Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » This trailer has to be a copyright issue (What a rip off of THX) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: This trailer has to be a copyright issue (What a rip off of THX)
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-19-2010 01:15 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check out this trailer for Regal RPX.

Looks and sounds very similar to a THX trailer.

Regal RPX

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-19-2010 01:36 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really. Just because a note is sustained (and a much different one) does not constitute a copyright violation.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-19-2010 01:37 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Not really. Just because a note is sustained (and a much different one) does not constitute a copyright violation.
I know it is not a true copyright issue, but you don't rip off a THX trailer do you? The entire trailer looks like a rip off

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-19-2010 01:54 AM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with you -- the entire "campaign" (using 3 letters, etc) is fishy. There's definitely a strong similarity there. But I don't think it's illegal. No less legal than Pepsi being similar to Coke, or McDonald's and Burger King being similar.

I also agree with Brad. The mere concept of sustaining a note is not grounds for copyright. Even if the exact same tones and instruments were used, you can't copyright a simple chord. That'd be insane.

My hunch is that this falls under the general sub-heading of "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

It's not the sustained part that makes the THX "Deep Note" worthy of copyright. The entire work consists of several synthesized glissandi that start at specific frequencies and eventually arrive at a particular sustained chord.

According to Tom Holman, what made "Deep Note" even more unique was the algorithm devised to achieve it. The technology was barely there when it was recorded. Unfortunately, our conversation took place a few years back -- a lot of it went over my head at the time and it's hard to remember things I don't entirely understand -- but the short of it was that it is more complicated "under the hood" than most would imagine.

I'll ask him again and see if he'll allow me to reprint it here.

Please stand by.

Manny Montes
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2010 04:11 PM      Profile for Manny Montes   Email Manny Montes   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the 3 letter thing is more because the major chains love acronyms:
XD, RPX, ETX, etc.. the fact that it is 3 letters like THX seems like its more of a coincidence.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-19-2010 04:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
And thank the heavens for "3D toothpaste"! [puke]

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 12-19-2010 09:06 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Three letters...and ends with "X" [Wink]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 12-20-2010 10:45 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Manny Montes
I think the 3 letter thing is more because the major chains love acronyms:
XD, RPX, ETX

I blame the car companies for starting that.

Maybe I should change the name of my theatre to "ROX". [Smile]

Ian Parfrey
Phenomenal Film Handler

From: Imbil Australia 26 deg 27' 42.66" S 152 deg 42' 23.40" E

- posted 12-20-2010 12:58 PM      Profile for Ian Parfrey   Email Ian Parfrey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Shouldn't there be a small "i" in front to make it really special? [Confused]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-20-2010 05:02 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
iAN

You're right! [thumbsup]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-20-2010 11:32 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mike Blakesley
Maybe I should change the name of my theatre to "ROX"
You're right Mik.

Jon.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-21-2010 12:36 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Its Joh silly. [Razz]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 12-21-2010 02:21 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, but you do realize that makes you 'Bra' then. [Razz]

Joh.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-21-2010 03:19 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just call me JRX. Brad can be BMX (which is awesome).

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-21-2010 03:41 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, you're Red.

Got something against bras there, John? [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: