Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Paging Neff & Hooper; Need East bay (CA) Theatre identified

Author Topic: Paging Neff & Hooper; Need East bay (CA) Theatre identified
Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2010 10:14 AM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Eric, Scott & others:

There was an old 1970's multiplex in a mall out in the Dublin/Livermore vicinity? It certantly would have been in Alameda County. It was last operated by AMC or Mann but may have been built by another chain.

I seem to recall it had about 6 screens, a huge lobby, and 1970's swanky decor. It might have had two box offices. I believe it was a discount house and it closed circa 1993.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

|  IP: Logged

James Westbrook
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2010 03:16 PM      Profile for James Westbrook   Email James Westbrook   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A spill-over from the Cinematour site...
speaking of which, I need to join that.
Did Mann have theaters in the SF Bay area? I knew they were in So Cal.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2010 06:37 PM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott, Eric, Others:

Disregard this post. My memory is playing tricks on me. I tried to delete this posting but the system will not let me.

Yes, there were Mann Theatres in the Bay area:

Fashion Island 6, Foster City
The Festival Theatres (Walnut Creek, Marin County) were also part of Mann.

Eric Hooper
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-23-2010 06:51 PM      Profile for Eric Hooper   Email Eric Hooper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike,

I think the theatre you're thinking of was the Dublin Cinema on Dublin Blvd. It had two box offices, one in the front and one on the west side entrance. Man the place was funky. I loved it! [evil]

The theatre was operated by EM Theatres, also known as the Enea family. When they opened their Galaxy 8 theatre in Pleasanton, the Dublin Cinema became 2nd run. This was in the early '90's sometime. The Dublin Cinema closed in 1998.

Here are pictures: http://www.cinematour.com/tour/us/1969.html

Is this the one you were thinkin' of?

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-24-2010 01:39 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: James Westbrook
Did Mann have theaters in the SF Bay area?
They had the old Warfield Theatre on Market Street in San Francisco till around 1979. And the Parkside Theatre also in San Francisco till around 1988. And they operated the Grand Lake Theatre in Oakland before selling it to the current owner.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 12-24-2010 03:01 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fox Concord was National General Corp. that bought up Fox West Coast. NGC later became Mann. Cinema opened 12/18/1968 and closed perhaps 10 years later.

Mike Croaro
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-27-2010 10:25 AM      Profile for Mike Croaro   Email Mike Croaro   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Folks:

Thanks for your comments.

Mike

Scott D. Neff
Theatre Dork

- posted 03-01-2011 01:21 PM      Profile for Scott D. Neff   Author's Homepage   Email Scott D. Neff   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I feel bad that I did not hear my page... but yes -- plenty of Mann theatres were up here, most of which were Festival Cinemas.

And yes Mike -- you were thinking of the Dublin Cinemas, which was like a time machine, the further you went into the theatre the older it got.

It was funny when I asked to see the booth, as we were walking up the stairs the projectionist said that they had really old equipment and then some "funky platter" so I figured they had Super Platters or something with an old Autowind II or something... nope... Cinemacannica Towers with one Autowind II. Jaw dropped to the floor at the sight of those things being used to run a multiplex.

There was also a drive-in behind the cinemas for a good portion of their life, the booth for the multiplex was used for the drive-in as well as there was a port to nowhere on the back wall. So sad.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: