Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » CARS only in 2D in a 3-D equipped complex

Author Topic: CARS only in 2D in a 3-D equipped complex
Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-24-2011 11:18 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CARS 2 is suppose to be one of the biggest picture picture of the year but for some reason, Consolidated Theatres here in Hawaii is showing it in 2-D in two complex that has Dolby 3-D. THe Pearlridge West is showing X MEN FIRST CLASS in their digital house and the Kapolei is showing PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN in 2-D instead of 3-D. Only the Ward Centre and the Mililani is showing it in 3-D in each of their Dolby 3-D equipped houses. A big picture like CARS 2 would usually open at the Ward in their Titan XC house like TOY STORY 3 did but THE GREEN LANTERN is still playing in that house in 3-D . Regal is playing CARS 2 in all of their Real D houses so it appears they still have more faith in 3-D.

As much as I love 3-D, I must admit I was among those that did not make an effort to see as much 3-D movies as I would have liked. The simple reason is the added surcharge for the 3-D glasses. I do not know how many films were released in 3-D so far but I would say I had seen only about fifteen percent of 3-D movies released so far. I ha already passed on all of the recent 3-D movies except THOR and will not see GREEN LANTERN and CARS 2 and will wait for the Blu-Ray in about three months to see them in 2-D at home.

-Claude

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-25-2011 12:44 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's basically happening is that 2D attendance is almost 3 to 1 over 3D attendance. And HP7 has 2D sales leaping over the 3D sales on online and boxoffice sales about 4 to 1 right now.

The house, especially these large houses are not being utilized correctly when it has a few attending, or sits empty during operational hours.

Thus, some companies are wising up to this and scheduling more 2d shows than 3D shows, or splitting up 2 and 3D performances in one house - just to get it utilized.

I bet REG Dole Cannery 18 is doing just that: splitting up performances in one or two houses and a third and fourth house has the dedicated presentations.

You need to go see CARS 2 in 3D at the Dole. It's real good in 3D

Sam Graham
AKA: "The Evil Sam Graham". Wackiness ensues.

- posted 06-25-2011 08:49 AM      Profile for Sam Graham   Author's Homepage   Email Sam Graham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's certainly evident here.

The local Cinemarkury has five daily showings of Cars 2 on the XD screen...two in 3D and three in 2D.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-25-2011 02:45 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,

I actually enjoyed the first CARS filM when I watched it on a DVD I had bought. I was planning to pass on seeing CARS 2 in a theatre in 3-D because of the very bad experience I had when I saw TOY STORY 3 in the XC house at Consolidated Ward Centre. It is no wonder Consolidated is opting to show new 3-D films in 2-D equipped complexes because of the high surcharge for the 3-D glasses and very dark 3-D images I saw in the XC house and my first Dolby 3-D film I saw at the Ward. In my opinion, Dolby 3-D is ok when presented properly but cannot compare to a Real D presentation in House 12 at Regal's Pearl Highland 16. The 3-D is excellent there. Even THOR's 3-D conversion was very good. Because of the 3-D conversion the perception of depth was very shallow in the movie but it was still good. I saw the 3-D converted CATS & DOGS at the Kapolei in Dolby 3-D last year and hated the 3-D and the LOONY TOONS short subject because it looked like I was watching a 2-D movie with only slight depth effects.

-Claude

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-25-2011 03:19 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like some of these complexes over there aren't being careful in bulb usage conditions where you're saying one place has poor 3D presentations and the other one can shine supreme.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-25-2011 03:37 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find there's no pattern to what format will get booked at what time. It's still early days for 3D.

Claude, I imagine the justification behind reserving the premium house for Green Lantern is families don't want to spend the extra money, especially when the 'Cars' brand plays so young. You're only getting kids and young men going to see Green Lantern who generally have the most disposable income.

As for Harry Potter 7, we've barely sold any tickets for the 2D showings, and almost sold out the RealD 3D and Digital IMAX 3D main evening for opening night already. The 2D is at 7pm as well which is usually the first to go.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-25-2011 05:38 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..definitely a market area thing then - who likes 2D and who likes 3D - the better of the two to choose from.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 06-25-2011 05:41 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right Monte.

I must admit I was not too impressed when I saw MONSTER HOUSE, the first 3-D film to play in Hawaii a few years ago at the Dole Cannery in Real D. The picture was kind of dark but I was able to tolerate it. The next film, JOURNEY TO THE CENTRE OF THE EARTH was the second 3-D film I saw in that auditorium and the presentation was worse and I cursed the REal D process and not the theatre. THe first time I saw a movie in Dolby 3-D was even worse at the Ward Centre with a even darker picture.. When Consolidated's Kapolei 16 got Dolby 3-D and Regal's Pearl Highland 16 got Real D, I went to both of those theatres to see a movie in 3-D and the Kapolei's Dolby was much better than the Ward and the Pearl Highland was excellent. The Dole now has two additional houses with Real D and they too are excellent. I recently went to the Dole to see a movie in 3-D and the picture was playing in their original Real D auditorium and like the first movie I saw in that theatre, the picture was awfully dark. This time I got up and decided to speak with the manager and complain. When I was walking in the lobby on the way to the manager's office, I had noticed TANGLED in Real D was just starting in another auditorium so I walked into that auditorium and watched it and enjoyed both the movie and 3-D. I left the Dole very satisfied that afternoon but determined never to see another 3-D in their original Real D house which is still bad. It is very interesting that they never made an effort to make the necessary correction with that auditorium's Real D system.

-Claude

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-29-2011 04:17 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
.and now to Trans3:Moon in "Platinum Version 3D" (file was enhanced to play brighter to where the fL was raised to 6.0 fL off the screen)

Saw both versions. Have to admit, the Platinum Version was a tad brighter than the standard 3D...but, it's a choice still to go 2D or 3D.

-Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: