Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » When did "Approved for All Audiences" become "Approved for Appropriate Audiences"? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: When did "Approved for All Audiences" become "Approved for Appropriate Audiences"?
Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 11-25-2010 08:35 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone else notice this on green bands? Did I miss something? When did that change? Seems like a silly thing to me. Who decides what audiences are "appropriate"? It kind of gets the MPAA off the hook when you can no longer say "They approved it for ALL audiences" when some over zealous parent complains. Now all of a sudden they have a legitimate complaint that they believe that particular audience is "inappropriate" for that trailer.

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-25-2010 08:42 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've no idea when it happened, but probably related to almost all "children's" movies being rated PG.

Here is some BS about advertising from the MPAA's official site:

quote:
In the theater, our objective is to give parents a reasonable expectation that if they are comfortable enjoying the content of the feature film they have chosen to see with their children, then they will be comfortable with the content of the trailers preceding it. Movie trailers featuring stronger content are permitted to run only with compatible features. We also are working closely with filmmakers to allow them to reach their target audiences in innovative ways. For this reason, you may see advertising with stronger content on television only at certain times, on certain channels or with certain programs, or on specific websites depending on the content of the advertising, including sites which are intended only for adults, as well as on restricted websites.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-25-2010 11:04 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It started happening about a year ago. There was a NATO email about it. As usual, they tried to spin it to say that "it gives the exhibitor more flexibility" or some such nonsense, but in reality it makes the green band completely meaningless.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-25-2010 12:02 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the paranoid, it is probably a way for distributors to completely control what trailers get played with their movies, at least in the digital realm. They just develop a list of trailers and then set up some sort of blocking code to prevent from playing trailers they don't want shown with their features.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-25-2010 07:41 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Astually the distribs have no control whatsoever what trailers you play, unless they embed them directly onto the feature film file, and even then it could be manually bypassed.

Sometimes there are contractual obligations to play certain trailers but that still requires the theatre to playlist the trailers involved.

This has been my experience, at least.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-26-2010 11:41 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, as I said, for the paranoid;>

I'm curious to know if this is at least theoretically possible. It seems as a programming matter it would be simple. And in contractual obligations as you mentioned and complete control.

Profitable and or practical are two different beasts.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 11-27-2010 08:59 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And . . . . if you're not "Appropriate" it is your duty to leave! [thumbsup] Louis

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2010 09:34 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When did Rated "M" change to Rated "GP"? When did Rated "GP" change to Rated "PG"? When did Rated "R" change from banning children under age 16 to age 17? When did the MPAA show any consistency in rating selecting a film's rating?

Jeffry L. Johnson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2010 11:40 AM      Profile for Jeffry L. Johnson   Author's Homepage   Email Jeffry L. Johnson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1970. 1972. 1970.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-27-2010 12:45 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mitchell Dvoskin
When did the MPAA show any consistency in rating selecting a film's rating?
As the ratings by design are without rules or standards, they can't possibly be consistent over the years. They are, afterall, only suggestions for parents made by other parents. Or mostly parents, I guess they get a few none parents on the ratings board now and then.

In short, the ratings are meaningless and should be ignored by adults. Not being a parent, I'll leave it to others to speak to their usefulness in selecting movies for the kiddos.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-27-2010 01:25 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin is correct. I did the new screening rooms for the MPAA and had a chance to meet most of the ratings board. There are indeed no written rules, only a very brief "guideline" as to certain things that would push a movie into a more restrictive rating.

There are NO single (without kids) raters, there is a mix of "moms and dads" as well as ethnicities. All were over the age of 30. (I'd say average age was 45-50.)

Two direct questions I posed to them were: Why did "The Right Stuff" end up with a PG (or was it PG-13) rating when "fuckin-a bubba" was said (as well as a direct callout of pussy, and not the cat) was used? (Formerly any use of the f-word or derivatives was an automatic "R"). The answer was that since "fuckin-a bubba" wasn't a direct sexual reference, it was only said a few times in the 3-hours plus, and the movie had no other factors (sexuality, graphic violence) it did not warrant an "R" rating. Fair enough.

The second question was "Why (for a long time) was full-frontal female nudity only worthy of an "R" but ANY full-frontal of a male, for even a second, was automatically an "X" (or "NC-17")?

There was a lot of hemming and hawing but the answer was pretty much "just because." I guess a guy's junk was somehow more horrifying and sexual (even when limp) than a woman's pootinanny. [Big Grin]

(I find a guy's junk to be more funny that sexual most of time anyways.)

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2010 01:38 PM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bigger issue with the ratings is that independent films are rated with a much stricter standard than major studio releases. Major studios are also more likely to successfully appeal a rating they don't like with no, or minimal, changes than an independent release. Either the content is appropriate, or it is not. Unfortunately they seem not to rate films that rate it that way.

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2010 08:57 PM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Watch the documentary called "This Film Is Not Yet Rated"- if you can get Netflix instant streaming it's available on there. It points out TONS of inconsistencies with the rating system which are pretty amusing. I've never understood all the hate for the NC-17 rating- Blockbuster refusing to carry movies with that rating was the main reason for avoiding it, but now that Blockbuster's on the way out (I've always boycotted them for that reason) it doesn't seem as big a deal. Part of the documentary has them submit it to the MPAA for a rating and of course they give it an NC-17 since they show clips from a few movies that were rated NC-17 (like "this movie was rated NC-17 because of THIS"- cut to clip) , and they make a big stink about not being able to appeal it.

I heard that 3 F-words automatically got you an R, but All The President's Men has it a bunch of times (all non-sexual) and that was PG (there was no PG-13 rating yet) and Gunner Palace (a documentary) got a PG-13 just because someone thought the movie was overall educational for kids who might want to join the military.

The "Appropriate Audiences" thing on trailers is stupid- they should have just come up with something other than a red-band that says that it can't be shown with G-rated movies.

Greg Anderson
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-27-2010 11:49 PM      Profile for Greg Anderson   Author's Homepage   Email Greg Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you find inconsistencies in movie ratings? Sure. Does the system still work? Absolutely. The most important thing that the MPAA does is prevent government censorship. Beyond that, if a parent truly cares, then it's certainly means something that a Will Ferrell movie is rated G or PG-13 or R.

If someone sees a PG-13 movie and enjoys it and THEN says, "I guess every PG-13 movie will be okay for me and my kids," then they will be proven wrong. I'm glad the system doesn't work for people who refuse to use their brains.

As for "appropriate audiences," yes, this is a laziness on the part of the MPAA and a way to pass the blame for offense material in trailers which wasn't allowed in the past. Then again, the movie makers are the ones pushing for more "inappropriate material" in trailers. So it's their fault and the MPAA is just letting them advertise in the way they want to.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-28-2010 10:06 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Greg Anderson
The most important thing that the MPAA does is prevent government censorship.
Actually, the First Amendment does that. Though you have to fight to make it work. Just look at how obscenity for children laws are worded and think of all the PG movies you know of that are in violation.

The MPAA is a lobbying group for the motion picture industry. They do what lobbying groups are designed to do: get the government to work to their advantage. It is to the MPAA's advantage not to have politicians getting involved in the content of their movies, but to their advantage to have the government extend and enforce copyright, so the MPAA does things that keep the politicians happy, like maintaining a ratings system...and spreading money around.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: