Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Transformers: Dark of the Moon to open in 3D & IMAX at 9PM June 28th

Author Topic: Transformers: Dark of the Moon to open in 3D & IMAX at 9PM June 28th
John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2011 01:49 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just received word that Paramount is allowing theatres to open Transformers: Dark of the Moon at 9PM on Tuesday June 28th at 9PM, but this applies to IMAX and 3D screens only.

Houses running regular 2D prints will have to wait until midnight.

This should be interesting. Since the running time is currently listed at 2' 37"" it could create scheduling headaches for multiplexes and possible crowd control problems.

Good idea, or simply a means to push 3D in favor of 2D? What say you?

|  IP: Logged

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2011 02:30 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a running time of 2 hours 14 minutes.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2011 02:39 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom-

The time I gave came from our principal owner. He is stressing out, claiming that Paramount has increased the running time. For scheduling purposes, I'm sure we all hope that the time you have is the correct one!

Tom Wienholt
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2011 07:21 PM      Profile for Tom Wienholt   Email Tom Wienholt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed. Wouldn't make much sense otherwise.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2011 07:28 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Final run time is indeed 157 Minutes. They have done this with all of there big movies over the past couple years. Allow early run times. Its going to make a ton of money, run it at 12:15 if you have to. This is one of the sure hits of the year.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2011 07:46 PM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you start the show at 9:00PM, realistically speaking you are going to have to wait until at least 12:15AM, depending on how many trailers and snipes you are going to run, and, you need time to clear out the theatre and get it clean, then allow time for seating.

This is going to be a bitch for people on the floor, as crowds will build well before midnight. Better figure out where you are going to put all those people waiting for the miudnight shows. Glad I'm going to be up in the booth for this dance.

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-19-2011 05:42 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean people are going to want to see this in 3D....and have to wear 3D glasses for 157 minutes? I thought 3D was dying a quick death this summer and people were tired of it.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2011 12:22 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is great. I get to run it at 9pm vs midnight and some decent sleep. Do not need both shows.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-20-2011 06:42 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's what I would do. Run the 9pm shows in let's say, auditoriums #1, #2, (or how ever many...).

Then run the midnights in auditoriums #3, #4, (or however many). Let the midnight patrons into their auditoriums by 11:30pm for seating.

When the 9pm shows get out at about 11:40-11:45, since you let the midnights in to their auditoriums already, there shouldn't be that much of a crowd control issue.

Then also schedule 12:15am or 12:30am shows in the 9pm auditoriums #1 and #2 for "midnight overflow shows..."

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: