Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Unlisted Phone Numbers

Author Topic: Unlisted Phone Numbers
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-14-2011 02:27 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Carmike Promande 12 in Prattville AL is not listed anywhere in the local phone books. This sounds insane, and it is annoying as people keep calling us for the number, which I don't have and don't care to have.

Do other theatres not list their numbers in the phone book, or is this just Carmike weirdness -- like still listing the Carmike 8 even though it has been closed for over 10 years and was another theatre then a church; or having the Eastdale 8 listed as the Eastdale Triple even though it's been an 8 for about 20 years)?

|  IP: Logged

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-14-2011 02:39 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have an unlisted business number, but we have a published show times line. We also have a customer service number we list at the end of the show times recording.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-14-2011 03:46 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe Carmike wants everyone to check the Internet. (Crazy, if true...)

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2011 05:20 PM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is kind of odd that people would call a different theater, especially one that wasn't even in the same chain, to ask for that other theater's phone number...

Many theaters I have spoken with do not want people "bothering" them on a voice line, so they don't want those numbers published.

While I can understand that it can be bothersome to answer questions about showtimes that could be answered on the phone recording, there are legitimate reasons for people to want/need to have a way to reach a human at the theater.

I should think theaters should be glad someone chose to "bother" to call them, when there are so many other choices for them to spend their time and money.

Talking to the people that do call the voice line over to the recording is an opportunity for customer service. Answer their question nicely, and maybe gently remind them that showtimes are always available on the phone recording and on bigscreen.com [Big Grin] and you've now provided them with better customer service than 75% of the rest of the businesses out there. My guess is that will engender some loyalty on the part of that potential customer.

That said, when we find/get voice phone numbers for a theater, we publish them, along with a note that reads (Please use this number for contacting the management or in case of emergency.)

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-14-2011 06:07 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Jentsch
It is kind of odd that people would call a different theater, especially one that wasn't even in the same chain, to ask for that other theater's phone number...
I'm pretty sure people are calling 411 and asking for the movie theatre and we are the first one listed alphabetically. Lots of the calls start with "Are you the theatre in Prattville?" Most aren't calling us for the number, though some do.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-14-2011 10:49 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People don't realize that there ARE chains. They think one guy owns them all. Yes, I am serious. Louis

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-15-2011 10:02 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that most theatres list the showtime number in the phone book and newspaper/online listings, but leave the office number unlisted. This makes sense, as long as the showtime recording gives out the office number for patrons who have questions or comments.

Interestingly, the Boston-area yellow pages is exceptionally bad at listing theatres. They confuse live theatres with film theatres and also have often listed theatres that are closed (and whose numbers have been disconnected). Until a couple of years ago, they listed General Cinema for AMC theatres. I don't know if this is an issue with the phone company or the theatres themselves, but it makes the yellow pages rather useless in this category.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 07-15-2011 11:26 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I assume the yellow pages is still sending them a bill and they are still paying it.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 07-15-2011 10:58 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On a semi-regular basis I get phone calls/email/letters from assorted promoters wanting to book their live act into my theatre. They see the word "theatre" in my business name and assume that means live, I guess.

I even get a magazine about professional sound recording in the mail once in a while, addressed to "theatre manager".

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-16-2011 06:54 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those who care, here is the movie theatre listing from the Boston yellow pages:

-

-

The Actors Shakespeare Project is clearly not a movie theatre. I have no idea what 44 Rutland Sq. is; Google street view suggests that it is a house, and the phone number rings with no answer. Loews Assembly Square has been closed since 2007 and their phone is disconnected. Moviefone is not a movie theatre. And I do not know what the Oodua African Movie Center is. Their phone also rings with no answer. And hasn't it been almost a decade since Loews used the "Sony" name? And why aren't all of the former Loews theatres listed together, either as AMC or as Loews?

And here is my favorite mis-categorized listing:

-

I'm starting to think that there must be some sort of maximum IQ limit to work for the Yellow Pages.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-16-2011 09:48 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Jentsch
Talking to the people that do call the voice line over to the recording is an opportunity for customer service.
We have just one line for the recording and the office, so when we're open we answer the phone. What I find strange is, when I pick up, the caller is almost always surprised and says "Oh, I was expecting the recording." Some of them clearly just don't know what to say when they hear a real voice and they hang up, only to call back a minute later (after getting their act together, I guess) and say "What's showing tonight?"

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-16-2011 01:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike...you should try answering the phone with the exact same voice and schpeal as the recorded showtimes but change it up a little...maybe keep repeating the shame show or something or just at some point during the routine ask the caller a question.

-Steve

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-16-2011 01:49 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've worked with small companies that have unlisted numbers mainly not to get hammered with phone soliticing and "number harvesters..".

We did answer this office line and was just trained to simply hang up, or tell the soliciter to remove our number from the applied list.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: