Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Adding Some New Soda Options (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Adding Some New Soda Options
Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2011 02:44 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Currently, our concession stand has Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Cherry Coke, and Pink Lemonade. We're looking at adding a 6th flavor, and our choices from vending are Coke Zero, Fanta Orange, or Barq's Rootbeer.

Considering our demographic is primarily college students and seniors, which one would sell the best? My heart says root beer.

AJG

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-08-2011 03:59 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In my opinion the root beer would be a good choice.

I don't know how "regional" this sort of thing is, but this what I sell here in order of popularity: Pepsi, Root Beer, 7-Up, Diet Pepsi, Orange Crush.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-08-2011 04:06 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barq's is by far the best choice of the three. We pour about 12 different flavors and most of them - including Coke Zero and Fanta Orange - account for less than 10% of our sales combined.

One thing you might consider is Dr. Pepper. Coke has licensed Dr. Pepper and is starting to allow locations to pour it instead of Pibb. Dr. Pepper is a flavor that will actually add soda sales.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-08-2011 04:38 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just a question... I was once told that once you put root beer through a line it always has to be root beer from then, on. If you try to put anything else through that line it will end up tasting like root beer.

Is that true?

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 11-08-2011 04:47 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, I believe that is correct. Root Beer is one of what they call 'pungent' flavors. You could put something like Pibb through the same line, but you wouldn't want to put Sprite or something else with a mild flavor.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 11-08-2011 05:16 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the tanks that I get root beer in have a sticker on them that says "Root beer only".

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-08-2011 05:44 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would be torn between root beer and orange.

We get the occasional request for root beer, but not too often. And we sell a buttload of Sunkist Orange, especially in the summer. One of our concession kids came up with a drink that includes part orange, part 7-Up and a splash of fruit punch -- it's actually quite popular.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 11-08-2011 05:48 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..which is commonly known as a "Suicide" when you mix all flavors together.

The kids at Mike's theatre are making "Virgin Drinks" - non-alcoholic versions of favorite party drinks.

Put an "A&W" root beer tap in that place and see what happens...

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2011 07:03 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I could get A&W or Mug: Barq's has unneeded caffeine.

According to the campus' vending service though, those three were our only options.

If I own my own place someday, and I'd love to, we'd be serving Sioux City Sarsaparilla.

AJG

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2011 07:30 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Given the three Id pick root beer, we had both and IIRC the root beer sold twice as fast as orange soda, although neither were big sellers.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 11-08-2011 08:28 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I vote for root beer first and orange second.

I'm taking medication that doesn't mix with caffeine. One large cup of Coke would put me through the roof. Even a cup of decaf coffee can give me a hell of a buzz. (Even if it's decaf, there's still like 2% of the caffeine left because they can't get 100% of it out without making the coffee taste like ass.)

So... If the root beer has no caffeine, that's what I drink when I have soda. If the root beer has caffeine, I'll drink orange soda.

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-08-2011 10:23 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Dr Pepper is not available to you, go with the root beer.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-09-2011 03:22 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
which is commonly known as a "Suicide" when you mix all flavors together
Well at our place, you would need to add lemonade, Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew to make it a Suicide.

Anyway Aaron, it looks like you definitely have part of your answer: Stay away from Coke Zero. [Big Grin]

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2011 08:19 AM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know how many kids you get, but I will add this: Fanta does not have caffeine. Barq's root beer does. (Unless you're in Utah.) It's the only caffeinated root beer. We have a lot of parents who offer their kids Sprite or Fanta and are disappointed when I tell them about the root beer.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-09-2011 09:35 AM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Coming from the south, I sell far more orange soda than root beer. I added both recently and had a momentary surge in sales of root beer, but it died out pretty quickly, but orange soda is continually selling.

Unfortunately that line is stuck as root beer unless I want to replace the entire line.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: