Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Pacific NW popper techinician/concession supply

Author Topic: Pacific NW popper techinician/concession supply
Connor Kirkwood
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2010 05:30 AM      Profile for Connor Kirkwood   Email Connor Kirkwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our popcorn oil pump has been dead for the last two months, which means a demoralizing dig through solid coconut oil with ice cream scoops for every batch of popcorn we need to make. Our technician has been out twice and has deemed the problem "fixed" and "operator error" on respective visits. I called him for a third time this week, and after five days he has yet to get back to me. I'd like to terminate our relationship with him outright, but we currently get about 2/3 of our concessions items from the distributor that he works for.

Does anyone know of a reputable person who deals with popper repairs in the Portland, OR area? Someone who might be willing to help us with this issue on a freelance basis, with the possibility of being under contract in the future?

And to the PNW theater owners/operators out there, are any of you exceedingly happy with your current concessions distributors and care to share your elation with someone who is at the end of his rope with his current distributor?

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2010 11:31 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What brand of oil pump do you have? And what type do you have, BIB or 5 gallon bucket type?

The BIB (bag in box) types should usually stay on 24/7 to keep the oil heated. The bucket type usually have a 30 minute heater timer. When you press the oil delivery button/switch, do you hear the pump motor running? If so, it could just be solidified oil in the oil tube.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-04-2010 03:20 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is your popper a Cretors or a Gold Medal Products popper?
(I'd die in a heartbeat if you got a Manley...wonderful poppers)

Cretors' would be the 7701 pump assembly that would sit on top
of the 5gal bucket. If so, I bet the 4 pin socket plug has a open in it, or the switch on the popper console is bad where it's not supplying the 120v down to the center post which is also the heating element.

Trick with using coconut oil is to drain the line after the last batch cooked so it will not get hard in the lines when the location has closed down. And to drain is to simply lift up on the hose to allow the oil to flow back into the can, or disconnect the hose via the quick release that attaches to the top of the pump to a container to collect the oil in the line.

If it's a Cretors, what model would it be?

(I've teched out these danged Cretors to where I know them inside and out for plenty of years..)

-Monte

Robert E. Allen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2010 04:23 PM      Profile for Robert E. Allen   Email Robert E. Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Contact American Cinema Equipment in your city. I'm sure they can recommend someone for you. 1027 N. Argyle. 503-285-7015. www.cinequip.com

Connor Kirkwood
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2010 07:19 PM      Profile for Connor Kirkwood   Email Connor Kirkwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a Cretors 5-gallon bucket with the pump assembly and heating element on top. I'd have to check the manual for the exact model number (I'm at home right now), but it's one of the 7700 series. I'd give an arm and a leg for a BIB set-up. Soooo much easier to deal with in these colder climates.

It's definitely not a problem with congealed oil in the line. In winter I run the oil heat for at least a half an hour before opening and drain the line regularly at the end of every night. This is definitely an issue with the motor, because it fails to make any kind of sound when I activate the pump. When there's a block in the oil line, I at least hear the motor whir to indicate that it's trying.

Robert, we work with ACE regularly for projection issues, so I'll give them a call on Monday. Thanks.

Luke Anderson
Film Handler

- posted 12-04-2010 09:13 PM      Profile for Luke Anderson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have used Duane Williams from Cutting Edge based out of Vancouver, WA for years. His numbers are 360-571-7162 and 503-799-9769. He can pretty much fix any concessions equipment, but poppers are his game.

Good Luck,

-Luke

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 12-04-2010 09:37 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ususally what happens with the end of the pump assembly is that the cover end has those 4 thumb screws that holds the pump block assembly to the heater/motor shaft support will love to work loose-even slightly.

When this happens, it looses its prime and will not pump along with jamming up the two gears that is the pump itself causing the motor to sit there and just hum away.

Snug up those thumbscrews (unless they're just regular screws) and see what happens..

On the same topic of those two gears: They are made of soft metal and if they are dinged in any way, this will cause the two to jam when they are meshing being the straight geartooth type of gears.

Cretor's do have a BIB setup that you can get to replace that 7700 pump setup. Be cheaper in the long run, but have to keep the BIB boxes warm at all times if you're staying with coconut oil, in which Cretor's also have a BIB warming tray to place the boxes in.

A Cretor's dealer in Oregon:

10800 SE Highway 212
Clackamas, Oregon 97015
(800) 720-1383 · (503) 656-1383
Fax (503) 656-9200
info@upop.com

Don't ya love Cretor's

Good luck-Monte

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 12-08-2010 08:44 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Connor Kirkwood
And to the PNW theater owners/operators out there, are any of you exceedingly happy with your current concessions distributors and care to share your elation with someone who is at the end of his rope with his current distributor?
Not a lot of choice up here. We dropped our local distributor. After 30 years of prices I consider to be way too high, Vistar came around. They have some quirks, but I've been happier overall with them.

Down in your area, where Vistar is probably the main choice, you might feel about them like I do these other guys up here.

In any case, I maintain at least two suppliers for most everything I carry. Aside from price, I've had too many problems with one supplier or the other running out of inventory, right in the middle of my busy season. Having a backup doesn't make them happy, but I sleep a lot better.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: