Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Automaticket Manual (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Automaticket Manual
Justin West
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2011 03:25 PM      Profile for Justin West   Email Justin West   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gang: I am attempting to move into the later 20th century this season at the drive-in. I am replacing a Lumex with a Super Lumex in one booth (1970s/1980s here I come!). I am also adding an Automaticket 5-bay machine to the box office. I wondered, while it doesn't look complicated, does anybody have a manual or schematic for this ticket dispenser? I got the Super Lumex manual off of the F-T library (thanks, Brad) but alas, there is nothing for the Automaticket there. Thank you.

|  IP: Logged

Richard C. Wolfe
Master Film Handler

- posted 05-06-2011 07:55 PM      Profile for Richard C. Wolfe   Author's Homepage   Email Richard C. Wolfe   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I probably have a manual for automaticket machines, but finding it could take a while.

About 10 years ago the chief equipment maintainence supervisor of one of the nations largest chains, upon his retirement, gave me all his manuals. Also the wife of the person in charge of installation and maintainence of all equipment for the former Walter Reade Theatres sold me all of her late husbands manuals. I have at least 500 to 600 various manuals stored in dozens of boxes up on a scene dock back stage.

If you can be patient I'll try and get my maintainence man and myself to go through them and see if we can find one. We seem to have everything prior to about 1995, including VitaPhone manuals and many early silent projectors, as well as Brenograph machines.

I'll see what I can do.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-06-2011 09:29 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
our Automaticket machines are 60+ years old and in the 25 years I've been here the only thing I've had to do to them is to spray them thoroughly with WD40 and rock the mainshaft back and forth gently to clear a jam. The ticket cutters can be sharpened by
any industrial knife sharpening shop, they snap in and out and you should be able to figure out how with a little study. Be certain to unplug the machine when working around the cutters, they will cut a pencil in two without a pause.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-06-2011 10:46 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just looked up what an automaticket machine is.

What does it give you that a simple roll of Admit One tickets on a spool doesn't?

Adam Martin
I'm not even gonna point out the irony.

- posted 05-07-2011 09:58 AM      Profile for Adam Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Martin       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Cox
What does it give you that a simple roll of Admit One tickets on a spool doesn't?
Whirrrrr Ka-chunk! [Big Grin]

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-07-2011 01:37 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ticket count, dispenses multiple tickets at the push of a button, opportunity for the rare but occasional ticket jam, looks good in the box office counter, state of the art ticket dispensing as recently as 30 years ago, NO electronics so it's not affected by power variations etc., tickets available in almost any color.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 05-07-2011 02:30 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very old school and authentic. Louis

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 05-07-2011 02:49 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If your hard drive crashes you don't lose your ticket counts.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 05-07-2011 03:37 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The hard drive consists of a motor and steel gears turning a mechanical counter.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-07-2011 03:53 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I still don't see the point.

I use rolls of Admit One tickets that I buy at dollar stores, and a notepad where I write the starting numbers for every night.

Which seems even more bulletproof because there's nothing mechanical (or electronic) involved.

I've considered writing a ticketing program for my own use but have yet come up with a good reason to do so. I did make a simple Openoffice spreadsheet to calculate the gross take and taxes and whatnot at the end of the night and create weekly box office reports for the film companies, but that's as automated as I get.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-07-2011 06:03 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Frank Cox
I still don't see the point.

I use rolls of Admit One tickets that I buy at dollar stores, and a notepad where I write the starting numbers for every night.

Just because you do things one way doesn't mean that there's no point in doing it any other way.

Also, I believe the theater in question, while being a drive-in, has multiple screens. That could be a reason why you'd want multiple bays like this machine instead of having your box office person writing on the thing which room they're going to every time they sell.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-07-2011 06:20 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't said that there's no point. I'm trying to figure out what the point is, and I still don't see it. But I don't imagine that folks would have been spending presumably significant money to buy these things without a good reason for it.

If you're using roll tickets with multiple screens (or have different shows on a single screen) you just issue different colours for each screen. "Green and red are for Screen One. Blue and orange are for Screen Two." You still don't need a machine to issue them.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 05-07-2011 06:41 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The machine is likely faster than you are at dispensing the tickets and while you're counting back change and such, the machine can be churning out the tickets, which you would otherwise have to do separately.

Frank Cox
Film God

- posted 05-07-2011 06:50 PM      Profile for Frank Cox   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Cox   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is that, I suppose.

I just had a bit of a revelation: Perhaps the point is to keep a grand total of tickets issued over different categories for each show. When I think the place is getting close to filled up I have to do a bit of math to determine how many tickets of each category I've sold, then add the totals to determine how many seats I have left.

It doesn't solve the problem of "There are 30 seats left but no two together", though. [Big Grin]

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 05-07-2011 06:59 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first theatre I ever worked in as a concessionist/usher had a 3 bay "Automaticket" it was a 3 screen dollar theatre. I have very fond memories of these machines!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: