Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Cinema Source trying to charge fees for their internet

Author Topic: Cinema Source trying to charge fees for their internet
James Kulaprathazhe
Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2011 12:00 AM      Profile for James Kulaprathazhe   Email James Kulaprathazhe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is any one knows the email or fax#s of service agents or famous websites like MSN.com, Yahoo.com, Movietickets.com, moviefone.com, Holllywood .com that we can send our show times directly to them. Now Cinema source is picking theaters randomly and forcing to charge a service fee & with a contract. If theater owner didn't sign the agreement they pull out the show times from many websites. It was free of service. They make money when they sell the adds. Why they are charging theaters?

|  IP: Logged

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-22-2011 12:19 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something tells me it has to do with the ad revenue not being enough...

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-22-2011 03:34 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Business rule of thumb: NOTHING is free...just a matter of when, where and how it gets paid for.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2011 03:31 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been paying about $100 a month for the last year for CinemaSource.

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-22-2011 04:02 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
> We've been paying about $100 a month for the last year for CinemaSource.

And that is why they are charging, people are foolishly paying...

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-22-2011 08:52 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We don't pay anybody anything, and we don't upload our showtimes anywhere except to our own website and MailChimp, yet our accurate showtimes are available on the internet through many sites. I don't know how it works and I don't care! [Smile]

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 05-23-2011 03:30 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike, what's MailChimp?

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-23-2011 09:14 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin was the last to post
We've been paying about $100 a month for the last year for CinemaSource.
I found out this past December that Cinema Source has a service called csXpress that allows theatres to have direct complete control over their show/pricing information that is done via a secure login 24/7. The cost is $100/month. The information is then provided to all the major websites (2000+) such as Google, Moviefone, IMDB, MSN, etc...

Their free service is if the theatres fax/e-mail the show/pricing information to Cinema Source. The only drawback is as I'm sure many of us have found is that we are relying on another person to input the data and then the only way to verify the information is correct is to visit these multiple sites and often times if its incorrect you have to re-fax or call a rep(good luck on a weekend or holiday) to try and get the information corrected. But hey, I guess we can't complain too much since they are providing this service for free.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 05-23-2011 10:05 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only internet posting we do is to our own website, but I can't count the number of times people have come at the wrong time or seeking the wrong movie and said "I saw it on the internet."

Information wants to be free, but it doesn't appear to want to be accurate.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-23-2011 11:59 AM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Angel
what's MailChimp?
It's an email marketing website. You can send email through it to a list of contacts.

I set up an email mailing list that my customers can sign up with through a form on my website to receive updated movie listings and showtimes for my theatre but I don't go through any third-party services to handle it; I just wrote my own little program to handle the mailing list. The advantage of that is that it does exactly what I want it to do, as it's purpose-built and the whole thing lives on my computer and sends email out through my mailserver.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 05-23-2011 03:14 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like MailChimp because it's easy, it's free, it has a lot of built-in templates and other doo-dads, and it gives me all the stats I need. You can make your emails as plain or fancy as you want. I put a sign-up link on our home page and I also put on on each "movie information" page. Our mailing list has doubled since I started using it in Feb. 2010.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: