Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Any thoughts about "hybrid" theaters?

Author Topic: Any thoughts about "hybrid" theaters?
Celine Negrete
Film Handler

- posted 12-12-2010 01:55 PM      Profile for Celine Negrete   Author's Homepage   Email Celine Negrete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Curious as to what any of you might think about the idea of 'hybrid' theaters? As our film buyer describes them, they are the best of both worlds...they usually have a traditional 'multiplex' area where they show current commercial Hollywood films (including kids movies), with a traditional concessions area.

But, they also have another area with more screens that tends to be limited to 21 and over, often includes a bar/restaurant, and more plush/comfy theaters. Some of these screens might show arthouse films, but also commercial films that adults might prefer to see in an theater without teenagers/kids.

A couple of examples:
http://www.monacopicturesusa.com/
http://www.cinetopiatheaters.com/

From what I have heard, both of the examples above are doing very well. They have been described as the 'wave of the future'. The idea being you can appeal to everyone (in theory)...families, teens, adults looking for a nice night out, arthouse crowds, etc. And with everything from popcorn and soda, to tapas and wine, along with Harry Potter and Winter's Bone you have all your bases covered.

Thoughts? Has anyone been to a theater like this? I have read a lot of reviews on Yelp for both these examples. They are both highly-rated, but if there are complaints they are mostly about the execution of the concept, not complaints about the concept itself.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 12-12-2010 02:04 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, you are then getting into the restaurant and bar business. I think restaurants have an even higher failure rate than theatres. It is going to add lots of overhead to your operation. Thematically, it is just an upscale version of the "Flicks and Foam" model that's been around for a couple of decades.

Obviously it can be done, and from what I hear, Alamo does it nicely. My guess is, to make it work, every night has to be "special" and people have to think of it as an "event" location.

Personally, I wouldn't pay more to go to one of those places, but then, I don't buy popcorn either. I want a good presentation with no one bugging me while I watch. I am, however, no one's target demo. [evil]

I look forward to seeing the responses from people with more experience with these theatres.

|  IP: Logged

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Open Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: