Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Ground Level   » Should we join NATO

Author Topic: Should we join NATO
Celine Negrete
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2010 04:06 PM      Profile for Celine Negrete   Author's Homepage   Email Celine Negrete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, we are a single-screen (62-seat) arthouse in rural Northern California. I have been trying to find out the cost of becoming a member of NATO by searching their website and have been unable to find it.

Does anyone know what it costs? And...more importantly, would we benefit from membership? I am new to all of this!

Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-23-2010 05:16 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've been a NATO member for many years. I'm not sure what the dues are but I'll look it up tonight when I get to work. The minimum is either $100 or $150 for a single screen.

Membership benefits? You will find a lot of negativity toward NATO on this forum. To me it's better if you think of the things they do for the industry as a whole (watching out for stupid new rules from the state and governments, especially) rather than yourself specifically. I can tell you they've helped squash dopey new censorship laws and "soda taxes" here in Montana on multiple occasions.

Celine Negrete
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2010 06:24 PM      Profile for Celine Negrete   Author's Homepage   Email Celine Negrete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info! One reason why I was considering it was because I was considering attending CinemaCon next year and the cost is lower for NATO members.

But, I was curious as to `what folks thought about NATO as an organization. Especially if they work for or own an independent theatre.

Same question...whether small theatre owners or managers can get anything out of CinemaCom?

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-23-2010 06:36 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cinemacon is the new incarnation of Showest. Check out the older picture sets of Showest in the picture gallery for some idea of what you will see there.

I haven't been, but it seems to be mostly a chance to see some screenings and check out the latest products and services for the exhibition industry. If that would be interesting and/or useful to you, then it's probably worth going at least once.

As for NATO, call them and see what they say. They might be able to send you some materials for you to peruse.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-24-2010 12:58 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dues for a single screen are $100 a year.

Also, here's a link to the official website.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-24-2010 02:53 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can't answer your question about NATO, but have you looked into the Arthouse Convergence? It might be an organization more tailored to your needs.

http://www.arthouseconvergence.org/

Celine Negrete
Film Handler

- posted 10-24-2010 09:53 PM      Profile for Celine Negrete   Author's Homepage   Email Celine Negrete   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the NATO info, Mike B!

And, Mike O., thanks too. I attended the Art House Convergence last January after only a couple of months on the job. Attending again next January. I highly recommend it for anyone involved in exhibiting arthouse films!

Ky Boyd
Hey I'm #23

- posted 11-09-2010 09:24 PM      Profile for Ky Boyd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Celine - you can join CA/NV Nato without joining the national NATO. One of the nice things about CA/NV Nato is you can go the the Spring and Fall Manager's meetings and see all the same trailers you could see in the studio reels at CinemaCon or whatever they renamed ShoWest for free. Manager's meetings are held each spring and fall in the LA and SF Bay areas. In addition NATO of CA does Sexual Harrassment Prevention training workshops, Certified Food Handler training sessions and other CA required stuff at significantly reduced cost vs. other vendors offering similar classes. And usually these are tailored as much as possible to the industry, though the Food Handler training rules in CA mean you still have to know all about meat and other temps even though you may only be making popcorn. Hope this helps.

Kenneth James Bacon
Film Handler

- posted 11-10-2010 10:48 PM      Profile for Kenneth James Bacon   Author's Homepage   Email Kenneth James Bacon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, join NATO.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: