Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Monthly Expense list

Author Topic: Monthly Expense list
Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-14-2011 10:13 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friend and I are in the process of opening up our own theater. Brad has give me some great advice about start up costs. We're currently revising our business plan with more detailed costs. Does anyone who runs an independent theater have a monthly expense list that they'd be willing to share so that we can see what we're up against?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-15-2011 09:33 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well I'm not at the theatre right now so I don't have the books in front of me but here's what I can list off the top of my head:

Payroll
Film rent
Concession supplies
Heat/electricity/gas/water
Freight charges for film (digital: figure about $40 per title, film: about $60 unless you live near the depot)
Other freight charges (concessions and other supplies)
Booking fees
Advertising
Website expense (site design/maintenance and hosting)
Maintenance (building and equipment)
Travel and entertainment
Taxes and license
Payroll taxes
Mortgage or rental costs
Insurance (Liability, business interruption, fire, unemployment, health if you offer it)
Set-aside for remodeling, updating, equipment replacement and such
Computer software and licensing
Non-concession supplies (janitorial stuff, ticket stock, etc.)
And the ever-popular "miscellaneous"

I'm sure there's a few things I'm not remembering but it's early in the morning! [Smile]

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2011 12:28 PM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the most important thing to look at is what your rent/mortage is going to be. That will be your highest fixed cost most likely.
You can do a lot of business and still not make good money if the rent/mortgage payment is too high.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-15-2011 02:25 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Travel and entertainment
Can you clarify this? It sounds like part of the budget is set aside to entertain yourself.

Adam Fraser
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2011 05:04 PM      Profile for Adam Fraser   Author's Homepage   Email Adam Fraser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Travel to trade shows or other official functions would be the largest travel expense.

Entertainment includes things like paying for a candy sales rep or service tech's lunch.

Both of those categories are under $1000 in our yearly books.

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2011 06:01 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do not forget bank account fees/credit card fees/check order fees etc. People sometimes forget about these fees because they are most often deducted directly from your account.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2011 07:46 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Adam Fraser
or service tech's lunch.
I always thought the service tech was supposed to take the owner out to lunch not the other way around! [Big Grin]

Mike Heenan
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2011 10:02 PM      Profile for Mike Heenan   Email Mike Heenan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the all the tips guys!

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-16-2011 11:33 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan M. Crist
Do not forget bank account fees/credit card fees/check order fees etc
Very true, good addition. Credit card fees especially, big expense.

quote:
I always thought the service tech was supposed to take the owner out to lunch not the other way around!
It doesn't matter who buys lunch...the owner pays for it one way or the other! [Big Grin]

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2011 11:38 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It doesn't matter who buys lunch...the owner pays for it one way or the other!

You got that right!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: