Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » The presentations in Walt Disney World - slipping a bit? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: The presentations in Walt Disney World - slipping a bit?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-10-2011 01:56 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had the opportunity to hit some attractions at WDW this past week, and I have to say that I was disappointed in some of the "film" presentations there - for the very first time. "Film" is in quotes because I imagine these are probably all digital.

Muppet Vision was my first disappointment. The bass seemed to be really cranked DOWN in this attraction for some reason. I remember there being a few instances of some real booms in that show like when Beaker was trying to start the machine or when the place explodes at the end. Those booms weren't there. Also it sounded like the left channel was a bit off in the EQ dept. Statler & Waldorf's voices were not as loud as they should have been either, which took away from some of their jokes. Also some of the panels on the walls which normally show as being destroyed at the end were not doing so. Some were, but not all of them.

Very strange. I don't remember there ever being ANY presentation problems with that show, and this one had a ton.

At Mickey's Philharmagic, the center projectors were WAY out of focus. Undeniably out of focus. So out of focus that you couldn't see the facial expressions on the characters. What the hell is up with that? Does no one watch these movies when they run? I was there at about 10 PM. I mean - it ran like that all day, and no one noticed? What the hell? Otherwise that show was amazing. I have never seen it before, but other than being blurry as hell, it was really impressive.

The movie at the end of The Great Movie Ride - How can that be film? With so many new movies in it, I thought for sure it would have been digital. But I could have swore I saw some shutter ghosting on the copyright tag at the end of the clips. Maybe I was seeing things there. I don't know.

Soarin! Holy crap that was GREAT! Is that true 15/70 on a dome? I could see the moving glass in front of the projector that is typical of IMAX projectors. That's another great ride!

|  IP: Logged

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-10-2011 02:57 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorin is possibly my favorite ride there, simply amazing!!

Also, the universe of energy does have film based projection or it did when I was there last time about 2 years ago. Its pretty cool since its running across multiple screens, like Cinerama but with a scope picture on 3 screens

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 04-10-2011 03:08 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did you perhaps mention any of this to park officials (rangers)? Where would you even complain about the likes of this?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 04-10-2011 10:45 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of the attractions you listed are FILM attractions. The end montage of the so-so Movie Ride, I believe, is video.

Sorin is not only 15/70 IMAX but it is 48fps too (IMAX HD).

-Steve

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-10-2011 11:13 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, yes I did mention it to some cast members on my way out of Mickey's Philharmagic. They thanked me and said they would take care of it. I still find it strange that no one was in the theater to watch the presentation all day. I didn't say anything at Muppet Vision but I probably should have. I wasn't sure if Muppet Vision had been converted to digital. The presentation of the picture seemed fine, it was mostly sound and other interactive stuff in the theater that suffered.

Steve, I looked up some tech specs on Soarin' last night after I posted and saw that it is indeed not only 15/70, and shot with the OMNIMAX lens (so the perspectives all look right on the dome) but also 48 fps. Wow! Very impressive show!

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-10-2011 04:04 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Muppetvision is dual 70mm 5-perf and I believe at 30fps.

Note, all of the Disney sound is interlocked digital...not composite on the print. Exceptions are going to be things like pre-shows in the So-So Movie Ride.

-Steve

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-10-2011 04:40 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cool. I knew that was what it was, but thought I heard about plans to change it to digital a few years ago.

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-10-2011 05:58 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is less of a digital conversion that you would think...remember too Kodak is a major sponsor of the film based attractions.

New attractions are going to be digital and even I can make a good argument for using digital in theme park attractions where the same images are going to be shown over and over. However, 70mm does set the bar VERY high and they don't suffer the horrible printing processes that release prints have to go through. However, film's forte is not blemish free for 1000s of runs (not that it can't be done...just that digital can do it much easier).

-Steve

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2011 12:25 AM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how hard it would be to get a tour of their projection rooms...

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 04-11-2011 10:42 AM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny you should say that...!

I have returned to WDW last month after 20 years, and I agree that some presentations were dissapointing. In particular, Universe of Energy had some very bad bulb flicker on one of the three screens.

[thumbsdown]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-11-2011 11:00 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, did you see The Hall of Presidents? That one is vastly improved. (The biggest problem there is all the morons taking flash pictures from 75 feet away. As usual, people ruin shows.)

P.S. Shouldn't this thread be in Film Yak?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 04-11-2011 11:44 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did not do the hall of presidents this time. I haven't been to WDW in 10 years so if it has been upgraded since then, I missed it this time. I'm heading back in September though, and that is my wife's favorite attraction so I'm sure we'll do it then.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-11-2011 12:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's actually been changed twice in the past 10 years -- first to add George W Bush, and most recently to add Obama. But the most recent upgrade they changed from film to digital and dramatically improved the sound, too, but they kept the style of the attraction (i.e. the presentation is still done with paintings, not movies).

I remember the old presentation was always sorta dim and blurry, the images on the adjacent screens didn't always line up properly, there would be film damage etc. Not surprising since it runs about 30 times a day by remote control.

Steve Guttag

- posted 04-11-2011 02:16 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Hall of Presidents never made sense to me as a movie attraction...it is a big slide show, with narration. As Mike said, it is now digital now...they also no longer open up to the full 5-panels of the previous show...which was only done for the Civil War sequences.

-Steve

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-11-2011 05:36 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve....I was wondering if I had gone crazy. I thought sure they'd used 5 panels before but they are only using the 3 now.

Agreed that it's a slideshow, but the images are zoomed and panned and such, so it makes sense not to have it just be slides.

I also agree with posters above that Soarin' is amazing. It's my favorite attraction in Epcot.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: