Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Alamo Theater's No Texting Policy Has a Fan (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Alamo Theater's No Texting Policy Has a Fan
Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 06-06-2011 04:57 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://consumerist.com/2011/06/alamo-drafthouse-this-caller-is-incredibly-unhappy-with-movie-theaters-no-texting-policy.html
quote:

angry voicemail hall of fame
This Caller Is Incredibly Unhappy With Movie Theater's No-Texting Policy
By Chris Morran on June 6, 2011 4:15 PM 0 views

There are few things more annoying than someone so selfish she thinks it's perfectly okay to text in the middle of a dark movie theater. On the flipside, there are few things more amusing than when said texter gets kicked out of the theater and later calls back to leave a lengthy, profanity-laced rant on the theater's voicemail.

Luckily for everyone, the folks at Austin's Alamo Drafthouse not only have a "text and we'll kick you out" policy, they also have no qualms about putting the aforementioned voicemail on YouTube.

While it's funnier when you can hear the actual call, the Drafthouse folks have subtitled — very accurately — the entire call so you can just read along if you don't want your boss to hear.

|  IP: Logged

Jonathan Froes
Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2011 05:14 PM      Profile for Jonathan Froes   Email Jonathan Froes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now that's how you do it. Damm multiplex people!

Mike Rivest
Expert Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2011 06:39 PM      Profile for Mike Rivest   Email Mike Rivest   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another article:
http://www.firstshowing.net/2011/alamo-drafthouses-no-texting-psa-made-from-an-actual-voicemail/

This is the greatest policy trailer I ever seen, maybe Cineplex and Guzzo should run it.

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1L3eeC2lJZs&feature=player_embedded

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 06-06-2011 06:55 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Now that's how you do it. Damm multiplex people!
Granted, I've only been to one, but I think all the other Alamo Drafthouse theaters are multiplexes as well...

Jonathan Froes
Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2011 07:29 PM      Profile for Jonathan Froes   Email Jonathan Froes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess what i meant to say was your "reglar" multiplex goer.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-06-2011 11:33 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'v watched this 8 times already. I love it when a business is willing to satnd up to say, No your wrong to a customer. (one that actually IS wrong of course).

Id love to see the reaction on this girls face if she saw this... lol [beer]

Julie Fundenberger
Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2011 02:07 PM      Profile for Julie Fundenberger     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw/listened to this online yesterday and wish that my theater could run it before all the R rated movies. It's genius.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-07-2011 04:00 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a short article about this issue in the Globe and Mail.

The posted comments after the story are the best part.

quote:
Woman who texted in theatre gets the door, and her own PSA
Zosia Bielski
Globe and Mail Blog
Posted on Tuesday, June 7, 2011 9:27AM EDT

131 comments

She came. She texted. She got the boot.

A Texas theatre incurred a woman's wrath after staff kicked her out for texting during a movie.

The woman responded with a rambling, expletive-laden voicemail message about being "ripped off" and having her rights curtailed in this, "the Magnited States of America."

She also admitted to being a prolific theatre texter, claiming she's texted in all of Austin's cinemas without a lick of trouble: "I'd rather go to a regular theatre where people are actually polite," she says.

Now, the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema is using the rant as a new "Don't Talk or Text" PSA that will air before all of the theatre's R-rated films. (Listen to the uncensored or censored version.)

The Alamo, an alternative theatre that also hosts the rancorous Air Sex Championships, also bans talking during movies.

"When we adopted our strict no talking policy back in 1997 we knew we were going to alienate some of our patrons. That was the plan," founder and CEO Tim League wrote on the company website.

He also claims that the texting woman was given two warnings before she was turfed out, while the woman feigned ignorance of the cinema's rule.

"Ma'am, you may be free to text in all the other theaters in the Magnited States of America, but here at our 'little crappy ass theater,' you are not," Mr. League concluded.

Is texting at the movies worthy of the boot? What are your top pet peeves at the cinema? The talker? The snorer? The popcorn bag ruffler?

William T. Parr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2011 04:10 PM      Profile for William T. Parr   Email William T. Parr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is too funny. Note to self centered BITCH. I hate it when you fuckers that go into a dark theater while a movie is in progress yaking on your cell phones or texting to people or playing games on them. That bright light is distracting and annoying. SO GET OVER IT. You deservered to get booted. It is a matter of Courtesy and Common Sense you dumbass ditz.

Pravin Ratnam
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-07-2011 06:33 PM      Profile for Pravin Ratnam   Email Pravin Ratnam   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BEST AD OF THE YEAR

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-07-2011 06:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible that "society" will eventually take care of this problem? That texting in a movie will eventually come to be a social taboo, the way smoking is now? I hope so.

Around here it's less of a problem, because the kidz know that Mike's eagle eye is watching! [Smile] When I do catch somebody, I almost feel bad because they've gone to SUCH trouble to conceal their texting activity. It's sad that people are so addicted. (I also wonder if the addiction will ever be seen for what it is?)

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-07-2011 07:14 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two signs that say "turn off your cell phone" beside the entrance to my auditorium. Plus I immediately stomp anyone who has their cellphone out when the show is on; as soon as I see that light I'm walking down the aisle. And the kids have all learned that so I really encounter little problem with this issue.

A few months ago I did have one girl who I told once to turn her phone off, and when I saw it again I told her to come out to the lobby with me. I then made her read my sign out loud and asked her if she understood what it means. And that was all that it took to sort that situation.

Since I got my digital cinema I've started putting one of the Cinetize cell phone announcements at the start of all of my movies. That does a world of good -- I see all kinds of cell phones getting dragged out of pockets and turned off when that announcement plays.

Mostly, I have the folks around here pretty well trained. They know that if they're doing loud talking or on their cell phone they'll be getting a seat-side visit from me and that's all it takes. I've even heard some kids telling each other to turn their phone off before the "movie man" gets them.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-08-2011 01:16 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The funniest thing I ever heard was, I was approaching some kid who was misbehaving and I heard his little buddy say "Shut up, the big guy is coming!" I about died laughing on that one....since I am a lot of things, but a "big guy" is definitely NOT one of them!

quote: Frank Cox
Since I got my digital cinema I've started putting one of the Cinetize cell phone announcements at the start of all of my movies. That does a world of good
Same here, and it has helped a lot. The only thing I wish was different is, all those Cinetize tags say "Silence" your phone. I wish they said "Turn OFF your phone." But they still help.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 06-08-2011 03:02 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I too wish that they all said "turn off" instead of silence, but I'll take what I can get.

There are two of them (grid and pop bulbs, I think) that say "turn off".

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-08-2011 12:17 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Is it possible that "society" will eventually take care of this problem? That texting in a movie will eventually come to be a social taboo, the way smoking is now? I hope so.
I don't know Mike, people use their cells EVERYWHERE nowadays -- seems like a universal thing. I mean, crossing streets in NYC and not paying any attention to anything else around them and at any time of the day or night -- 3am and they are babbling on their cells -- it amazes me.

What I hope is that the damn FCC finally gets with it like is allowed in Europe, and OKs cell phone signal blocking in theatres and restaurants. That would be a lot faster than having to wait for evolution to create mutations that will fix the stupidity and impolite genes -- you know, the ones that evidence now shows are becoming more dominant rather than recessive.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: