Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » High Priced Concert Crashed, Regal Tries To Pawn Off Low Priced Regular Movie Passes (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: High Priced Concert Crashed, Regal Tries To Pawn Off Low Priced Regular Movie Passes
Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2011 03:31 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The woman in the article below went to Regal to see the NY Philharmonic performance of the musical Comany. Apparently the server crashed and they could not restart from the point of the crash. The theatre's response was to offer re-admit tickets that are only good for much lower price regular movie screenings. If the story is true, it is an epic fail on Regal's part that would make me never set foot in a Regal Cinema again.

The Consumerist

quote: The Consumerist

I am writing in regard to my experience at the screening of Stephen Sondheim's Company at Regal [redacted] on June 16, 2011. I spent a total of $38.50 on tickets alone for my party of two to attend the screening - nearly double the cost of seeing a regular film at your theater. With such an exorbitant price, I expect to, at the very least, be able to see the entire feature; this did not happen.

During the song "Ladies Who Lunch" (which is one of the highlights of the show), the sound repeatedly cut out, the image on the screen pixilated and skipped, and then the entire film outright stopped and we were left to stare at a Windows XP screen. We sat there for approximately ten minutes hoping that the problem would be fixed before a manager finally decided to come in. He explained that they were picking up satellite from Colorado and that if everyone sat back down, they were going to try to get us the rest of the film. We sat there for another ten minutes.

The fix involved watching the same "signal lost/did not record" sequence happen again, Windows rebooting, and then they fast forwarded through Patti LuPone's "Ladies Who Lunch" instead of letting us see and hear the entire song. They played Neil Patrick Harris' "Being Alive," though the volume was not fully restored, and then the screen cut to black, then another Windows screen. No manager came back. No end of the film, no birthday party scene, no curtain call - nothing. No one even came to turn on the lights; a customer trying to leave actually fell on the stairs in the dark.

An employee who did not appear to be a manger was giving customers "readmission passes" at customer service, declining to process any ticket refunds. This would have been acceptable if these passes did not state across the top that they were not valid for special events (or RPX, IMAX, or 3-D features - which cost less than this screening). This means that I would not have even been able to use that "readmission pass" to see the same show at the June 19th screening and would have to spend another $38.50 if I wanted to see the ending of Company.

I honestly feel that management should have been more communicative with the full theater about what was happening and that we should have either been given our money back or invited back to the second screening of Company (or another special event, such as a Met Encores event). If this goodwill gesture had been extended, I would have happily returned to the theater and even spent money on concessions during the return visit.

Instead, I see that nearly $40 spent at Regal Cinemas does not mean I'll even be able to see an entire film. I see that management doesn't really care and instead of inviting us to return for another special event, customers are just left to stumble and fall in a dark theater. I'm disappointed that I was not able to see the end of a spectacular production of Company and I'm even more disappointed that Regal was not willing to make things right by their customers.

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2011 07:38 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We ran this program Thursday night from a dvr and it ran without incident. NCM remote fed the program via a high def channel on Dish network. Regal must have set their system up differently.
Another Film-Techer encountered a similar problem on the same program, but I forget where that thread is...

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-17-2011 07:50 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even though passes may look cheap, but they're worth their weight in gold down the road since they're suppose to be good for any time of the performance day.

True though, those mgrs should have, at least, tried to match the amount purchased with the same or more passes to buffer out the disappointment. That way everyone is in a win-win thing, but unfortunately, this bad publicity is the results of not caring.

Old saying goes that if you please one person, that person will tell ten others, but if you displease that one person, that person will tell a hundred.

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 06-17-2011 08:29 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worth their weight in gold?

Well...maybe...considering they don't actually weigh that much.

Bottom line: they didn't earn the money. They should have offered a choice -- readmit or refund. Or both!

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2011 09:07 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like a show I would have cancelled rather than dick the audience around for ages. That way you can spend a couple of minutes explaining how severe the technical problem is and organise your staff to help you issue passes.

I'm not sure the passes these guys were issued are worth anything if it will not get them back in to something they want to watch. Usually the people who go to these music events will only come to the Cinema for a 'Kings Speech' type film and nothing else.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2011 09:33 PM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The screening I attended had problems which I reported on in the F-T Movie Review section. I have to applaud the Gateway Film Center for handling things well. They are an independent with ties to Ohio State University.

At the CONSUMERIST website, another commenter reported that at a Carmike theatre "they screened Act II first THEN went to screen Act I. By the time we realized what was happening, it was too late." I'm surprised the Sondheim freaks didn't rush out the to lobby screaming when the second act began playing first.

Just how are these things transmitted to the theatre? Do they come down early to be recorded at the theatre in some way for playback? What I saw looked like seeing a dvd with a bad section...the screen breaks up and then it jumps to the next chapter.

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2011 12:07 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
and this is why satellite feed events freak me out - if (and when) problems like this, occur. I'm really glad the Wednesday night AFI Silver screening went off without a hitch.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 06-18-2011 12:14 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
After looking at this more, these satellite feeds are from a third party which in turns REGAL, or any other theatre company in that matter, into a vendor - an auditorium rental type of situation.

Thus, whatever happens really isn't REGAL's fault since the provider of the program feed failed...and they should be paying back the refunds on the failed performance since doing the readmits wasn't for a fault of REGAL's.

..maybe this is why the staff and mgmt of this one location acted the way they did since they really didn't know what to do being that the problem wasn't on their side of the spectrum, but with the third party's.

..but, it's easy to point the finger on the venue since it was at their location...

True though: satellite feeds are tricky in themselves...

-Monte

Jonathan Goeldner
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2011 12:22 AM      Profile for Jonathan Goeldner   Email Jonathan Goeldner   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
did anyone else here actually see 'Company' cause my one complaint was that I thought the overall image seemed a bit dark - maybe it was the representative of how the show was actually filmed (low lights), but I was practically squinting, rubbing my eyes thinking I was going partially blind.

Jim Henk
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2011 02:41 AM      Profile for Jim Henk   Email Jim Henk   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
..maybe this is why the staff and mgmt of this one location acted the way they did since they really didn't know what to do being that the problem wasn't on their side of the spectrum, but with the third party's.
Nope. It's the one who took the customer's money is responsible to the customer. That's just common sense.

It's the one who "last had it".

Dustin Mitchell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2011 03:25 AM      Profile for Dustin Mitchell   Email Dustin Mitchell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Carmike program was played either via the Technicolor 'Friend' server or a DCP provided by the home office. We played the DCP (preferred format, tech server is to be backup only) and as far as I know had no problems.

Mark Lensenmayer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2011 07:22 AM      Profile for Mark Lensenmayer   Email Mark Lensenmayer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw COMPANY, and the image was bright. The show lighting was not dim at all.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2011 11:55 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've ran two performances of Company off the sat feed without a single hitch.

Now watch our show tomorrow go down. [Frown]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 06-18-2011 12:24 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The AFI/Silver's Company is off of BluRay. As for the light, it was probably a little dim, the lamp was changed on Thursday (the day after your screening). Unfortunately, you got to see it at its worst (last day of the lamp). Since SilverDocs (The AFI/Silver's annual Documentary festival) is next week, the video side of things are normally prepped just before that so they are at their brightest/sharpest...etc.

And Monte...as has been pointed out. It IS Regal's fault for the muffed show. The contract (ticket purchased) with the customer is between Regal and the Customer. If the show was not complete, nothing less than a full refund should have been acceptable. A readmit with restrictions and not sufficient to see an equivalent show is nothing short of theft (it would be like me stealing $10 from your wallet and then when caught, only having to give you $5 back). If Regal wants to pursue damages with the 3rd party, that is their business, not the customer's. If the 3rd Party can't supply reliable performances, Regal should not offer them.

Personally, my opinion is that this sort of performance should have been delivered on DCP, HDCAM, HDCAM-SR or D5 formats only. Those are "reliable" formats. Disc and Windows (anything) are not.

-Steve

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-18-2011 07:35 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte- It doesn't matter if they are the "third party" or not. They should of made the guest happy at all costs then when all was said and done. Sent a bill to who ever they were getting the feed from, or the server went down for the lost earnings/refunds the theatre had to do. In the end the customer doesn't care where the image is coming from, only who is giving it to them. The customer felt shafted by the Managment team and I side with them.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: