Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Out of control guest due to out of focus feature

Author Topic: Out of control guest due to out of focus feature
Cassandra Palko
Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2011 02:50 AM      Profile for Cassandra Palko   Author's Homepage   Email Cassandra Palko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man over reacts to "Sound of Music"

Guest Smashes Concession Stand

quote:
Cambridge —

A Cambridge man disappointed in a Brattle Theatre screening of "The Sound of Music" was arrested after allegedly smashing all the items in the lobby's concession stand, including a cash register.

On Jan. 5 at 7:41 p.m., police were called to the scene on the report of a fight at the Brattle Theatre in Harvard Square. Upon arrival it was learned that a man identified as Cambridge resident Michael Harrington, 56, had smashed all the items on the concession stand in the lobby, damaging a cash register valued at $1,000.

Harrington of 96 Henry St., Cambridge, was placed under arrest on Brattle Street and charged with malicious destruction of property over $250.

According to Andrea O'Meara, associate director of the Brattle, Harrington became irritated because the movie -- shown as part of the 75th anniversary of 20th Century Fox -- became blurry for about five minutes.

I hope that this wasn't anybody on this forum.

|  IP: Logged

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 01-09-2011 06:29 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That was my thought as I was reading this. . . or any of my other friends, either. Louis

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 01-09-2011 08:52 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah-HA! Seems like there are consequences to presentation done badly! Exhibitors best take note! [thumbsup]

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 01-09-2011 10:10 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pretty sure anyone on this forum would have gone to the projection booth first [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 01-09-2011 12:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't even begin to tell you how many times I've helped random theaters out.

A number of years ago I was at a Cinemark about to watch an advance screening. They tried to start the movie and it jammed in the gate before the first preview was over. A friend of mine from the studio (who was in the audience had invited me and knew I was there) came to me and asked if I could help. Apparently they were going to cancel the show because the kid upstairs couldn't untangle a brain wrap. By the time I got to the booth I had it on screen in 2-3 minutes. That silly "Usher-B" nor the manager up there with him had a clue. At least they didn't have to cancel the show though, which is what is important.

That's not the only time I've helped competing theaters. I've probably put back together at least a dozen prints that got tossed from the platter and at saved at least half a dozen prints that got wet from a roof leak over the platter. I know some people have the belief we should never help "the other guy", but I don't buy into that nonsense. This week I might help them put a movie back together, the next week they might have a platter part that saves one of my screens that I need to borrow for 2 days until I can get a replacement. Sometimes it was something as simple as borrowing a BIB of Coke for a day until our stock truck arrived to pay them back. (There was a very nice Loews across the street that we used to help each other out like that.)

Probably the most ridiculous example I can think of was at the UA Prestonwood. They used to have constant problems when they ran 70mm films in the early 90s. I remember the assistant manager there who was a good friend at the time telling me how terrified they were of Hoffa because they said it broke 9 times out of 10 shows. They had their tech out there several times already trying to find the cause of the problem and yet almost every show they were giving out emergency passes. I was managing a UA down the road and I was over there either picking up borrowed stock or dropping it off (I don't remember) when the film broke. Apparently the GM was the only one who knew how to run the 70mm other than a different assistant manager. The GM was at lunch and that other assistant manager was off. He asked me if I could re-thread it and get it going again. While I was putting it back together he kept ranting about how often that film broke and how the tech said it was a defective print. During the re-thread I found the gate was closing WAAAAAY too tight. So I made him delay the show a few more minutes, found some allen wrenches and adjusted the damn thing. That film didn't break again for the rest of its run. Geez [Roll Eyes]

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-09-2011 04:23 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The weird thing is that the Brattle is usually one of the better places in this area to see a film. They have good people working there and didn't deserve this.

The patron in question really should have gone to a show at the AMC Boston Common, instead. A flawless show is a rare occurrence there.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-09-2011 07:45 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
The patron in question really should have gone to a show at the AMC Boston Common, instead. A flawless show is a rare occurrence there.

He would, but some asshole had trashed the Concession Stand there so he went elsewhere.

Robert Koch
Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2011 07:48 PM      Profile for Robert Koch   Email Robert Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many years ago the owner of the Town Hall theater in Quincy Ca was shot to death in his own theatre because the assailant "did`nt like the way he was running the fight pictures"

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-09-2011 08:26 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you explain that one to your mates down the pub?

"Yeah I got nicked cos 'The Sound Of Music' went out of focus and I smashed the place up..."

I hope they put him in prison. The staff working must have been really scared.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 01-10-2011 07:17 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine even his mates at the pub would be telling him to lay off the booze for a while.

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-15-2011 07:52 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only in Boston!

Btw.. I second Brad's opinion about helping back and forth between competitors. A wise friend once tole me that people really don't see the difference between different companies they just see "the movies" and a bad experience at one theatre can turn them off to all theatres including yours.

David E. Nedrow
Master Film Handler

- posted 01-16-2011 12:42 AM      Profile for David E. Nedrow   Author's Homepage   Email David E. Nedrow   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
I know some people have the belief we should never help "the other guy", but I don't buy into that nonsense. This week I might help them put a movie back together, the next week they might have a platter part that saves one of my screens that I need to borrow for 2 days until I can get a replacement.
I'm with you. I've loaned parts to other theatres, and borrowed parts as well. The Gateway Film Center is nearby and they've been helpful since we started up in 2009. And the AMC that's five minutes away sends people here if they've sold out and we have the same film on-screen. And if people inexplicably show up here for something showing at a nearby theatre, we always give them directions and any additional available showtimes.

I'm ready to help in any way I can. I hope for the same in return.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: