Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Non-POS ticketing systems?

Author Topic: Non-POS ticketing systems?
Teneka Stanley
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2011 04:24 PM      Profile for Teneka Stanley   Email Teneka Stanley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody out there doing ticketing via a Non-POS method? I've been looking for some options for such for a 1 screen historic independent theatre & would love to get some input. Maybe even something historic itself. Any assistance is, as always, eternally appreciated.

p.s....not interested in rolls of admit one tickets. [Roll Eyes]
[Cool]

|  IP: Logged

Ken Lackner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2011 04:51 PM      Profile for Ken Lackner   Email Ken Lackner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I had to really scratch my head on this one. Maybe I am seriously missing something here, but if tickets are sold, by definition, there is a point of sale. How could there not be?

Teneka Stanley
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2011 05:08 PM      Profile for Teneka Stanley   Email Teneka Stanley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my apologies for not thinkin as literal as others...non computerized POS [Razz]

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-25-2011 05:57 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't want a computerized ticketing system and you don't want rolls of admit one tickets, the only other option that comes to mind is the manual style ticket machine. The one I worked with had the ability to dispense 3 or 4 different series of tickets. The problem is you have to buy the numbered ticket stock and I don't even know what the cost is on that.

The other thing to consider is that many of the studio want, or require, tickets with computerized serial numbers to avoid any kind of tampering. I don't know if pre-numbered paper tickets are considered acceptable anymore.

Teneka Stanley
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2011 06:01 PM      Profile for Teneka Stanley   Email Teneka Stanley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i've looked at some items similar to the following...just to give an idea...

option 1

option 2

Ron Loggins
Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2011 10:52 AM      Profile for Ron Loggins   Author's Homepage   Email Ron Loggins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We couldn't afford a computerized POS, so what we did was have 48,000 tickets preprinted. Double roll, so that we still have a "stub" to keep for our records. The cost was just under $600 and we had a local business sponsor the cost in exchange for putting their ad on the back. This only works for us, though, because we have one admission price for everyone. If you were going to do a different price for kids, seniors, etc, this would get ridiculously complicated.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-26-2011 02:04 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You want an Automaticket machine.

Advantages:
- looks sort of old/historic - appropriate for an historic theatre
- makes great noises
- fast
- easy to operate

Disadvantages:
- large and heavy
- staff needs to have basic math skills to complete boxoffice reports
- unwieldy if you have multiple screens and/or many different price categories

Teneka Stanley
Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2011 01:45 PM      Profile for Teneka Stanley   Email Teneka Stanley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think an Automaticket would be awesome....however, it's been difficult to find one for sale [Frown] Any leads on such would be awesome since we want to keep the historic feel to the building.

We will have 3 pricing categories.

Cody Martin
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2011 03:48 PM      Profile for Cody Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Cody Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At the complex I use to work out, we did the following for the drivein. We purchased 2 arcade ticket machine dispensers, a 12volt power supply, 2 TicketFlex boards, 2 counters, and two microswitches. This allowed us to make a homebrew ticketing machine. This was in use for 3 years before an electric surge issue took out the machine. The total cost was around $130 including the case we put everything in.

Christopher Spiwak
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2011 07:10 PM      Profile for Christopher Spiwak   Author's Homepage   Email Christopher Spiwak   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A quick google search turned this up from Tri State Theatre Supply in Memphis - TriStateTheatre.com for $500.

Teneka Stanley
Film Handler

- posted 07-29-2011 02:03 PM      Profile for Teneka Stanley   Email Teneka Stanley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody used Quickbooks for such?...i have no experience with it & someone recently suggested it.... [Confused]

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 07-29-2011 04:17 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Send me an email or give me a phone call or something. I do custom computer programming and consulting so might be able to solve your problem.

Jen Pelto
Film Handler

- posted 08-14-2011 05:05 PM      Profile for Jen Pelto   Email Jen Pelto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, please no uproarious laughter to what I am about to say.

I run a 2-screen theater and like some previous posters have mentioned, some studios want us using physical numbered tickets for certain films.

However, the majority do not require this of us, and we have developed a system that works very well for us:

The ol' pen-and-paper tally mark system.

We of course convert this into spreadsheets and box office reports at the end of the night, but during the rush of people, it is fast, inexpensive, and, once you really get the hang of it, fool-proof.

I refer to it as my "daily sheet". I have thousands of these sheets filed away, one representing each day.

At the top, I start out with the day/date. Then I list each film title, it's start time, and how many people attend each show and at what price. I have a place for concessions, donations, memberships, total sales overall...it's really everything I need to know outlined in one sheet of paper. If you want me to email you a .doc of an example of how I lay out my info, just let me know!

When not physically giving out tickets on slower nights, with this type of system, it is imperative to know exactly how many people attend at exactly what price. Any coupons, free passes, etc. needs to be considered and noted accurately. When we are really busy, the employees are instructed to only "tally mark" "discounted" tickets: seniors, students, members. The rest are assumed to have paid full general admission price. Then, before the show starts, the employees do "head counts" (multiple, when needed) before and after the show, to make sure that we are exact in our reporting.

It really just depends on what system works for you -- if you anticipate running a really busy one-screen, it might be a headache trying to do it "my way", and a computerized POS system will do the same thing for you with less headache (and some will argue, less room for error).

I feel more in control this way. The average amount of money a person spends on concessions per feature (or day) is just an arthritic calculation away. I catch ALL sneak-ins and weird activity. I have tangible copies of every single day I've been in business with notes on it -- what the weather was like, why a show was canceled, etc. (for anyone worried about losing computer data).

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 08-14-2011 06:27 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jen Pelto
just an arthritic calculation away
Is that like when doctors count how many joints are affected by your RA? [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 08-15-2011 01:48 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a computerized system but I guess I have to admit, we have it more because I'm a bit of a gadget freak than because we really needed to be computerized.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: