Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Movie Tavern Cited for Numerous Health Violations

Author Topic: Movie Tavern Cited for Numerous Health Violations
Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2011 08:07 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie Tavern Hilliard (Columbus Ohio area), part of the Starplex/Movie Tavern chain from Texas, has been cited a number of times in the past few months for violations of health codes.

A June inspection found cross-contamination issues with raw chicken and shrimp. Chicken, pork and butter were not being kept at correct temperatures, and there were not enough hand washing sinks. These were corrected in July, but follow-up inspections in September and October found unsafe food, temperature violations and a person in charge who was not familiar with food safety procedures.

In this area, a sticker is placed on the door of all food establishments. Yellow or red is not acceptable. Movie Tavern is now yellow.

There is no excuse for any food establishment to have so many repeated violations. Sounds like someone at both the local and corporate level isn't doing their job.

We will not be going back to Movie Tavern until this is corrected. If I don't see a green sticker, I'm not going in.

Columbus Health Department Inspection Reports

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-19-2011 12:58 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting reading when you expand the reports found in the link, but it seems the Inspectors can't get their own Code enforcement straight: (Bolds added by me)

From 5/10/11:

quote:
3717-1-05.1(G)

Violation: This food facility does not have the required number of conveniently located handwashing lavatories.

Correction: At least one handwashing lavatory, a number of handwashing lavatories necessary for their convenient use by employees in areas specified under O.A.C. �3717-1-05.1(L), and not fewer than the number of handwashing lavatories required by the Ohio Building Code shall be provided.

Comments: No hand sink is available in the smaller server room. The facility has recieved quotes on hand sinks and dispensers. Complete the process.

And from the very next inspection on 6/6/11:

quote:
3717-1-05.1(G)

Violation: This food facility does not have the required number of conveniently located handwashing lavatories.

Correction: At least one handwashing lavatory, a number of handwashing lavatories necessary for their convenient use by employees in areas specified under O.A.C. �3717-1-05.1(L), and not fewer than the number of handwashing lavatories required by the Ohio Building Code shall be provided.

Comments: No hand sink was available in wait station as required.

Status: Not Corrected - Further action required with a follow-up inspection

And for the pundits, yes I did notice they are talking of two different areas..but if the wait station was not in compliance on 5/10/11 (which it should not have been unless the sinks magically appear and disappear at random) then it should have also been cited and the specific code violation should NOT have been reported as corrected on 5/10/11. [Roll Eyes]

I would not deny that the place has issues but from the inaccuracies (and mispellings) in the reports it seems someone from the dept. has a hard-on for that location. And their inspectors need to learn to be more observant.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2011 03:57 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have spoken to the General Manager of the Movie Tavern location. They are working closely with the health department to improve. Much of the problem was with a malfunctioning refrigeration unit.

When I see that green sign, I'll go back for a pizza. (They make a pretty good one over there.)

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-19-2011 05:14 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those stickers sound like a good idea, visible and easy to understand. We have 'scores on the doors' in the UK (do not think it is compulsory) so you can see what star hygeine rating somewhere has but it's not very clear, works on 1-5 stars and they're black and gold so not obvious when walking in.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 10-25-2011 02:06 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds positively hygienic compared to this place (sorry; couldn't resist).

Mark Hajducki
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2011 04:34 PM      Profile for Mark Hajducki   Email Mark Hajducki   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Food Hygiene Information Scheme in Scotland only has "Pass" and "Improvement Required" results (and enforcement action if necessary), with an award issued to good premises.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2011 01:40 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony B
And for the pundits, yes I did notice they are talking of two different areas.
I'm pretty sure they are referring to the same location, though with different nomenclature. The second report is pretty clearly a followup, as the cited establishment generally only has 30 days to comply.

From the first notation, they presented quotes to get it done, but then still DIDN'T have it done almost a month later.

If you want to see something horrific, you should have seen how they were operating out of this theatre before we took it over. There are more pictures at Concession stand pre-renovation pictures.

All of the pictures were taken immediately after they closed. Below is a representative example, and a picture of the new stand. Believe me, it's worth taking a look at the other pictures on the Flickr page.

-

Note that the brown floor above is plain concrete, completely saturated with oil and dirt. And here's the shot of the (nearly) completed stand we put in...

-

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2011 07:03 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is amazing how little some people care about their job and how it effects others. With all those cleaning products laying around youd think someone would just get sick of working in all that crap and clean is up [Roll Eyes]

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-12-2011 07:08 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MOVIE TAVERN currently has a white sticker, which means they will be inspected more frequently to be sure things are improving. Last inspection on 10/25 showed no issues.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-13-2011 12:39 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark,

I was talking to one of the inspectors a while ago and he said that they once found a restaurant thawing shrimp in the mop sink.

They have pretty good stories.

-David

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-22-2011 10:35 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Latest inspection showed walk-in cooler temp at 49 degrees with some foods above required temperature. Can't they even afford a thermometer?

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 04-05-2012 08:44 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Movie Tavern Hilliard has passed all recent inspections and now displays the green "This facility has passed" sticker.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 04-05-2012 02:19 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the refrigerator was at 49F, then *all* of the refrigerated product was above required temperature (not "some").

David, those pix are GROSS! [puke]

Related: Do they still post letter grades in Los Angeles? IIRC, there was some talk about changing the system.

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 04-15-2012 01:40 AM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Knowles
Related: Do they still post letter grades in Los Angeles? IIRC, there was some talk about changing the system.
They certainly do in the Inland Empire, but I don't know if that system is something the state does, or individual cities or counties. My (very health conscious) fiancee insists on an A on the door before letting us set foot in any of the local (as in Colton/Loma Linda/Redlands/Riverside) eateries. The general opinion seems to be that anything less than an A is basically a biohazard.

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-15-2012 11:15 PM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Leo Enticknap
They certainly do in the Inland Empire, but I don't know if that system is something the state does, or individual cities or counties.
It varies by county. Orange County, among others, remains a pass/fail.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: