Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Marketing via text message (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Marketing via text message
Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-01-2011 12:07 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody doing any marketing work via mass texting? What services do you use?

I've been using Mailchimp.com for free email marketing; it works great, but of course email doesn't always reach the young crowd.

Ideas or suggestions anyone? Since services like Mailchimp are available for free, I would think there's a similar service for texting.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 02-01-2011 01:19 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you looking for people to come find you and murder you in your sleep?

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 02-01-2011 02:11 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Ideas or suggestions anyone?
Yeah. Don't do it. [puke]

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 02-01-2011 08:34 AM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You text me on the blind and I'll "come find you and murder you in your sleep."

Hillary Charles
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2011 09:31 AM      Profile for Hillary Charles   Email Hillary Charles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, we are charged for every text, and don't take kindly to that kind of spam.

However, it is entirely possible you could be performing a public service:

Suicide bomber blown up prematurely by spam text

quote:
A "BLACK Widow" suicide bomber who planned to detonate explosives in central Moscow was killed when a spam text message from her mobile-phone company set off the device early.

News of the botched New Year's Eve operation emerged yesterday as Russian security sources said they had identified the suicide bomber who killed 35 people at a Moscow airport last week.

He was a 20-year-old man from the North Caucasus, a spokesman for the national investigative committee said.

It was also revealed that the explosive belt the man was wearing had been remotely activated. Terror attacks in Russia have ramped up during recent years, with suicide bombings becoming more common.

The "Black Widow" bomber, who has not been named, had intended to detonate the explosives in a busy square on January 31.

But a spam message wishing her a happy new year caused it to go off earlier than planned, instantly killing her but not harming others, security sources said.

The woman had been at a safe house in Moscow with two other bombers when the device exploded.

Mobile phones are often used as detonators by Islamist terrorist groups in Russia.

A "handler" who watches the bomber as they move into the target area sends them a text message to detonate the explosives.

The phones, which have not been previously used, are usually kept turned off until the last minute.

The woman's handler has been named as Zeinat Suyunova, 24, whose husband is in prison for being a member of a radical Islamist terror group.

Security services believe the failed bomber may have been part of the group that targeted Moscow's Domodedovo airport last Monday.

Thirty-five people were killed and hundreds injured when explosives were detonated in the baggage hall.

Both groups of bombers may have been part of a squad that was trained at al-Qaeda camps in Pakistan.

Immediately after the airport attack, investigators blamed militant Islamist groups from the North Caucasus, which includes the republics of Chechnya and Dagestan.

For more than a decade, radical Islamic groups have been fighting for an independent "emirate" in the North Caucasus, a region that has long been plagued by poverty and high unemployment.

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev has ordered Premier Vladimir Putin to put forward proposals for improved security on public transport throughout Russia.

So, ya never know.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-01-2011 11:32 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You guys have the wrong idea. I'm talking about "opt-in" texts. I would never send unsolicited texts.

Bobby Henderson
"Ask me about Trajan."

- posted 02-01-2011 11:32 AM      Profile for Bobby Henderson   Email Bobby Henderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the percentage breakdown between mobile phone users who have unlimited text built into their service plans and those who don't. Suffice it to say not everyone has unlimited texting.

I think it would be better to use social networking to reach people on mobile phones. Those who opt into a Facebook or Twitter page can receive SMS text message updates under the right settings. I like to use Tweetdeck on my phone for monitoring Facebook and Twitter news feeds. It's different from straight text messaging, but works better in certain ways.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 02-01-2011 02:54 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike.... you could set up a secondary email list for text messaging, and just send the text from your computer. While I don't do it for my theatre, I do use it for my son's Cub Scout Pack and our church group.

Have your guests sign up for "text messaging" by providing their 10 digit phone number and the name of their cell carrier. Using a list like THIS you can send them texts (up to 180 characters) directly from your email client. I've used Microsoft Outlook for years to do this. I simply group the addresses together, compose a new message within the SUBJECT LINE of the email and hit send. It's free to send. If the recipient wants to opt out, they can reply back to you and you can remove them from your list.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-01-2011 08:39 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bobby - we already use Facebook. Our email service is supposed to automatically put up a "Tweet" but I never check Twitter (and haven't really ever found anyone here who uses it) so I don't worry about that as much.

Barry - I just tried that with my own phone and it works great. Thanks, I'll see how many numbers we can line up.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 02-01-2011 10:29 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've sat in on a couple of seminars on marketing using the social networking tools. My takeaway was unless you can hire an obsessive compulsive anal retentive to monitor all of the tweets and text and facebooking etc, it is a waste of time. Basically, if you are not constantly churning new material, you just get overlooked.

Maybe you'll get a little boost from texting to people who explicitly request it, but it sounds like you can't expand your audience without some labor intensive insanity.

I'd like to hear how it works for anyone doing it.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 02-02-2011 12:12 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin - we put up a Facebook post once or twice a week. That's enough for a single-screener. For a multi, it might be good to do one per day. If we were in that situation I would find my smartest concession person and put them in charge of it. They are texting non-stop anyway, so why not channel it? [Smile]

The idea is just to get people thinking about going to the movies.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2011 12:22 PM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I was also looking into this, but on a two-way basis. I wanted to be able to send SMS updates to opt-ins, and allow anyone to send a text message -- eg. "times" -- to us, that would auto-reply with our showtimes.

The SMS gateway wasn't much of a problem, price-wise, but getting a number for people to text to was outrageous.

I have seen people setup up a pseudo-SMS gateway, with a regular cell phone connected to a computer via USB. An app watches for incoming text messages on the phone, and sends out an appropriate reply. I'll probably go that route to see how it works.

The link that was posted by Barry is pretty helpful.

-David

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 02-02-2011 02:42 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike:
We do Facebook also. Not very active. Change it once a week when we have a new movie or when I have others booked (calendar house, so easy to promote future shows and times). Other than that, just answering questions. I'd go nuts having to constantly churn inane babble (which seems to be what FaceBook and Twitter are for). We of course have email blasts. We've been using Constant Contact for about a year. It helps if you know html/CSS so you don't have to stick with their pre-fab forms. IT has tracking abilities so you can be depressed about how few people open your email, even though they signed up for it. Likewise with FaceBook. You can have a couple of thousand "likes" but it doesn't mean they are coming to a show.

Robert D Hall
Film Handler

- posted 02-02-2011 04:25 PM      Profile for Robert D Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Robert D Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
David you can send a text with yahoo messenger. And the recipient gets a number to text back its not a phone number but you get any text that are sent to it on your messenger. And its all free to you.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 02-03-2011 09:55 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to do facebook but we would get so much negative stuff that is not grounded in reality that it would become detrimental. As part of a larger company it's also perhaps far too easy to start responding to something and then go in to confidential areas, usually I have to read everything before I post on here carefully just in case I'm too open about who my employer is and what is appropriate to reveal.

Mike the text messaging to subscribers sounds great for a place like yours. Do people have to pay to receive SMS messages in the USA?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: