Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Theatre and studio sued over the movie Drive

Author Topic: Theatre and studio sued over the movie Drive
David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2011 11:13 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Link to story

quote:
Everyone’s complained about misleading and overly spoilerific trailers at one point or another. They’re all annoying, but they’re trailers. We deal with them.

Well, at least that used to be the case.

Now one member of society who’s so fed up with studios selling their movies in a “bait-and-switch” fashion is taking this very, very serious matter to where it belongs: the justice system! What film provoked her to take such an action? None other than FilmDistrict’s critical and fanboy darling, Drive.

Sarah Deming has filed a lawsuit — which will soon be a class action lawsuit, apparently — against FilmDistrict and the theater she viewed the film at, Emagine Novi. To her great disappointment, the movie wasn’t Fast and Furious enough.

The original story is here ( clickondetroit, via Dave Poland), but one of her complaints is that Drive featured “dehumanizing racism directed against members of the Jewish faith, and thereby promoted criminal violence against members of the Jewish faith.” That was my exact interpretation of Drive as well. Clearly director Nicolas Winding Refn didn’t make a slow-burn thriller, but a total dig at the Jewish community. It was all a little too heavy-handed, if you ask me.

Worst of all, I can’t decide who comes off looking worse in this story: the plaintiff or Emagine Novi. Providing refunds to patrons who didn’t enjoy the movie? That’s ridiculous.

|  IP: Logged

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2011 10:47 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She should be thanking them no sueing them. That trailer got her into one of the best films of the year.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2011 06:42 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the dumbest thing I've heard in a long long time. The movie was a pile of shit so she's pissed. Not enough splosions for her huh, cry me a river.

Michael Gonzalez
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2011 12:00 PM      Profile for Michael Gonzalez   Email Michael Gonzalez   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reminded me of this...

-

Michael Putlack
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2011 03:41 PM      Profile for Michael Putlack   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Putlack   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder what the judge will go with when he throws this out; "Buyer beware" or "You can't judge a book by its cover"...

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-13-2011 08:37 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The movie was good and Ryan Gosling was hot regardless of what he was doing. Enough said, this lady is full of crap!

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-14-2011 09:31 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Diary,

I wonder if it's too late to sue WB because the trailer for CONTACT was so wrong for the actual movie..?

Your BFF,
Manny. <3

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-16-2011 11:59 AM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Diary,

I wonder if it's too late to sue Weinstein because the trailer for The King's Speech featured a line that wasn't in the actual movie..?

Your BFF,
Melanie. <3

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-16-2011 01:27 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Diary,

I've stopped wondering...when I asked, they all shouted at me in unison -- "NO YOU CAN'T, ASSHOLE."

Your BFF,
Frankie <3

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 10-16-2011 04:12 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Diary.

I AM still wondering, can I sue Orion Pictures over that scene in the trailer of 'Dirty Rotten Scoundrels' where Michael Caine shoves an ice cream into a kids face and Steve Martin pushes someone off the pier?

I have already seen this scene, I would like to have seen that scene again - even though I've seen that scene before.

Your BFF,
Ian. <3

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-17-2011 02:06 PM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Diary.

I want my money back and I also want to sue Universal, Steven Spielberg, and the estate of Michael Crichton for not being honest about Jurassic Park: most of those dinosaurs were from the Cretaceous. I am now forever ruined. Those lying bastards.

Your BFF,
Aaron. <3

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-04-2011 09:01 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There has been a bit of a situation in the UK with the Paranormal Activity 3 trailer gathering complaints because most of the footage in it isn't in the actual film. At least one of the major cinemas chains has pulled the trailer from their website.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 11-17-2011 09:32 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks:

One of the best independent films I've seen in a long time!

Mike

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: