Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » TIFF: Bell Lightbox (Thumbs up or thumbs down?) (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: TIFF: Bell Lightbox (Thumbs up or thumbs down?)
Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-01-2010 05:20 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone familiar with this place?

I was there about a week ago and I am thinking this going to be an historical failure. The theatre is nice, very artsy. It is included in a complex that has a condo's, restaurant and a cafe. But I just don't think there is a market for a 5 plex like this.

So the stats are this:

Five screens
Digital Cinema
35mm film
70mm film (cinema #1 only and it is being called the only 70mm screening theatre in Canada) Bell Lightbox

The theatre plays what is called "Essential Cinema". All the great historic movies "Jaws, Psycho, Godfather" etc will be screened.

The theatre is promoting brand "New 35mm prints films of movies such "Taxi Driver". For example, the movie "400 Blows" has a brand spanking new print.

Another feature of the theatre is "food not allowed" screenings. Recently the movie Apocolypse Now Redux had a ban of food.

The theater also has something called "Archival" prints as well.

The lineup of 70mm called "70mm week" will be in December. 2001, Lawrence of Arabia and Playtime will all be screened.

When I was at the theatre on a Monday night, the theatre was only using three of the five screens which I found odd.

Ticket prices are $12 for reg screenings and $18.75 for premium screenings.

I am wondering what others think of this? I just can't see it surviving without first run features in a least some of the theatres. The theatre is located in the heart of entertainment district in Downtown Toronto. The ACM 24 and Paramount Theatre 18 are close by.

|  IP: Logged

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-01-2010 06:03 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tom Petrov
historical failure
It's a Screening Venue. Like the AFI Silver Theatre in Maryland, American Cinematheque's Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood, American Cinematheque's Aero Theatre in Santa Monica, Billy Wilder Theatre in Westwood/Los Angeles, The Motion Picture Academy Theatre in Beverly Hills.
The above screening venues are some of the Best places to see films in any format in the US. And there are many more around the world that the goal of presenting films in a State-of-the-Art venue. These venues get and present screenings of rare prints that regular theatres can't book. Many times the operators are the Best in the city they are located in. You become a real projectionist at a theatre complex like that. Working or going to these types of theatres you see and get to meet the filmmakers.
As being a historical failure only time will tell. Its a place for filmmakers to have their films presented in a State-of-the-Art venue. [thumbsup]

Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2010 09:42 PM      Profile for Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Email Caleb Johnstone-Cowan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it is the only Screening Venue in Toronto it will work. There will be a lot of people who won't go to the multiplexes nearby, people in the film industry and those who see their favourite film is on and go to see it.

London has the BFI Southbank: www.bfi.org.uk/southbank

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-01-2010 10:12 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Every time I think Tom can't say anything more stupid than he has said before, he comes up with another gem like this thread. [Roll Eyes]

In a bizarre way I have to admire him though as it takes a lot of talent to come up with the [bs] he does.

News flash Tom: Screening venues have historically had the longest operational lives, by virtue of the very things you can't wrap your head around:

• Versatility in formats for exhibition (Note that they have Digital AND film, including your dead 70mm);
  • EXPERIENCED operators, not the "popcorn pushers" like at your favorite chain;
  • Attention to ALL facets of proper presentation including screen masking;
  • Most also are dual-film projector set up so they can run archival prints;
  • Most if not all have great relationships with the studios and make sure the studios are kept happy;
  • Many such venues can get films that will NEVER play at the multis because of the lack of care and print protection so prevalent at the multis.
Now since I don't live up in Canada I cannot vouch for if the Bell Lightbox is doing it right or not. But I have been to some of the venues Bill mentioned and they strive to do ALL presentations right, and the films and videos I have seen WERE done right.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-01-2010 10:16 PM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was under the impression that the whole reason for this theatre's existence was to centralize the TIFF and keep it from having to deal with places like the Cineplex Varsity and the Alliance Cumberland (which is getting to be kind of a hole), and that everything the rest of the year was just the icing.

I've spent a lot of time in Toronto over the years, and it has always struck me as a pretty film-savy town. As Bill has observed, there is always room for these kinds of theaters in areas where there is a big interest in film as an art form. I went by this place this past summer on my way to the Scotiabank, and it looked pretty cool. I'm glad people have a nice venue to see the classics in, and I hope it is a success. A 70mm festival coming up? Might be worth another trip up, though I will always associate 70mm there with the beautiful but long gone University and Uptown Theaters.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 11-01-2010 10:22 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Ogden
I was under the impression that the whole reason for this theatre's existence was to centralize the TIFF and keep it from having to deal with places like the Cineplex Varsity and the Alliance Cumberland (which is getting to be kind of a hole), and that everything the rest of the year was just the icing.
Excellent points Mark. A well-run film festival can bring in huge money, quite possibly meeting most if not all of the house "nut" for several months if not all year.

Not to mention the easing of the logistics of the festival rather than trying to spread it around over multiple venues.

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-01-2010 10:44 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Caleb Johnstone-Cowan
If it is the only Screening Venue in Toronto it will work. There will be a lot of people who won't go to the multiplexes nearby, people in the film industry and those who see their favourite film is on and go to see it.
There is actually a whole bunch of theatres that could be classified as "screening" rooms for non-mainstream fare.

The Cumberland, Toronto Underground, Kingsway, etc all screen non-mainstreem movies. Let's also not forget about the Carlton which is pretty much dead.

TIFF has pretty much left Varsity and Cumberland. They now use the AMC 24 and Paramount Festival Hall theatre. Ryerson Univerity is also in on the act.

quote:
In a bizarre way I have to admire him though as it takes a lot of talent to come up with the [bs] he does.

News flash Tom: Screening venues have historically had the longest operational lives, by virtue of the very things you can't wrap your head around:

* Versatility in formats for exhibition (Note that they have Digital AND film, including your dead 70mm);
* EXPERIENCED operators, not the "popcorn pushers" like at your favorite chain;
* Attention to ALL facets of proper presentation including screen masking;
* Most also are dual-film projector set up so they can run archival prints;
* Most if not all have great relationships with the studios and make sure the studios are kept happy;
* Many such venues can get films that will NEVER play at the multis because of the lack of care and print protection so prevalent at the multis.

Now since I don't live up in Canada I cannot vouch for if the Bell Lightbox is doing it right or not. But I have been to some of the venues Bill mentioned and they strive to do ALL presentations right, and the films and videos I have seen WERE done right.

Presentation aside. My big question is whether this theatre can support showing "older" movies at $12 or $18.75 a pop without a big blockbuster playing there each week. The theatre alone looks like it cost $30million if not much much more to build as it is brand new.

And just and FYI, I am not knocking film done right, digital or 70mm...this has nothing to do with those arguments. I actually will be attending "Playtime" in 70mm when it does play.

I stand corrected on cost. The entire complex cost $200 million dollars. tiff

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 11-02-2010 01:07 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most of the time those venues only deal with those big blockbuster films is for premieres. They have done very well for them selfs running older films right. In New York there is very few venues that do this.

John Joseph Fink
Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2010 08:52 AM      Profile for John Joseph Fink   Author's Homepage   Email John Joseph Fink   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My impression is the theater is running as a not for profit on land donated, in a building owned by a developer who has supported the festival for years. It's a beatiful venue (I saw two screenings at TIFF last year in Theatre #1, which has a small balcony and seats somewhere around 400.

If anything this replaces the screenings TIFF did at Jackman Hall down the street at the Art Gallery of Ontario and expands it from one screen to five, allowing them to fill the void that the Carlton used to (they used to have 9 screens of art films, now they have a mix). The scheduling is a little odd with new releases not getting a full 4-7 shows a day, but the programing is impressive. My guess is the building was paid for through donations, it runs as an NFP and is a bit like a museum, but King and John is a popular neighborhood, even if locals cry "conspiracy - they're moving the festival south bound" (true, this year The Varsity only ran two screens, where as in years prior they used all 12).

The design is something a chain could/never would build with a lot of open areas the heating bill alone....

Still I walked in and thought "damn these people are serious about cinema" - I'm not sure an equivalent really exists in the US. The Canadian government really does invest invest in film culture, the way the US government really doesn't need to: we're already a huge exporter of the American cultural image via Hollywood.

*** Update: it looks like The Carleton is now the move over house for the Bell Lightbox - Trigger, Uncle Boome, and Carlos are currently playing. Glad to see their back in the mix even if the screens there are comparable to a large TV set.

Mark Ogden
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 11-02-2010 10:25 AM      Profile for Mark Ogden   Email Mark Ogden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John: agreed on the Carlton. This place is always going to be cursed with an odd layout and small auditoriums, but I was in it this September and I thought the remodel job was superb and the presentation top-notch. Contrary to what was said above, I didn't notice it being "dead" at all, there was a considerable crowd the afternoon I was there. Much luck to the new owners.

quote: Tom Petrov
The lineup of 70mm called "70mm week" will be in December. 2001, Lawrence of Arabia and Playtime will all be screened.
I just looked at the on-line calendar for December, and I saw no mention of any of this. Do you have any specific information, Tom?

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 11-02-2010 12:26 PM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John: agreed on the Carlton. This place is always going to be cursed with an odd layout and small auditoriums, but I was in it this September and I thought the remodel job was superb and the presentation top-notch. Contrary to what was said above, I didn't notice it being "dead" at all, there was a considerable crowd the afternoon I was there. Much luck to the new owners.
From what I have been told, the Carlton is a flop. 1.5mil on renovation and the theatre is not doing the attendance they were hoping for.

Part of the issue from what I have learned is that they are not getting first crack and the indie movies. For example, "Solitary Man, Lebanon, Girl With The Dragon, Never Let Me Go" all played for a number of weeks at the Varisty, Cumberland and AMC 24 before Carlton got a crack at it.

Back when Cineplex Odeon was running the Carlton, many of these movies only played at Cartlon.

I just looked at the on-line calendar for December, and I saw no mention of any of this. Do you have any specific information, Tom?
I have the Tiff program/guide called "180c Essential Cinema". On the last page they mention 70mm coming this December. I will PM you if I find out more.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 11-02-2010 01:40 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would anyone name their theater after an uncompressed graphics format? Even the best digital cinema still only uses Motion JPEG (or is it JPEG 2000?). Regardless, they should have named it JPEG.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 11-02-2010 01:49 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bitmap would give it an even more nostalgic feel;>

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 11-03-2010 12:58 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nobody ever uses classic theatre names anymore. They used to be named after people (usually women). Now they're named after towns, streets, or shopping malls. Sad.

Somebody suggested once that I should rename my theatre from the Roxy to the "Blake.". Which would be cool, but it would just not be right!

Tom Petrov
Five Guys Lover

- posted 05-11-2011 03:39 AM      Profile for Tom Petrov     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad, but it looks like at least one thumb down for the lightbox. It looks like it is not doing well, can you blame programming.

Putting more pop

Piers Handling and Noah Cowan get excited by strangers at TIFF Bell Lightbox.

“We’re going into screenings and we don’t recognize the audiences that are in there, which is really good,” says Handling, TIFF’s co-director and CEO.

“For the new guy on the block, we’re feeling really, really happy with how the shows have performed,” adds Cowan, the Lightbox’s artistic director.

Business people normally like to see familiar faces; it means repeat customers. For an enterprise as unique as TIFF Bell Lightbox, now six months old as Toronto’s new home for cinephiles, different rules apply — although there’s still a need to build audiences and to sell more popcorn.

TIFF knows how to attract dedicated film buffs, as it proves for 10 days every September with its world-famous Toronto International Film Festival. What’s tougher to do is keep that momentum going 365 days of the year, and also to pull in the more casual movie fans — in other words, to put more pop into this high-end popcorn palace.

The Lightbox has five public movie theatres within its complex at King and John Sts., ranging in capacity from 80 to 528 seats and showing a wide variety of films. There are also spaces for gallery shows and teaching seminars, plus several restaurants.

Yet a surprising number of Torontonians don’t know this.

A recent TIFF telephone survey, canvassing several hundred respondents, found that just 50 per cent of Torontonians are even aware of the Lightbox, despite regular media coverage during its many years of construction, which has intensified since the gleaming $196-million facility opened Sept. 12.

Anecdotal evidence, including two mini-surveys by the Star (see sidebars), suggests that the Lightbox awareness factor might be even lower than TIFF’s findings. The theatres are usually far from packed.

“What, they show movies in there?” is a commonly heard comment.

True to his glass-half-full disposition, Handling says he’s cheered by TIFF’s 50 per cent awareness finding:

“You know, establishing the venue is a key and you don’t establish a venue like this overnight. I think we now recognize it’s going to take us at least a year, if not longer, for the general public of the city to become aware of the fact that we’re here . . . I was really amazed and heartened to see that one out of two of the general public that we surveyed by phone are aware of TIFF Bell Lightbox. That’s 50 per cent of the Toronto audience.”

The even better news, perhaps, is that the people who do know about the Lightbox seem to be enjoying it, especially special shows such as the Tim Burton exhibition in the ground-floor gallery, which opened in November and wraps up this month.

Handling and Cowan are delighted that the five most well-attended films to screen so far at the Lightbox indicate they’re hitting many of the cultural marks programmers set for themselves, with Canadian, documentary, classic and avant-garde films all represented.

In order of popularity, the Lightbox’s greatest hits to date are:

• Incendies: Quebecer Denis Villeneuve’s Oscar-nominated thriller of revealed family secrets.

• Kings of Pastry: A documentary of competitive French pastry chefs, by doc-making veterans D A Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus.

• 2001: A Space Odyssey: Stanley Kubrick’s sci-fi classic, in 70 mm.

• Enter the Void: Gaspar Noé’s mind-tripping after-life journey of transgressive devotion.

• Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives: Apichatpong Weerasethakul’s Palme d’Or-winning dreamscape of family ghosts, a film that played in Toronto longer than in New York.

“We’re on track,” says Cowan, speaking of the Lightbox as a whole.

“The key learning thing we had here was that some times of the year do well. For example, the Christmas season was incredible here. And some other times of the year, you’re a little bit slower. But we seem to be following the trends of the other major institutions in the city, the ROM and the AGO especially, and we feel like the numbers that we’re generating from the (Burton) exhibition are really competitive with their shows.”

Hard Lightbox attendance figures are difficult to come by. The few that are available show steady if not spectacular progress.

“As of the end of February, we had 292,000 people into the building,” Handling says, reading off the stats.

“That’s close to six months, so we should be on target for somewhere between 600,000 to 700,000 admissions for the full year because, obviously, during TIFF we’ll have a lot of people coming in over the 10 days. That figure will spike. It will only get stronger.”

Besides TIFF, the Lightbox will also be home this year for the first time for the Sprockets and Hot Docs festivals, which Cowan describes as “people magnets.”

Cowan also announced recently a big exhibition devoted to Italian auteur Federico Fellini, coming in June following a successful run in Paris. He’s confident that will be as popular as the Burton exhibition.

Handling is particularly pleased with how many schools and students have discovered and enjoyed the Lightbox.

“Six months in, and we’ve already got major traction there. We’ve had about 30 universities and another 60 high schools have been in the building since we started, so those are fantastic figures.”

Still, even with the top figure of 700,000, that’s still well short of the 1 million people mark that TIFF is budgeting for, a figure that also includes the touring shows.

Handling and Cowan express confidence in reaching that magical 1 million figure, as awareness of the Lightbox grows: “With the film festival and the Film Circuit and all of our other activities, we’ll get pretty darned close, if not hit it, I think,” says Cowan.

Distributors who supply films for TIFF Bell Lightbox paint a slightly less rosy picture, although they remain enthusiastic about the facility’s potential.

“When I went to see (the 1955 Frank Tashlin comedy) Artists and Models, there were five people in the audience,” says Ron Mann of filmswelike, whose five Lightbox attractions to date have included Uncle Boonmee.

“I thought this was an off night, but apparently this is a frequent problem — people are staying away. Why? It’s not location, because the O&B Canteen is always busy.

“My guess is that there is no experience at exhibition. Take the gorgeous and expensive program: Can you figure out what’s playing on any given night? I can’t!”

The TIFF web site (TIFF.net) is another source of contention. Tom Alexander, the director of theatrical releasing for Mongrel Media, which has opened 13 titles at the Lighbox (including Cannes prize winner Of Gods and Men), calls the website less user-friendly than it should be.

He’s “happy” with the Lightbox, but has suggestions for improvement.

“It’s a gorgeous place to see a film, both aesthetically and technically in terms of presentation. It is truly a world-class cinema complex. However, I think part of the reason for the lower-than-expected box office is due to the look: As beautiful as it is, the high design is somewhat imposing for moviegoers.

“The biggest change I would suggest for the building would be giving more space for showcasing what films are coming up . . . given the street traffic on King St., I think they need to find a way to get people into the building who are in the area. It doesn’t really ‘look’ like a movie theatre and they need the outdoor-facing signage and posters to show what movies are coming up, and to make the complex feel more accessible.”

Handling agrees that the web site needs work. He and Cowan are also committed to improving the signage at the Lightbox, although both reject the suggestion of installing a standard theatre marquee, as many people have suggested.

The one major problem Handling and Cowan admit to is poor concession sales. Concessions are an essential part of the revenue stream for movie houses, but TIFF has historically not viewed itself as an aggressive hustler of popcorn, soda and hot dogs. That may change, because TIFF needs the money.

“Every piece of revenue matters,” Handling says. “We’ve stretched the budget this year by an extra $10 million coming into the building, so our budget has gone from about $22-23 million overall to $33 million. So you’re looking for every single piece of revenue you can find.”

The concession stand already sells popcorn, soda and other theatre treats, recently expanded by offering baked goods and pastries. There’s been discussion about including such high-profit items as burgers and hot dogs, but it’s a touchy topic. Many of the Cinematheque Ontario people who moved to the Lightbox from the AGO are hardcore cinephiles who object to anything more than bottled water in screenings.

Another possible revenue source might be to widen the Lightbox film roster to include the multiplex movies it currently doesn’t show on a regular basis. Why not add such high-end Oscar winners as The King’s Speech, The Social Network and Black Swan to the mix, perhaps as part of a director’s retrospective?

That’s not out of the question, but would put the not-for-profit Lightbox in competition with for-profit theatres, such as the Cineplex-run Scotiabank a few blocks to the north.

Even at the blue-sky stage where the idea is at now, it brings a note of worry to the measured response of Cineplex’s Pat Marshall:

“The focus of TIFF is to keep the festival pure, which means playing Canadian films and art films. We have a theatre (Scotiabank) located not far away from the Lightbox. TIFF uses that theatre and some of our other theatres during the festival. With the theatres being so close to one another, it wouldn’t make sense for them to show the same movies.”

None of these problems are insurmountable or unexpected, and there’s immense amount of goodwill amongst the various parties to make the Lighthouse an unqualified success. Ellis Jacob, Cineplex’s president and CEO, sits on TIFF’s board and also chairs its audit committee. He knows how to make a movie theatre work.

It must be remembered that the Lightbox is still a work in progress, with some finicky physical details still to be worked out — including how to stop a pesky draft outside Theatre 3, “which just makes people’s hats blow off,” says Cowan.

TIFF Bell Lightbox certainly wants to blow minds and hats, Cowan jokes, “but after the film!”

Follow Peter Howell on Twitter: @peterhowellfilm

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: