Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What was the biggest flop of 2010? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What was the biggest flop of 2010?
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-03-2011 03:20 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My vote goes for the Tourist. I liked it a lot but it seems nobody went to see it.

Also Knight and Day failed bad as well.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-03-2011 05:54 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sex and the City 2

The good part of the story is, it pretty much assures there won't be a "3."

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-03-2011 06:17 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
The good part of the story is, it pretty much assures there won't be a "3."
Care to make a little wager on that one, Mike? While it cost $100 to make and only made $95,347,692 domestically...take a look at what it did in the rest of the world.

Worldwide box office for SATC2

Oh yes...there'll be another for sure...maybe more than one.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 01-03-2011 06:26 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it only cost $100 to make and it made 92 million dollars, there will be dozens more! [Smile]

Burleigh Ibbott
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2011 06:35 PM      Profile for Burleigh Ibbott   Email Burleigh Ibbott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Definately Last Airbender ( another shyamalan flop) Oh i forgot Jonah Hex too.

Burleigh

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 01-03-2011 07:29 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK Joe, I meant to write $100 million. (Even though it really did look like it cost $100) [Razz]

Robert D Hall
Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2011 08:27 PM      Profile for Robert D Hall   Author's Homepage   Email Robert D Hall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest flop for us not only for 2010 but ever. Would have to be for colored girls. I think its the only move we have ever had that didn't sale 1 ticket on opening day. By the time it was over it grossed around 50 dollars here.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 01-03-2011 08:30 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would probably say Green Zone. It did almost no business for us. It was actually good, too.

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2011 09:51 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd happily have a third Sex and the City. We got a great food spend opening night on SATC2, and it played well for a week or so. The TV show was on the free-to-view Channel 4 here so probably got more exposure than it did in the USA (HBO is expensive and limited right?).

Edit: As for flops, we had a lot of films underperform but nothing sunk big time. I think Prince of Persia and Legend of the Guardians stand out from Hollywood, Tamara Drewe and Made in Dagenham from the UK (but they got '15' ratings which kills the middle class family audience that laps that stuff up).

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-03-2011 09:58 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Burleigh Ibbott
Definately Last Airbender ( another shyamalan flop) Oh i forgot Jonah Hex too.

I agree on Jonah Hex, as horrible as Last Airbender was it didn't really flop. It still made $318mil domestic and worldwide on a budget of $150mil. Thats not really a flop, but Jonah Hex only made $10.5mil domestic and $300,000 world wide and cost $47mil to make. That ladies and germs is a flop.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-03-2011 11:13 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
Care to make a little wager on that one, Mike?
I don't know....95 mil in the states is truly very bad for a summer tentpole movie. And you have the dismal reviews on top of that. But, I can see your point too -- so I won't take that bet! [Smile]

For the record, our lowest-attended movie of 2010 was "Red."

Jim Bedford
Jedi Master Film Handler

From: Telluride, CO, USA (733 mi. WNW of Rockwall, TX but it seems much, much longer)

- posted 01-04-2011 04:48 PM      Profile for Jim Bedford   Author's Homepage   Email Jim Bedford   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of you must be accounting challenged. Although I agree it sucked as a film, THE LAST AIRBENDER cost $150M to make and grossed $318,949,222 worldwide. This does not include any ancillary rights like PPV, video on demand, DVD, Blu-ray, etc. from all over the world.

You want the more highly touted economic disasters of 2010, look no further than GREENBERG, MACGRUBER, REPO MEN, CONVICTION, EXTRAORDINARY MEASURES, 127 HOURS (although it will get a pre-AA noms rollout), LET ME IN and a few others.

Some need to separate expectations from reality.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-04-2011 06:08 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for backing up what I said Jim with the stats again [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 01-04-2011 06:10 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess one needs to keep in mind what kind of "flop" is being discussed. If it's just financial flops we're concerned with, that list is pretty endless. But I mentioned Sex and the City 2 because it not only did less business than expected (in the US at least), but it was a total turkey of a movie, as well.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-05-2011 02:06 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
I guess one needs to keep in mind what kind of "flop" is being discussed. If it's just financial flops we're concerned with, that list is pretty endless. But I mentioned Sex and the City 2 because it not only did less business than expected (in the US at least), but it was a total turkey of a movie, as well.
Flop means financial. Shit movies do well all the time while good movies make no money often.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: