Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Raising money for restoration

Author Topic: Raising money for restoration
Brian Rose
Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2010 09:30 PM      Profile for Brian Rose   Email Brian Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, this isn't a thread asking for handouts (unless anyone INSISTS).

For those not familiar, I'm hoping to revitalize a theatre with 70mm projectors, which they've heretofore used for 35mm only. Of course, as I do more research, and read more of your advice, I see that this will be no means be a cheap endeavor. There will be a lot of work necessary, especially with the sound.

Which comes to the issue of money. I'm sure some of you out there have been where I am. If you were involved in a theater restoration or upgrade, how did you get your financing? Fundraisers? Public funding? Private foundations? Private donations? All of the above?

Your advice, as always, is most appreciated!

Best,

BR

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-24-2010 10:11 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This should probably be at ground level, but I'll let the admins deal with that.

Is this a business or a hobby?

Are you non-profit? If not you're not going to have much luck fundraising.

Is the theatre currently operating? If so, that's going to be the source of your funds.

You may wish to check out the League of Historic American theatres (lhat.org). I've learned alot over the years from them (we are a non-profit single screen art house).

Give us some more details and we can encourage or discourage you;>

Brian Rose
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2010 10:07 AM      Profile for Brian Rose   Email Brian Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're right, this probably belongs in a different section. Admins, feel free to relocate with my apologies!

BR

Manny Knowles
"What are these things and WHY are they BLUE???"

- posted 10-25-2010 12:16 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two words: Naming Opportunities.

Perhaps there may be interest from companies like DTS, Dolby and Kodak to have their names conspicuously associated with the event. Maybe they'd agree to loan you some equipment in exchange for the recognition.

Similarly, UPS or FedEx might offer discounted shipping in exchange for some promotional consideration.

It's possible they may go for it out of the kindness of their hearts, but I think your chances are better if you can demonstrate how something like this could be good for business. The most obvious thing to point out is that an event such as this could inspire people to bring the big-screen experience home. Every customer gets a brochure with their tickets to market <whatever product>.

And of course the corporate names/logos are prominently displayed/mentioned in all marketing material (including press releases, interviews, etc).

Perhaps there are local donors who would like to have the overall event named in their honor (or in the name of a loved one).

Brainstorming ways to make money is easy -- the tough part is really the execution. We aren't all cut from the same cloth and that means some people have a knack for the required grunt work, while others (like myself) do not. I've never been any good at "begging" and I'm always in awe of people who can go out and make it rain. Know thyself. If this isn't your strong point, find someone who has a solid track record in fund-raising.

First things first - do the research and find out what's required and, then, what it's all going to cost.

Identify your biggest line items -- these become the naming opportunities. For example:

Shawnee 70mm Festival presented by...
70mm films made possible by a grant from....
70mm projection system made possible by....
70mm sound systems by...

etc.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 10-25-2010 01:06 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nicely put Manny.

I have one customer who is great at the fund raising and grant request aspect.

IMHO, any cinema society or whatever this entity is going to be called needs to be about a lot more than a film format.

It has to be about interesting programming of all kinds. 70mm is just one sub-category.

Manny Knowles

- posted 10-25-2010 03:35 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...especially since there are only so many available 70mm titles.

For example, the Aero Theatre in Santa Monica (CA) does a 70mm festival about every summer and it's usually the same titles year after year. If that's all they were about, it'd get old pretty quick.

It sounds like Brian's venue is a commercially operating cinema that he plans to hijack for this event. If that's the case, it's unlikely that cinema would be at his disposal all year-round.

Once he's worked out the kinks in Kansas, perhaps Brian might consider taking his show on the road, rehabbing the dormant gear in booths across America.

And this isn't really a "fund raising" idea, but it would save you a lot of money --> partner up with the top radio station in Shawnee and see if they'll give you free publicity in exchange for a naming opportunity. I've often seen radio stations take the "presented by" or "presented in partnership with" naming opp.

And don't stop with just one radio station. Check out the surrounding areas. People have been known to drive hundreds of miles to see 70mm.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-26-2010 11:18 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Without being a 501(c)(3) you can forget about donations or free loans of equipment, etc. Go find a local attorney who knows how to get these things, as our people found out, it's too complex for most people to figure out. Don't try to bullshit you way into it either---the IRS multiple checks everything in your application.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-26-2010 11:50 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the plan to purchase/lease the building and operate it as a cinema, or is the plan to four-wall an existing commercial cinema for "film society"-type events?

Either method could work, but the latter probably means being classified as a nontheatrical and having to book through Swank/Criterion instead of dealing directly with the film distributors. You don't want to be a nontheatrical exhibitor if you can avoid it--it just means extra red tape and, usually, cost, vs. dealing directly with the film distributors.

In any caes, as mentioned above, you need to talk to a lawyer and start the process to become a 501(c)3 or similar before you can accept donations. In the meantime, you might be able to get "fiscal sponsorship" through another, related nonprofit organization (film festival, film society, university, etc. accepts donations on your behalf, collecting a per centage for the trouble).

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2010 12:26 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

Money laundering is illegal.

KEN

Manny Knowles

- posted 10-26-2010 01:02 PM      Profile for Manny Knowles   Email Manny Knowles   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Enos
Without being a 501(c)(3) you can forget about donations or free loans of equipment, etc.
Technically correct but there's more than one way to skin a cat (without resorting to money laundering).

This is where bartering comes into play. I believe you CAN get loans in exchange for promotional consideration. Go back and re-read my previous post. It's brilliant!

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-26-2010 01:11 PM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be easier and less legally questionable to have the 70mm project as a program of the another non-profit if a suitable one exists. No need for money laundering. Just come up with a budget and a program and the non-profit presents.

Obviously, many things to consider in such an arrangement, but not uncommon.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-26-2010 01:27 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wasn't suggesting money laundering. It is common (and, I believe, entirely legal) for nonprofit organizations to provide funds for other nonprofit organizations which do work which is within the scope of their mission. See Wikipedia article on fiscal sponsorship.

A nonprofit which is not yet a 501(c)3 but which is working toward becoming one (which involves substantial paperwork) will not attract many individual donors, but may be able to attract funding of other, larger nonprofits.

(I'm not a lawyer. Obviously, the original poster needs to consult one before soliciting donations from anyone.)

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-26-2010 05:29 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're not "non profit" until the IRS says you are, either you are or you are not, you can't operate as such till status is granted. All non profits are not 501s but for the donations to be tax deductible to the donor they must be. The non 501s just don't have to pay taxes on their income subject to many restrictions.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: