Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Any thoughts about "hybrid" theaters? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Any thoughts about "hybrid" theaters?
Celine Negrete
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2010 01:56 PM      Profile for Celine Negrete   Author's Homepage   Email Celine Negrete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curious as to what any of you might think about the idea of 'hybrid' theaters? As our film buyer describes them, they are the best of both worlds...they usually have a traditional 'multiplex' area where they show current commercial Hollywood films (including kids movies), with a traditional concessions area.

But, they also have another area with more screens that tends to be limited to 21 and over, often includes a bar/restaurant, and more plush/comfy theaters. Some of these screens might show arthouse films, but also commercial films that adults might prefer to see in an theater without teenagers/kids.

A couple of examples:
http://www.monacopicturesusa.com/
http://www.cinetopiatheaters.com/

From what I have heard, both of the examples above are doing very well. They have been described as the 'wave of the future'. The idea being you can appeal to everyone (in theory)...families, teens, adults looking for a nice night out, arthouse crowds, etc. And with everything from popcorn and soda, to tapas and wine, along with Harry Potter and Winter's Bone you have all your bases covered.

Thoughts? Has anyone been to a theater like this? I have read a lot of reviews on Yelp for both these examples. They are both highly-rated, but if there are complaints they are mostly about the execution of the concept, not complaints about the concept itself.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-12-2010 02:24 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Celine Negrete
But, they also have another area with more screens that tends to be limited to 21 and over, often includes a bar/restaurant, and more plush/comfy theaters. Some of these screens might show arthouse films, but also commercial films that adults might prefer to see in an theater without teenagers/kids
I have seen some of these theatres and the jury is still out IMO. They work in certain markets for a reason

Cineplex Odeon has these theatres and they are called "VIP" theatres. Cineplex Odeon Varsity is doing well and so is the Cineplex Odeon VIP Oakville.

The problem with these theatres are this:

1. You limited who will see the movie with an under 21 age limit (which makes point #3)
2. You limited who will pay $17.75 a pop for this theatre.
3. With VIP, you now need a "non" VIP theatre/screen of the same film for those who do not want to pay extra for this service.
4. You only really do well during the weekend evenings for these theatres.

The benefits to VIP are if you are in a saturated market and offer:

1. Reserved seating (HUGE importance)
2. Private adult only
3. More upscale.

People can talk alchohol or tapas all they want, this is nothing new. Cineplex Canada Square and Carlton offered this service way back in the mid 90s.

With the above being said, Cineplex Odeon has done something very, very strategic in certain markets. Cineplex/Encore/AMC all have a combined 51 screen from three theatres in a combined 20km distance in my area.

Cineplex has 20 screen in two cinemas (10 each) on either side of the AMC 24 and the Encore 5 (Independent). At the two Cineplex Theatres you can reserve seats at the SilverCity Ultra AVX or the Cineplex VIP. You can't do that at Encore Oakville or AMC.

Reserved seating ensure those "hardcore" fans will come to your theatre.

'wave of the future'.
The wave of the future is not VIP or over 21 screenings. It will be "uber" cinmeas like Ultra AVX/ETX/Empire Extra which allow the "hardcore" fans to get what they want on opening nights for movies like Twilight/Harry Potter/Tron etc. Most new multiplexes will need to offer one or two of these screen to get the opening night crowds.

Just to put things in perspective, guess which theatre in my over saturated market did not open Twilight Eclipse, Harry Potter 7, and Tangled....All of those movies went to the Silvercity VIP and Ultra AVX.

If you are in a overly saturated market, the biggest thing you can offer to the public, is free reserved seating...sadly, the boys at Encore do not get this and are not drawing the crazy opening days fans.

Cineplex VIP

For an FYI, Cineplex Odeon Square One 10 (now Empire) had VIP in four THX theatres in a exclusive upper level which was an EPIC fail. It now sits empty, and the theatre only play arts and low key movies.

Also, 3D VIP 19+ is $20.25 a ticket at Oakville VIP

Celine Negrete
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2010 02:30 PM      Profile for Celine Negrete   Author's Homepage   Email Celine Negrete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry about the double-post...not sure how to delete one of them, or maybe someone else has to do that?

But...what if you are NOT in an over-saturated market at all? What if you are in a smaller town with only one independent theatre (with say maybe 9 screens, over 3 locations)? And they do not offer reserved seating, beer/wine, food, etc. Just the traditional theater experience.

What about then?

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-12-2010 02:34 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

But...what if you are NOT in an over-saturated market at all? What if you are in a smaller town with only one independent theatre (with say maybe 9 screens, over 3 locations)? And they do not offer reserved seating, beer/wine, food, etc. Just the traditional theater experience.

Sadly, I don't think a reserve theatre or over 21 will work. Nor would 9 screens.

Think about it this way?

Why haven't the larger chains thought of this for your market.

Celine, how large is the population?

Celine Negrete
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2010 03:01 PM      Profile for Celine Negrete   Author's Homepage   Email Celine Negrete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Within city limits, a little over 15,000. The county itself is 98,000. Someone would have to travel a minimum of 50 minutes to find any kind of theatre offering any of the described 'amenities'.

I understand what you are saying about the larger chains. I think we are a 'borderline' community (looking at the demographics from the outside). But, we are continuing to grow (with a lot of the growth coming from transplants from the Bay Area (San Francisco, etc), coming with a certain desire to continue having great food, shops, films, art, etc. that they have been used to. And we have always been considered an 'arts' community, it has always been a strong element in our community. But, no, a complex that charges $17/ticket would not work here. That is not what I am asking about. Those are prices associated with larger or more urban markets. I understand that too.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-12-2010 03:03 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Within city limits, a little over 15,000.
Does the town have cinema already?

Celine Negrete
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2010 03:11 PM      Profile for Celine Negrete   Author's Homepage   Email Celine Negrete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The nine screens, but at three separate locations, I mentioned above. All owned by the same family and traditional 'multiplex' feel.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 12-12-2010 03:32 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The nine screens, but at three separate locations, I mentioned above. All owned by the same family and traditional 'multiplex' feel.
If all 9 screens are all owned by the same family and if they play all the films currently in wide release, then you have no chance.

If you have a small cinema and think you will get a blockbuster over the owner with 9 screens, then you are mistaken. Also, if those cinemas have 3D (which I am pretty sure will) then you WILL NOT get a 2D print of the movie or a 3D digital theatre. The owner of the 9 screens will have an advantage of being able to support all the bad films released by the distributors that have the good ones too.

So, yes a small independent art house type theatre will work as a small niche. Not really sure a "hybrid" has much of a chance. There is cleary demand for movies in your area based on population and the fact there are 9 screens in three different locations.

But you will have to run very similar to the Princess Twin in Waterloo.

I would love to hear what others have to say.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2010 06:07 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As TOm said, a Hybrib prob will not work. However, a local theater The Terrace Theater that shows primarily art house independent movies with the occasional large budget film does quite well with the older 21+ crowd largely due to the films that they show and getting an exclusive in the city. Another big strong suit is that they have a large selection of beer and wine as well as TONS of different candies and just little niche items that other places don't offer.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 12-12-2010 06:17 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is all a matter of booking
often in a first run situation the studios will require the ability to move prints to different size screens to accomodate there upcoming product

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-12-2010 06:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know anything about hybrid theaters, but there is a place near me that is a Dent Repair/Steak House, so I suppose anything is possible. I'd like to see a Redbox installed inside a movie theater lobby.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 12-12-2010 08:27 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Seen it! Back in the late 80s the Wilshire Village Twin cinema in Burleson, TX converted half of their lobby to a video rental store.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 12-12-2010 08:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK OK OK... how about this one: Hybrid movie theater/parking lot.

Jake Spell
Master Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2010 09:13 PM      Profile for Jake Spell   Email Jake Spell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinebarre did that too. Showed a movie once a month in the parking lot on an inflatable screen. [Big Grin]

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2010 09:14 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does a drive-in count?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: