Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Increase in scammers (people fishing for free stuff)? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Increase in scammers (people fishing for free stuff)?
Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2011 08:10 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be my imagination, but I swear that the number of people putting forth 'complaints' in a rather transparent attempt to get free stuff has been on the increase...

I am amazed that 1) people can find a 'problem' when one does not really exist and 2)that people are actually brazen enough to come right out and say "what are you going to give me". That just makes it even more obvious that they are only trolling for freebies. It astounds that people simply expect a company to fork over free items.

Now...I have no problem taking care of people or compensating for a real problem. I have no problem handing out passes, coupons, refunds, etc. to help correct a mistake we made. But some of these people fishing for freebies really are the scum of the earth.

Whenever someone actually has the nerve to say 'so what are you going to give me' I am simultaneously disgusted and shocked.

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2011 08:37 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There seems to be a "sense of entitlement" amongst the masses. The "Generation of Swine" which Hunter S.Thompson wrote about over 20 years ago have produced more piglets.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2011 10:38 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I one was working at a box office counter and had someone come in to see a film that we had had to cancel for some reason or another.

He actually said "What do I get?"

Fair enough if he had already bought a ticket and had been in the cinema already and we had to stop a show. But compensation from just walking in from the street? A little bit much.

I'm sure we must have a "Show times can be subject to change...." type disclaimer on our website somewhere.

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2011 11:16 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Michael Brown
someone come in to see a film that we had had to cancel for some reason or another.

He actually said "What do I get?"

Heck, at least with that one you could argue the guest was inconvenienced. If that show was advertised at some point, and that guy drove all the way to the theatre, then he has been inconvenienced.

I should say that I am one of those types who is ready to give out passes, refunds, coupons, etc. even under questionable circumstances. I feel the need to mention this tendency because, if *I* think it is ridiculous to demand or give compensation then it really must be pretty ridiculous.

Edited to correct pathetic grammatical errors...

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-08-2011 11:19 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
@Michael: I had this happen a few days ago, but the customer showed up for something we had to cancel before we had had a chance to update our web site or recording. Since they had to drive 30 minutes to get to us, I felt fine giving them free passes.

It would be different if the change had been a day or two previously.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2011 08:29 AM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're always going to get people fishing for comps. The last Cinema I worked in had CCTV everywhere so we would ask for the time they purchased their ticket so we could see exactly what their visit was like. That usually sorted out the legitimate concerns.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-09-2011 01:02 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Carey Barber
but I swear that the number of people putting forth 'complaints' in a rather transparent attempt to get free stuff has been on the increase
... one of the results of a weak economy....

Rick Raskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2011 03:51 PM      Profile for Rick Raskin   Email Rick Raskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Customer: It's my Birthday, what do I get?
Me: How old are you?
Customer: Never mind.

For real!

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 10-09-2011 04:18 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well known local car dealer : "So, what do you do for a living?"

Me : "I'm projectionist/Duty manager at the XYZ Arthouse Cinema"

Well known local car dealer : So, do I get free tickets?"

Me : "Sure, do I get a free car?"

I didn't get a car so he never got free tickets.

Dillweed.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2011 04:34 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like the sound of your post, you need to buy me dinner. Hurry up, I starving. [beer]

Carey Barber
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2011 04:47 PM      Profile for Carey Barber   Email Carey Barber   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So...have any of you observed an increase in this behavior in recent years? Or, am I just imagining things?

(NOTE: I used to spend much more time in the booth so maybe I was just out of touch. But, I have also worked at other locations that did not seem to have quite as much a problem with this)

And for those who have been in the business for multiple decades...Was this a common phenomenon 10, 20, 30 years ago?

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 10-09-2011 05:37 PM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Customer): "What do I get?"

(You): "Here's a gift card for a competitor. Go see something there. If I ever catch you in here again, I will have you charged with trespassing."

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2011 09:50 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not a new phenomenon, but it has gotten worse during our most recent financial crisis.

Dennis Benjamin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2011 09:27 PM      Profile for Dennis Benjamin   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Benjamin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn Gypsys...

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 10-11-2011 11:46 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Sam Graham
(Customer): "What do I get?"

(You): "Here's a gift card for a competitor. Go see something there. If I ever catch you in here again, I will have you charged with trespassing."

Ah Sam...tis the joy of running your own place. [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: