Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » How to rescue a leaking Bag in Box popcorn topping?

Author Topic: How to rescue a leaking Bag in Box popcorn topping?
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-15-2011 12:34 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got a box of SuperKist Two that leaks out of its connector. I think what happened was, our employee tried to change boxes but "jammed" the connector in crooked (forced it) and now it leaks. The connector LOOKS fine but it just drips around the edges nonstop.

Anybody had this happen and how can I fix it? If that's not possible, any ideas on how to rescue the contents of the box and use it?

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-15-2011 12:40 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't you just return it? I use premix tanks here, and Pepsi never gives me a hard time about any returns if one leaks. I just give it to the driver on the next delivery run and he issues me a credit for it on the spot.

I've never used the stuff you mention here (don't actually know what it is) but I don't see why it shouldn't be returnable if it leaks.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-15-2011 01:58 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have spare parts, make a tube that has a connector at each end. Hook one end up to the leaking BiB and one up to an empty. Then transfer the leaking one into the empty one. I have not done this with an oil BiB, but I have done it with a leaking Coke BiB.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-15-2011 03:01 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Cox
Can't you just return it? I use premix tanks here, and Pepsi never gives me a hard time about any returns if one leaks.
Frank - no, they come out of Salt Lake City and would be more cost/trouble than it's worth to return it -- IF they would take it back.

I don't have any spare parts here but maybe Pepsi could hook me up with something.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2011 04:06 PM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could slice it open and pour it into a food safe bucket or container. Then lower the bag in box hose to the bottom of the container. You should be able to rescue most of it. Make sure everything is secure though. The last thing you would want is to spill that bucket of oil/butter/stuff.

Richard Orsak
Film Handler

- posted 11-15-2011 04:13 PM      Profile for Richard Orsak   Email Richard Orsak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, I have taken some of those blue paper towels that are called "shop towels" (thicker than normal), and wrapped them around the nozzle like a diaper or tourniquet, to stop leaking on some popcorn oil that I had an issue with once. It stopped any leakage until the bag was emptied...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-15-2011 04:22 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you use Pepsi, the grey BIB fitting has that white plug on the end of it.

If you got an empty BIB, take out the blue middle valve, hook up a hose to the end where that white plug was at, and transfer contents from one BIB to another while the one BIB fitting is still on BIB 1.

I had to do in an similar emergency were a leak had taken place, was to take the delivery hose off our butter system, put on another hose that was longer, ,cut a small hole right below the BIB output on the bag, put the hose in that hole and drew out contents with the box sitting on its end.

Eric Robinson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2011 11:08 AM      Profile for Eric Robinson   Email Eric Robinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course. Monte is right. Why did I make it more complicated than necessary? I guess I'm a true technician.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: