Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Marquee design/build firms

Author Topic: Marquee design/build firms
David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2011 02:11 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone one here worked with a design/build firm that specializes in theatrical marquees.

The last marquee here was removed in the mid-80's. It's loss meant that the theatre has had virtually no street presence for the past 25 years. It's sit's 12 feet back from a two lane road, so drivers have no way of seeing that there is a theatre here.

It's so bad that a good number, if not a majority, of people -- 6500 in a 1.4 square mile area --in Grandview Heights have no idea there is a theatre here. And that really hurts us.

So, we are planning to put up a new, traditional two-panel sign, with under lighting, etc., that would extend out 6-8' from the face of the building. The city has offered to try to come up with some grant money as part of a beautification/business development thing. We'll have to come up with the rest.

My goal is to have something that is designed to be completed in stages. Basically, the frame would be constructed in such a way that it becomes the skeleton for the final version, though initially we may only populate it with back lit panels and Wagner letters.

So, I've decided this -- in a addition to raising the money for a DCI upgrade -- is a top priority for the coming year.

So, any suggestions would be welcome.

-David

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-12-2011 02:31 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how much snow and ice you get in Ohio, but many years ago I learned that the change-the-letter signs are not the answer around here, especially on a sign that's above ground level.

Standing on a ladder in a snowstorm at night chiselling ice away from the tracks so you can slide a letter in or out of position isn't my idea of fun. And you can't leave it for later -- "NOW PLAYING" doesn't mean finished yesterday.

For my own theatre I have no outdoor signage other than a lighted Pepsi sign with my theatre name on it. For the current shows I have Now Playing and Coming Soon signs on my front windows and I hang one-sheets indoors so they can be seen from the street.

I see more and more electronic billboards here and there; as far as I know you just program them to say what you want to say. I have no idea how much they cost or how much electricity they use to operate. But some of them look pretty cool and attention-getting. Obviously not a traditional theatre sign but I've often thought one of those would be easy to put Now Playing and Coming Soon on without freezing your hands and slipping on a ladder.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-12-2011 03:32 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Suction cup letter changeout poles are the way to go when doing marquee .. no ladder for this fellow-don't want to be a 'sail in the wind' on the upper rungs of the ladder when the wind decides to come up.

And a plex across the way from us, the employees uses at 20' step ladder to change their marquee .. Guess, the owner rather face liability charges if one falls off the ladder than worry on employees busting up 8 inch sheet letters worth $1.65 each with a letter suction pole.

Too bad that David can't get signage of sorts out of the edge of the sidewalk so the sign can been seen from a distance on that occupied street so people know that a theatre is coming up the way.. Then, on the face of the building, just have the name of the theatre...and one can put a lighted "mini-marquee" up in the boxoffice window, or on the boxoffice's back wall of features playing with times.

-Monte

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2011 05:25 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Cox
I don't know how much snow and ice you get in Ohio, but many years ago I learned that the change-the-letter signs are not the answer around here, especially on a sign that's above ground level.
Ugh, I know what you mean. I worked at a theatre that used Wagner Zip-Change letters that got frozen to the board every winter.

We currently use Wagner Slotted Dimensional that I've not yet had a freezing problem with.

The goal is to have electronic sign boards.

-David

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: