Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What makes a Successful Single Screen Theatre (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What makes a Successful Single Screen Theatre
Jonathan Peirce
Film Handler

- posted 03-26-2011 08:06 PM      Profile for Jonathan Peirce   Author's Homepage   Email Jonathan Peirce   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just found this article:
http://www.lhat.org/Libraries/inLEAGUE/The_Whole_Story.sflb.ashx

Interesting, but I am looking for other thoughts from those working in Single Screen theatres...

Thanks
JP

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-26-2011 08:47 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I would say the main thing is serving your audience. Programming what they want to see is key.

Beyond that, it's the same as any other cinema -- keep it clean, make it as nice as possible, have the picture bright and in focus, have great popcorn and great customer service, and have the best sound you possibly can.

And, don't expect to sit home and let the money roll in. If you have a single screener, especially in a small town, you'll probably need to be working in it most nights.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-27-2011 02:11 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Note: That article was written by Film-Techer, Richard Wolfe. I agree with virtually everything in it.

One thing we don't have, that I really want to get, is stage curtains. It would be a challenge though, because our screen is wall-to-wall so there really isn't enough room (I don't think) on the sides for the curtain to collect during shows. We have a/c vents just above the screen, so putting a waterfall curtain on the front of the proscenium might not work either without some major modifications.

But...it remains on my wish list! [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 03-27-2011 02:42 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you curve the track so the curtains end up on the side walls next to the screen wall during the movie?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 03-27-2011 07:30 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Install a water curtain (think Disney's Fantasmic)...make sure you have a good drainage and recovery system in place...of course, your screen might get a little wet...if so...just show the movie on the water curtain. [Wink]

Bajsic Bojan
Expert Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2011 03:10 PM      Profile for Bajsic Bojan   Email Bajsic Bojan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
most of the things are already mentioned, i'd still put most focus on getting these things right:
PROGRAMME :
-build your audience
-when your audience base is built, programme appropriately
-do experiment in programming, but not too much
TECH:
-be uptodate with current technology, strive for improvement
-know your technology inside-out, be more knowledgeable than the multiplex ppl
-be flexible with distributors/partners
VENUE:
-be unique (layout, style,..)
-make people welcome and have something to do before/after at your place
OTHER:
-have additional film/movie based activities, events, seminars
-be active in promotion of theater and events

-love your theater, love everyone working there and expect everyone to do as you do

just based of eight years of working at a successful single screen that had its up and down moments, so still learning and willing as always to improve. hope to get some good responses and feedback in this thread.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-27-2011 07:31 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The following characteristics help greatly but are no guarantee:

a) a market with no competition, min. 30 miles
b) some coolness factor-Roxy's theater is majorly cool
c) the ability to offer a good value-either ticket pricing and/or concession pricing
d) if you buy the building, does it have other uses-retail space, living spaces
e) reasonable cost to buy/operate (This is where IMO, you lose big time on your opportunity due to the extremely high asking price)
f) extremely hard work by you with little expectation of gratitude

I believe "a" is a must.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-30-2011 02:15 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True though: the Roxy in Forsyth, Mont. is an excellent example of a single screen making it, and I give Mike full applause on what he has done to that location and what he has done and given to the community.

Yet, it's never had any close competition, thus it's really not fair to compare that location to single locations where competition is more close by.

Market area isn't that all important, but even a single screen surrounded by competition can make it with one main factor that CAN drive the nail home, and that one word is: ATMOSPHERE!

How are you presenting your location and how are you treating your "guests" (not customers - remember: they should be like inviting them to your own home...not treat them like cattle to the slaughterhouse) - are you just there to put a movie on the screen-no matter what condition your layout looks like, or are you there inviting them to your safety and concern to where they will "remember" that night at your venue?

Are your making sure that your "guests" are continally "satisfied" with their visit to your venue? (I say "satisfaction" as the main word here instead of "service" - for a vending machine can service a patron, but can that vending machine give customer satisfaction?) You want to give satisfaction for that is what the patron WILL ALWAYS remember - you went the second mile to make them satisfied.

(On a side note to verify my comment above: I know of a 3 buck 3plex that is stealing the business from a 3 buck 6plex up the street with this one very word: "SATISFACTION"-which has created an excellent atmosphere where their guests just love going there...and the owners of this 6plex can't figure this out yet..)

Is your place clean and in an orderly appearance-both outside and inside?

Is your bathrooms clean and properly stocked?

Is the concession stand clean at all times - clean counters and glass, poppers looking clean, candy displays looking very attractive, et.al?

Is your lobby clean at all times-no trash, or items that doesn't belong in the lobby causing distracting the clean appearance?

Is your staff in a very positive attitude where they want to help the guest have an enjoyable evening, or are they just there to shovel popcorn, fill drink cups and take the money?

Is your staff dressed in an attire that they themselves looks in a clean and positive way, or do they look like they came out of a tatoo parlor loaded with piercings and tatoos that can turn a stomach to the patrons that walk in the lobby and wonder if they're going to feel safe and secure in this venue?

Is the auditorias clean - no torn seats, clean floors, seats comfortable to sit in and not worry of springs coming up through the covers?

PRESENTATIONS: In focus, frame, sound excellent and a bright picture? If you got a scratching problem, get on that issue promptly, for that will drive the guest away more than anything.

IN A NUTSHELL: Make your guests feel like a winner at all times .. for that is what they want anyway!

Others will chime in and add on to this topic...

thx-Monte

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 03-31-2011 06:57 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Yet, it's never had any close competition,
Thanks, Monte. While its true there are no other theatres in our area due to the small population, we still compete with the Carmikes in Billings (90 minutes away) because people here tend to drive over there at the drop of a hat to shop and have other big-city fun. So we constantly hear "Is that movie coming here? We saw it in Billings, it's great," GRRRR.

Mike Frese
Master Film Handler

- posted 03-31-2011 08:13 PM      Profile for Mike Frese   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Frese   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will take 90 mins over 9 mins any day of the week!

You do have a nice theater and seem to take care of it. I also respect you for going digital early when you really did not have too as you can share with the rest of us your experiences.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 03-31-2011 10:02 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
We saw it in Billings, it's great," GRRRR.

..and with this, do these people come to your venue to see that movie again?

..that's when you nail them double...to pay you back what they spent in Billings....rofl.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-05-2011 03:26 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Monte L Fullmer
do these people come to your venue to see that movie again?
They always say they're going to, but they hardly ever do. Can't blame them...there are hardly any movies I'd want to see twice these days.

Michael Barry
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 04-20-2011 04:28 AM      Profile for Michael Barry   Email Michael Barry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish folks wouldn't do that: try to influence your business decisions (asking you to play a certain movie) then not rewarding you for doing so (not turning up for said movie).

Not really fair play, is it?

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 04-20-2011 06:46 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to get that a bit at Hornsby for our late shows. They'd say: "Can you get (such and such a title)??? I'd get all my friends to come along to that one if you did".

So we did. You know the rest of the story.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 04-20-2011 09:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. There have been a few movies over the years we brought in because our concession crew said "EVERYBODY wants to see it!" It's surprising how few people constitutes "everybody" to a teenager.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: