IP: Logged

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-03-2012 06:53 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a low pile so it won't mat and a busy pattern that will blend in with stains and spills.

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2012 06:55 PM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't recommend anything other than commercial, because that's what I have, but I will say this: our roll carpet didn't come in time, so we were "upgraded" to carpet tiles. I was told at the time that it was a more expensive, better product, because one could be replaced without destroying the whole thing. But the problem is that they also can't be steam cleaned; the glue comes up and the tiles will start to curl up. In the end I would much rather have had it in a roll. Avoid tiles.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-03-2012 07:00 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill's advice is sound. Don't agonize over the pattern, either. When we replaced our carpet, I saw one I liked right away but we looked at about two dozen other patterns (at least) and then still wound up going with the first one I liked.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 01-03-2012 07:03 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Get a low pile so it won't mat and a busy pattern that will blend in with stains and spills.

The city here owns a 4,000 seat 1927 vintage theatre that about 20 years ago was in dire need of carpet replacement, there was, unfortunately no money in the budget for it. It had gotten into hazardous condition with holes and loose strands everywhere, the risk management dept. said something had to be done immediately. They pulled up all the carpet and painted the aisles with sand bearing traction paint intended for ship decks. Looked like hell but solved the slip and fall issue. New carpet went in 2 years later.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: