Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Booking agents?

Author Topic: Booking agents?
Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2011 08:26 AM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you use one? Are you happy with him/her? What all does this person do for you? And, if you don't mind if I ask, what do you pay them?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-06-2011 12:59 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since you're kinda close to this company:
Film Buyer

I don't do any form of bookings, but heard this company is very good with their clients. They have an excellent track record.

-Monte

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2011 09:29 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are less than a year in the business you should use a booker so all of the paperwork and contacts and history are established.

Most seem to charge $30-$50 per screen per week.

After that, booking your own theater is not difficult and takes very little of your time. You may still need a booker's help if you are in a very competitive market. But most and certainly someone in your situation can easily book yourself. Since you are playing movies that already have a history elsewhere it is much easier to know what will do well for you. Make sure you know how to use boxoffice.rentrak.com very helpful tool.

I book my own 4 screen theater and spend no more than 30 mins a week on booking duties. Most weeks I spend about 15 mins. I like doing it. I enjoy talking to the studio reps.

This topic has been discussed in much more detail in the other movie theater forum. You might want to read those. There was even a thread where a booker claimed they could save you money on film rental but was unwilling to actually prove it. So I am not sure that is much value given.

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2011 12:23 AM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank Rash was my booker in '06. He did a super job of keeping me booked a month in advance. He charged me $150 a month for booking a single screener. He is in Beatrice, NE. His number is 402-223-5719.

Melanie Loggins
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2011 12:26 PM      Profile for Melanie Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Melanie Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Robert, Frank is my booker now. I was contacted, though, yesterday, by someone with whom I am CLEARLY not a good fit. It was actually pretty funny. But it got me thinking about bookers in general and what other people get from that relationship. I just want someone to book the movies I want, not book the movies and then tell me what I'm playing!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-07-2011 02:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found out over the years that a good booker will let you be as involved in the decision-making as you want to be. There are lots of operators out there who just want a quick Monday phone call to let them know what's playing that week; others who want everything nailed down tight a month in advance; and still others who want to discuss the available product and have a part in the decision-making on what to play. That's my category, but I'm always willing to listen to the booker's opinion -- he's talked me out of quite a few films that I wanted to play because I thought they looked good, but he knew we'd tank with them. (The times I've insisted on going with my choice over his, he's always been right.)

Jen Pelto
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2011 03:49 PM      Profile for Jen Pelto   Email Jen Pelto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melanie: I sent you a private message!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: