Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » America's Best Movie Theatres

Author Topic: America's Best Movie Theatres
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-10-2011 02:18 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Go At It:
http://flavorwire.com/185882/the-best-movie-theaters-in-america?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Day%205%20%28Friday%29&utm_campaign=All%20Cities%20Unified%20Mailer

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-10-2011 03:11 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey! The Radio City Music Hall didn't make the list! [Big Grin]

But seriously, those all look great. They could make a companion article, The Best Multiplexes in America. (The ones where the picture is bright and in focus.)

Bernie Anderson Jr
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2011 07:04 PM      Profile for Bernie Anderson Jr   Author's Homepage   Email Bernie Anderson Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem with the music hall is, its been over 30 years since it was a first run theatre. Most people I know NEVER even knew it was a movie theatre!

Paul Linfesty
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-10-2011 08:03 PM      Profile for Paul Linfesty   Email Paul Linfesty   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HOwever, it's been even longer that the Paramount in Oakland has been a regular first-run movie theatre, and it made the list.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-11-2011 05:17 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
^^^ And I'd hope that the white thing in the middle of the stage pic isn't the actual screen they use for movies there. Otherwise, I'd say that the place demonstrably sucks (as a movie theater).

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-11-2011 11:24 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is what I hate about internet writers. A personal bias between the writer and their friends (the only criteria appears to be "these are theatres myself or my buddies have been to"), poorly written and horribly researched with zero fact checking.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 06-11-2011 01:38 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Page 6.

You may go ahead and shower me with praises. [Big Grin]

quote:
You wouldn’t expect to find a world-class movie house in Traverse City, but Michigan native Michael Moore and a thriving local arts community brought the long-dormant State, originally built in 1918, back to life — first as the venue for the Traverse City Film Festival, then as a year-round art house operated by that group. Their schedule mixes art-house fare with special film events and 25-cent matinees of family and classic movies. Plus, the State offers an incentive for summer movie-going — if the temperature hits 100, admission is free. (Big, big thanks to our friend Lauren Epstein for the 411 on the Castro and the State.)
Fact checking here is a bit fuzzy as well. The first theatre that opened on this property was The Lyric in 1916, which burned down completely and was replaced with the new Lyric in the late 1920s. Another fire in 1948 destroyed most of that building. The State was built in 1949, using what was left of the 20s Lyric. About 80% of the current building is the 1949 construction, with the notable exception of the basement, stage, and flyloft which were leftover from the Lyric. The building was extensively renovated in 2007 and fire suppression was added [Wink] .

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 06-11-2011 02:45 PM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Though not on the list, the Loews Jersey, Jersey City and the Byrd, Richmond both get a mention in the comments. The Lafayette, Suffern NY is missing from both list and comments though.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-16-2011 05:39 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
whatever that white square is at the front of the paramount, it isn't the screen, which is appropriately sized for the proscenium, although that might still seem small given the colossal interior. it's not really that great a place to see a movie, the acoustics being way too loud, but just as a space it's breathtaking. there are theaters out there smaller than the lavatories at the paramount.

so what's up with the 600' screen at the 21st st warren? that's pretty, um, impressive.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2011 01:04 AM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that's supposed to be the square footage of the screen.

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2011 02:57 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in that case, not so impressive for imax.

also, i meant to say "live", not "loud" in previous post.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-17-2011 10:37 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's also the person who wrote the article doesn't know how to multiply. 100ft wide times 60ft wide is 6,000 square feet, not 600 feet.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: