Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » What is closest number of cinemas you have to one another? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What is closest number of cinemas you have to one another?
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-26-2010 07:24 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I live in a pretty busy area but it is still developing. Not a giant area like Toronto or anything. I live close to the highway and it appear we have an extreme number of cinema all close one another.

Within about 20km we have.

SilverCity 10
AMC 24
Encore 5
SilverCity 12
Encore 6
SilverCity 14

There are 13 Real D cinemas, one IMAX (not open to public), One Ultra AVX.

A total of 71 screens all along QEW in my area all within 20km. Going the other from the first cinema, it is about 35 km to the next cinema.

There used to be the Empire 6 that was in there as well, but that closed.

|  IP: Logged

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 12-26-2010 08:09 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know the current status of most of these, but when I was living in Virgina in the late 1990s, we had the following within about a fifteen mile radius, all open for a short period (circa 1997/1998):

AMC Patrick Henry Mall 7 (now closed)
AMC Hampton Mall 4 (now closed)
Regal Kiln Creek 20 (expanded from 14)
NEI Cinemas Hampton (3-plex discount house, now closed)
AMC Hampton Towne Center 24
Regal Riverdale Plaza 12
Carmike Williamsburg Crossing 7 (now closed)
Carmike Williamsburg Montecello 4 (the dumpiest theatre I have ever seen; now mercifully closed)
Williamsburg Theatre (single art-house; I worked there)

I thought that this area was way over-screened at the time, especially considering that most of these were total dumps.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2010 09:00 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Carmike Fashion Square Cinema 10 screens all digital
Goodrich Saginaw 12 12 screens less than 1/4 mile apart
in the Township

Court Street Theatre Single screen 35mm film second run
in the City of Saginaw and 4 miles from the 22 first run screens

Temple Theatre single screen 16mm, 35mm and 70mm
rep and special films. 4 miles from the 22 screens and 3 miles from the Court Street Theatre

Carl Martin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2010 02:54 AM      Profile for Carl Martin   Author's Homepage   Email Carl Martin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
in 2001, i had the following in about a 1 mile radius:

california theatre (3 screens, where i work)
shattuck cinemas (10 screens, 2 added around 2000)
ua theater (7? screens. i don't go there)
act 1&2 (2 screens, now closed)
uc theatre (1 screen, now closed)
fine arts (1 screen, now closed)
pacific film archive (1 screen)

since then, i've had to travel into san francisco much more frequently for my fix.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-30-2010 11:37 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Within a four-block radius in Glendale CA is the one screen Alex, the ten screen Mann Exchange, the four screen Mann Marketplace and the eighteen screen Pacific Americana at Brand.

Then, of course, in Ontario CA, there is a 30 screen AMC in the Ontario Mills mall, and a 24 screen Edwards in the parking lot of the mall.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-31-2010 12:08 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Edward Havens
Then, of course, in Ontario CA, there is a 30 screen AMC in the Ontario Mills mall, and a 24 screen Edwards in the parking lot of the mall.
What? Any pics

John Joseph Fink
Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2010 10:32 AM      Profile for John Joseph Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John Joseph Fink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In New Jersey we once had, all within 4 miles (and for most of this they were all unable to play day and date with each other):

-Loews Plaza 8 - Secaucus, NJ (replaced by Kerasotes Showplace 14)
-Loews Meadows 6 - Secaucus, NJ (replaced by Kerasotes Showplace 14)
-Regal Bergen Plaza 13 - North Bergen, NJ (after a year it became a discount house, closed and later was a hybrid Hollywood/Art House/Discount house)
-Regal Columbia Park 12 - North Bergen, NJ (the only of the bunch still open - now permitted to play day and date with Showplace after a discount stint as Interstate and Starplex's only North East location - it shows Bollywood and first run Hollywood films as Phoenix Theaters / Big Cinemas).

=39 screens in four miles

The problem for Bergen Plaza is it was an industrial neighborhood in a parking garage under a supermarket, strange and slightly scary location - whereas both Secaucus theaters were in vibrant shopping areas with plenty of restaurants near by.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-31-2010 11:27 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
What? Any pics
 -

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-31-2010 12:56 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My apologies... the Edwards is a 22-plex, not a 24. Haven't been there since Lost in Space in 1998.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 12-31-2010 02:05 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like it's more a 23-plex since it's got the IMAX screen. And perhaps it was a 24-plex originally before they put in the IMAX part? That could explain your thinking it was. I wouldn't know.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2011 02:14 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, it was always a 22 including the IMAX, which was there opening day.

Michael Coate
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2011 10:19 PM      Profile for Michael Coate   Email Michael Coate   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Edward Havens
Then, of course, in Ontario CA, there is a 30 screen AMC in the Ontario Mills mall, and a [22] screen Edwards in the parking lot of the mall.
Not to mention, in addition to those 50+ screens, within a fairly short distance can be found another 26 screens (Mountain Village 14 and Victoria Gardens 12). Totally over-screened area.

Another over-screened region in Southern California, in my opinion, is Murrieta/Temecula. When I lived there in the late-1990s/early-2000s, there was the following all within a couple miles of one another:

The Movie Experience 17
Temecula 15
Tower Plaza 10
Temeku 7

That's 49 screens for an area covering only a few miles and a population of about 100,000. (The Temeku seven-screener started life as first-run but at some point switched to second-run.)

Plus, built during the '80s, there also was the Rancho California 10 and Winchester Square 3. Both of these were closed by the time I arrived, if I remember correctly, but there may have been some operational overlap with some of the ones cited above. (Rancho California 10 converted into a gym, and the Winchester Square operated as an auto parts store.)

What are your thoughts on how many screens are needed for a region/population range? At what point does an area become over-screened? And, which is more relevant: the number of screens in a complex, or the cumulative screens in a region?

Jonathan M. Crist
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 01-01-2011 10:42 PM      Profile for Jonathan M. Crist   Email Jonathan M. Crist   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The old formula (up through the end of the 1970's when most theatres were still single screens/twins/triplexes) was one screen for every 10,000 people within a given geographic area (if you wanted to make a decent profit).

When multiplexes evolved in the 80's and 90's that formula became one screen for every 5,000 people within a given geographic area(because each auditorium was smaller in terms of seat count).

In each of the above formulas the geographic area would vary a bit but generally it is based on the premise that no one is going to travel more than 20 to 30 miles one way to see a movie. (so in figuring out an area you need to calculate a radius of 20 to 30 miles of a given location.)

IMHO it the total number of screens in an given geographical area based on the population within that area which is the most important. However there is some leeway in the one screen per 5,000 population drawing area as some areas are just bigger moviegoing areas than others.

It also seems that when an area has more smaller complexes (e.g. 8 or less screens per venue) the public ends up with LESS choice in films as each of these smaller complexes all play the same half dozen popular titles.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 01-02-2011 06:10 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Jonathan M. Crist
It also seems that when an area has more smaller complexes (e.g. 8 or less screens per venue) the public ends up with LESS choice in films as each of these smaller complexes all play the same half dozen popular titles.
I think more complexes is the problem. The smaller complexes will never do as well. Also the larger theatre will be preceived as better based just on the size alone.

Christopher Crouch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 01-02-2011 06:15 AM      Profile for Christopher Crouch   Email Christopher Crouch       Edit/Delete Post 
Irvine/Tustin, Ca.
Within a five mile radius:

Edwards Spectrum 21
Edwards Westpark 8
Edwards Marketplace Stadium 10
Edwards Marketplace 6
Edwards University 6
AMC District 14
Starplex Woodbridge 5

If you were to expand the range to twenty miles, the number of theatres/screens would become really freaky. However, the population density and movie going habits of Orange County really don't result in a notable over-screening issue.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: