Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » The 3D trend continues . . . 3D sound (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The 3D trend continues . . . 3D sound
Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2011 09:13 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here it is in all it's glory

Barco Auro 3D sound

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 07-30-2011 09:19 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, we are supposed to post the text as well in the event the site changes the URL. So here it is, again, in all its glory....

quote:
Auro-3D is the next-generation 3D sound format for the cinema industry. Developed by Galaxy Studios and powered by Barco, Auro-3D turns conventional cinema audio into a fully immersive 3D sound experience, with sounds coming from all around and above the listener.

100% compatibility with existing standards
Auro-3D improves the audio experience by making intelligent use of the headroom in today's audio standards. This means that the current formats and channels can still be used for content generation and distribution. No changes to SMPTE standards or the DCI specifications are required. As an exhibitor, you will still receive 1 DCP containing the movie content – your Auro-3D decoder will simply extract the extra sound information from the existing 5.1 or 7.1 track files, when present.

Commercially viable Auro-3D can easily be installed in new-built or existing theaters, in most cases utilizing components from your current audio system. According to your speaker layout, simply adding height speakers can bring real 3D audio to your theater. Moreover, Auro-3D sound processing is similar to, and compatible with, existing set-ups.

A unique differentiator Auro-3D creates a unique differentiator – allowing you to maintain your premium 3D revenues and differentiate yourself from the competition.

Forgive me if I comment on the last line, but this is how I think they can market the new Auro 3D sound -- "Here at Acme Theatres, we differentiat ourselves from our competition -- we have a unique sound differentiator -- it's called BULLSHIT."

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-30-2011 09:25 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Another product doomed to fail.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2011 10:49 PM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah . . . sorry about that. I was in the middle of researching some projector info. when I ran across that, so I was just posting it real quick, and then continued on with my research.

Do they realize human hearing does not distinguish sounds above or below the median plane? We look up when we hear an airplane, because we know from the sound that they are flying, and we look down when we hear a crunch, because we know we just stepped on something expensive.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-30-2011 11:49 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the Dolby "Surrounded" meet, several film-makers when asked about the "future of sound," said they wished for more surround channels.

Aaron Garman
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2011 12:00 AM      Profile for Aaron Garman   Email Aaron Garman   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ugh, this is what happens when marketing students graduate and come up with new ways to make money.

The key to great cinema sound is not any 3D gimmick or more and more channels, but proper equalization, good equipment, and proper maintenance.

I know, I'm Captain Obvious!

AJG

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2011 12:41 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have to wear glasses? [Roll Eyes]
- - or stick some kind of 'sound polarizers' in your ears?

Just shoot me . . . .

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-31-2011 06:32 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The b--- s--- continues! Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-31-2011 06:55 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A great movie sound designer, in my opinion, told me when I asked about "more surrounds" something to effect that more surrounds was mostly an exercise in masturbation. Too much use of surrounds takes attention off the screen, which is where he thinks the sound should be concentrated. I agree with him.

Personally, I would have 5-screen channels before I would want the second surround channel...definitely 5-screen channels before the 3rd or 4th surround channel.

-Steve

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2011 09:22 AM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next: 3D soft drinks. As you drink it, little explosions go off in the cup, and throw soft drink all over your face. WOW! (And yes, special glasses are required, to keep the stuff out of your eyes).

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-31-2011 12:01 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aren't we up to 4D yet? Perhaps we should all reequip for 5D?? Louis

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-31-2011 01:08 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree about this being a product doomed to fail. I don't like the idea of a processor that is artificially creating new channels of sound and doing all sorts of steering tricks to supposedly liven up the mix. A movie should only call attention to the surround channels when it has been specifically mixed to do so.

Audio editing tools are far more powerful and capable than ever before. Mixing and sound panning moves shouldn't be all that much different in principal when applied to something like a 10.2 channel sound field versus that of a 5.1 field. New software gives the sound editor a graphical representation of the sound field. He can visually pan a specific sound element to different points in the room and do so on the time line. It's not as labor intensive as fiddling with a bunch of levels for each specific channel. The mix with more audio channels is simply going to make the audio imaging more subtle and seamless. There's little desire from Hollywood movie productions to do this, even though such a thing is practical.

Digital cinema supports up to 16 channels of audio. Some of those are special use channels, but sound mixes with up to 12 discrete tracks can be supported. Channel assignments are already reserved to allow 5 stage channels as well as 4 or more surround channels. Ceiling surround can be implemented.

If a movie production really wants to create a 10-track or 12-track mix they can do so already and at least get the mix delivered to key theaters without very much work. Unfortunately sound just isn't nearly as popular as it was in the 1990s and earlier. I think movie productions are trying to gear things so they'll be more compatible in the home environment, and that typically means no more than 5.1 channels (and HDTV levels of image resolution).

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-31-2011 03:46 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While DCinema did provide for up to 16-channels (of which over half of them are now spoken for) they did NOT deal with how to mix down a more sophisticated track into the required 5.1 (the defacto standard). Thus, a Surround 7.1 mix does not play in a 5.1 theatre without information being completely lost (the rear surrounds living on channels 11 and 12). At least Sony had, in their processors, the inherent ability to mix down an 8-channel into 5.1 in the event the theatre did not have all 8.

-Steve

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 07-31-2011 04:20 PM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How hard would it be to implement a down-mix feature with existing digital cinema servers? It might take as little as a software update.

Honestly the companies that sell digital cinema products should already be working on something like this to get rid of the need to carry dual audio tracks in 5.1 and 7.1 on the digital cinema print. With a more elaborate audio track (like 10.2) theaters would need the ability to select the channels their hardware can play and have the server down-mix according to those limits.

Harold Hallikainen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2011 05:39 PM      Profile for Harold Hallikainen   Author's Homepage   Email Harold Hallikainen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would a down mix be the responsibility of a server, or of a processor. I'm leaning towards it being the processor's job since it now has to decide what to send to rear surround speakers when 5.1 content is played versus 7.1DS (more of an up-mix).

Would it be possible to come up with a uniform down-mix that works well for all content, as opposed to having the producer make separate packages for each sound format?

Harold

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: