Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Mike & Ikes Goood for allergic problems

Author Topic: Mike & Ikes Goood for allergic problems
Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2011 10:48 AM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have been doing $1 kid shows this summer and of course they bring the tight asses out. Especially those who bring their own stuff and sneak it in.

Today was a first. A woman brought her own theater size box of Mike & Ikes (which we sell). She also had 3-4 drinks not bought from us. Other candy and I am pretty sure she brought her own popcorn in. She claims she brought in the Mike & Ikes because it is one of the few things their kid can eat due to food allergies. I want to believe her, but it kinda seems like a stretch to me. Again we sell them and 40 other candies as well with theater size candy being sold for $2.

|  IP: Logged

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 07-20-2011 04:47 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My standard line when someone walks in the door carrying candy/drinks/pizza box/whatever is "Would you go to a restaurant and bring your own sandwich?"

The biggest thing I've ever had someone sneak in was a case of 24 beer in bottles. Box and all. I found it between the rows of seats when the show was over. That was many years ago and I still don't know how anyone managed to sneak something that big into the theatre without me noticing.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2011 04:58 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Frank,

Are your EXIT doors alarmed?

They sometimes also work as entrances for people and contraband.

That is where the old saying, "Count the House!" came from.

KEN

Jerome Holmes
Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2011 10:21 PM      Profile for Jerome Holmes   Email Jerome Holmes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is no circumstance in which the Mike and Ikes she purchased would have been handled in a different manner than yours in that yours would have allergens while hers wouldn't. They're handled in a facility outside of the facility that handles nut products, and to my knowledge there are no varying recipes for M&I.

If the woman is bringing ALL of that stuff in, I'm pretty sure that she's more allergic to spending money than the child is to anything. Under NO circumstance should a patron bring in their own popcorn, its a flagrant workaround and a common excuse.

Haven't heard of drinks that would be specifically had because of allergies, since likely you have non-carbonated alternatives as well as diet sodas, and perhaps even "vitamin" water or stuff of that ilk.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-22-2011 06:41 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should've said "Oh! That's interesting. What's he allergic to, if you don't mind me asking?"

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-22-2011 11:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, that's a new wild reason that someone can try to fool someone with ...

..at my previous employer, we had security put a stop to these people coming in with outside stuff..

..Monte ..

Chad Souder
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2011 07:09 PM      Profile for Chad Souder   Email Chad Souder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jerome Holmes
Under NO circumstance should a patron bring in their own popcorn
I have one regular who I allow to bring in popcorn because she can't eat hulls and she gets some that they grow without hulls. It's some digestive disease she mentioned and I started to get grossed out when she began to describe it so I just said no problem because she's a regular.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2011 08:36 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Chad S
It's some digestive disease she mentioned
Most likely diverticulitis.

Good thing you're not dealing with the Whiners.

Jen Pelto
Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2011 04:24 PM      Profile for Jen Pelto   Email Jen Pelto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have a few nutty parents that think they are "above the 'law'", too...the "my kid has allergies" line is almost always used. (We have plenty of alternatives for everyone -- and I'm quick to point that out).

I find it rude that people come in with outside food or beverage, clearly ignoring the posted signs on the door, because they just "need" to snack during the movie.

How about the women that come in with cranberry juice and say they need it because it's "medicine"?!

Lord knows your UTI is going to have a wicked downfall if you take a 90 minute break from your cranberry juice consumption!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: