Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Where are the film projectors going? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Where are the film projectors going?
Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2010 09:24 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just went to a theater I worked at for 9 years and where I first learned how to project film. 4 out of the 6 screens are now using digital projection, and the other 2 are scheduled to get digital in a few months. I asked someone there what happened to the film projectors, and she said they melted them down. I sort of doubt that, but if they aren't keeping them at the theaters then where are they going? I'd like to buy one someday, and if regular theaters are going to stop using them there should be a bunch looking for new homes.

|  IP: Logged

Mike Spaeth
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-25-2010 10:47 PM      Profile for Mike Spaeth   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Spaeth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She's probably right. Many of them are just being sold for scrap metal.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2010 01:10 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So how much are they going for? Can I get one?

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 12-26-2010 06:24 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many are being put into corners. Kept for spares.

A few are being reinstalled at lesser theatres.

A few, previously removed, are being reinstalled back where they started. (Digital removed or side-by-side.) Louis

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2010 03:49 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Besides going to dealers backrooms there is the overseas market where digital will take longer to catch on.

Edward Havens
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2010 04:06 PM      Profile for Edward Havens   Email Edward Havens   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When my theatre recently closed, all the projectors and sound equipment were purchased by other (mostly independent) exhibitors, for spare parts. They moved them in to storage for when those parts were needed.

Michael Riley
Film Handler

- posted 12-26-2010 09:08 PM      Profile for Michael Riley   Email Michael Riley       Edit/Delete Post 
Regal and AMC are (were?) selling their old 35MM equipment to buyers from Central and South America

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-27-2010 01:29 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd also guess that a lot of those decommissioned projectors are outbound to South America and The Caribbean. When I worked in The Bahamas, all of our projectors were refurbished, taken out of American theatres, screening rooms, etc.

Jonathan Althaus
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2010 05:28 PM      Profile for Jonathan Althaus   Email Jonathan Althaus   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For us, certain models are going to other sites or down south, but my models are not. Simplex 1050's apparently aren't wanted

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-27-2010 07:06 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There aren't enough screens in Latin America to absorb all the 35mm projectors coming out.

Regal is paying Strong Technical to haul off the film equipment. A lot of this is going to landfill, particularly consoles and platters.

AMC has been putting some directly in the dumpster under a watchful eye of a guard.

As far as other companies, I not be knowing.

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 12-27-2010 07:26 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sam.

That is really cruel. I would kill for a Century DAW setup!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-27-2010 07:33 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ian get a good machine a GK21 or a CW [Smile]
Century's i have found are a pain to maintain

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 12-27-2010 10:29 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon.

I like the GK21's apart from 2 things, the double speed shutter and that ridiculous aperture change. Why did they design it like that???
Otherwise, they are a brilliantly well built machine and I wouldn't say no to one. I wonder what the parts situation is?

C&W's? I already have a pair of P6's and feel it's almost time to upgrade to a more 'heavy metal' style of machine.
...an Christmas has just past. Oh well, maybe next year.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-27-2010 11:37 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worst example of projector waste I heard of is when Pacific was converting the Cinemra Dome in Hollywood to the Arclight Cinemas...during the demolition, they opened the booth wall up, set a dumpster in the auditorium, and shoved the Norelco AAII's over the edge.

I chewed out their main man, told him I would have arranged to remove them on my dime. Buttmunch.

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-28-2010 08:25 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
they opened the booth wall up, set a dumpster in the auditorium, and shoved the Norelco AAII's over the edge.
Tony, When was the last time you was in the Dome's booth? Ralph sent me to the Dome many times. I never saw any Norelco AAII's sitting there in any part of the booth. During that time Carl had installed a pair of Century JJ's. with two Christie AW-3's, but that's 1991. Arclight Hollywood opened March of 2002. During the early 1990's Carl had to reinstall projectors back into the Pantages Theatre. He took the two Norelco's from the Paramount (aka ElCapitan) and two from the Hastings in Pasadena for the job. He took parts of my sound system for theirs and updated mine at the Hollywood Pacific Theatre. Yes, he dumpped alot of booth equipment from the basement warehouse at the Pacific. Just like Mann Theatres did from the old Fox Theatre on Hollywood Blvd., they used it as an equipment warehouse for the chain.
A friend got a few full booth setups from AMC Century City for around $1000 per booth.

Just like the old Crazy Eddie commercials. The Prices Are Insane !

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: